*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1590666-Violet-And-The-Fire-Goblins
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1590666
Childrens story about a lost little girl.
Violet and the Fire Goblins

Out in the country, in the middle of nowhere, lived a little girl named Violet. She lived with an elderly man and woman, as she was orphaned when the old couple found her and welcomed her into their home as if she were their own.

The house was a quaint log cabin with just three rooms. A room for the old man and woman, a room for Violet and a large room where they gathered to cook, eat and just spend time together. The furnishings were modest and the decorations simple in nature. They all loved each other every much and were very happy.

The little log cabin was situated among a large group of trees; the trees were humongous and were full with green leaves that provided shade to the cabin when the sun was bright. The best thing of all, according to Violet, was the ever-extending field of flowers.

Violet loved flowers very much and they happened to be in full bloom. They displayed an alluring array of colors. There were red flowers, blue ones, purple ones, pink ones and yellow ones. She would spend hours walking through the floral fields, smelling the soft petals and picking the flowers. She felt great joy when giving them to the little old woman.

One afternoon Violet decided to follow the flower field to discover where it ended. She kept close watch on the little log cabin, so as not to stray too far. But Violet found so many colorful blooms and different types of flowers that she forgot about the cabin and continued walking among the flowers, smelling and picking them along the way.

Suddenly Violet noticed that the sun was sinking and the light of day was disappearing. She turned to face the direction from which she had come, hoping to see the cabin, but it was nowhere to be seen. It had grown too dark and poor Violet had lost her way. She decided to walk in the direction from which she thought she had come, following the path as best she could under the dull light of the full moon.

Violet soon found herself at the edge of a riverbank. In the distance, on the other side of the gently flowing water she saw a fire. Around the fire she saw the most grotesque creatures dancing and singing. They were short and stalky. Their bodies were covered with a thick coat of fur. The teeth appeared quite large; even in the distance as they glistened under the moon lit sky. Some of the creatures were beating on trees with sticks, trying to break out a tune. Violet even heard words, and even though she could not hear too well, the tune was ugly and frightening to her.

Suddenly, the creatures stopped dancing, making music and singing. They lifted their ugly heads up, faced off into Violets direction and pointed their noses into the air. The silence soon developed into a horrible ruckus. The creatures howls, growls and screams developed into a horrific sounding frenzy. Violet was paralyzed with fear and could not move.

The creatures approached the riverbank and jumped into tiny boats and started oaring their way toward Violet. She did not feel good about the creatures and was soon able to take control of her fear and run as fast as she could away from the river.

Suddenly, something sprang from among the tall forest trees and grabbed Violets arm. She screamed in fear when a strong voice said to her, “Hello, are you lost?”

“Yes, I am lost”, said Violet as she broke down in tears. “I was picking flowers in the field and lost my way.”

“I am John”, said the boy, “I live just on the other side of the flower field. I know this forest well and it is not safe for you to be out at night.”

“Yes”, said Violet. “It’s not safe and I fear that the creatures may hurt me. Why, may I ask, are you out at such an hour?”

“I was searching for a lost pet and lost track of time. I heard the music and the howling of the fire goblins”, John said with fear in his voice. “Describe where you live so that I may take you home.”

“I live within the flower fields in a little log cabin. The very old man and woman will be worried about me. They told me to never stray far.”

“We must hurry,” said John, “I know where you live and we can follow the stars. The stars are always my guide.”

With that said the two children ran off into the night together. Not far behind them they could hear the footsteps and snorts of the fire goblins. The sound of crackling twigs and rustling leaves seemed to draw nearer.

Violet now remembered the elderly man and woman telling her about the fire goblins, They dance around a fire at night hoping to attract the curiosity of any lost children to the glow of the embers and the sounds of the music, Once they smell the little children they chase them, capture them and eat them.

Panic overtook poor Violet, but John held her hand with a strong grip and pulled her along through the forest. The sun began to rise and Violet could just begin to see the outline of the log cabin in the distance.

The fire goblins were right behind them now and one reached out and just about grabbed John when the sun popped up and the creature disappeared. In fact all the fire goblins disappeared and John and Violet were now safe.

When Violet arrived at the little log cabin, the old man and woman were overjoyed to see her. She told them what had happened and how John had saved her from the creatures.

“Ah…..Yes” said the aged man, “The fire goblins eat young children. I thought we had warned you of this. But when the light of day comes the creatures shrink so small that you cannot see them. Children are protected by the light of day. This, my child, is why you must stay close to your home and not wander off at night.”

With that Violet gave the little old man and little old woman each a very strong hug.

© Copyright 2009 ScaryMary (scarymary at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1590666-Violet-And-The-Fire-Goblins