*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1592325-Another-Today-Another-Tomorrow
Rated: E · Chapter · Young Adult · #1592325
Chapter 1 of a story I'm putting together.
1

Michael and Kitty were driving mom nuts, and she’d just about had enough.  If it wasn’t Michael constantly playing computer games with the volume on max, it was Kitty moping around the house saying that she was bored every five minutes.  Worse, it wasn’t even school holidays yet, but that was only around the corner.  Two weeks of torture coming up in only another six days.
         The three lived in a nice little semi in Hawkesbury, on the outskirts of London.  The rooms were spacious and the area was pleasant enough, with a little kiddie park right opposite the house.  There was always the odd spot of trouble, but nothing like what went on in some of the other councils.  Even the park equipment was untagged and in good working order.
         Julie Jackson had moved to Hawkesbury with Michael and Kitty two years ago after the death of their father John in a car accident.  It had been a tough time when it happened; Michael was ten at the time and Kitty just eight.  They had all shed a lot of tears and grieved for a long time, but sadness had given way to anger and nightmares, especially with Kitty who often woke up in the middle of the night soaked in sweat from another bad dream.  Michael fought his demons by immersing himself in computer games after school instead of doing his homework.  He was falling behind big time, and the threat of repeating was on the cards if he didn’t get his grades up in time before the end of the school year.
         Kitty popped her head up from behind the couch.  ‘Can I come with you to lunch please?  I don’t want to stay here with Michael.  He’s so boring.’
         Julie sighed.  ‘I’ve already told you, only adults are going.  It’s Aunt Mary’s eightieth, so it’s rather a special occasion.  It’s not fair to her to have kids running around.’
         ‘I’ll be good, mom.  Promise.  And if you don’t want to leave Michael here by himself, then he can bring his laptop as well.  Pleeeeese.’
         Another sigh.  The truth was, kids were allowed, but Julie just needed some time out for herself.  Even if it was just for a couple of hours on a Sunday afternoon inside a stuffy old pub eating a roast.  ‘No, and that’s final ok.  Michael will look after you, and Mrs Anderson from up the street will pop in about two just to make sure everything’s ok.  Maybe you can read a book while I’m gone.’
         ‘I’ve already read everything mom,’ said Kitty, turning to look at the bookcase.  And she had.  Unlike her brother, Kitty was an avid bookworm and was top of her class at reading and writing.  She was already reading books meant for adults, and took a special interest in history and languages.
         ‘How about I pick you up a new book on my way home then?’
         Kitty’s blue eyes lit up.  ‘Would you?’
         ‘Sure.  You can read it in your room later tonight.  Might even let you stay up a little bit past your bedtime.’
         ‘Ace.’  And with the thought of missing out on afternoon trip to the county gone, Kitty turned her attention back to Mr Boots, her favourite black Siamese cat who was purring for attention on the couch beside her.
         With one child now satisfied, Julie went to check on Michael.  He was only twelve, but already she knew he was going to be the spitting image of his father.  His long stringy blonde hair and olive complexion was a striking match, and Michael had just undergone another growth spurt.  He looked much older that he was, and he would easily hit six foot by the time he stopped growing.  Julie would always have a memory of her husband in Michael.
         ‘Everything ok mate?’ she asked, poking her head around the corner of his bedroom.
         ‘Yep.’  Michael had his back to the door, engrossed in some shoot-em-up game.
         ‘I’m going out for a while to visit Aunt Mary.  Will you be all right to look after Kitty for a bit?’
         ‘Yep.  Sure mom.’
         ‘Don’t you have any homework to get on with instead of playing that all day?’  Julie bit her lip.  She was too soft with Michael, she knew that.  But it wasn’t in her nature to be tough.  She wasn’t like her husband.
         ‘I’ll do it a bit later, ok.  Promise, mom.’
         ‘Thanks mate.’  Even though he was behind in his schooling, she knew Michael would try his hardest when it was needed.  And if he said he would do something, he would.  Even if he got a big fat zero out of ten for his answers.
         ‘Ok, well I’ll be off soon.  Try not to spend all afternoon on that thing.’
         ‘No probs.  Love you mom.’
         ‘Love you too.’
© Copyright 2009 Professor Quibble (jason123123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1592325-Another-Today-Another-Tomorrow