*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1593317-Urban-Fantasy-Untitled-Project
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1593317
An urban fantasy story set in a post-apocalyptic city.
Dawn began to rise, spreading a honey colored frost across the city. Everything glittered; some of it danced on boarded up windowsills abd some of it glided through the crisp, cool air on snowflakes. Some of it had wings. Eithne watched the city transform into winter from her perch atop the Sears Tower. Most of the others hated this time of year and were especially grumpy when the first few days arrived. But not her; she relished all of it. The clarity of the whole atmosphere brought her a sense of calm and allowed her to truly see what was only hazily defined the rest of the year with her Gift. Those first few days of clarity were her favorite days of the year. She preferred to spend them in solitude as full concentration was imperative if she were going to deliver messages of any importance to Maeve.

Song - "Let's Pretend There is a Moon" - Fats Waller

Not that there'd be much to tell, anyhow. They'd failed their jobs as Protectors and there weren't many humans left these days, not since what had happened.

There were many of her kind, though. Anyone who was born with a Gift automatically became one of them. Nearly a century ago, a group of them had banded together to form the Council. They'd felt it was the moral duty of all Gifted mortals to look out for those who weren't.

Song - "A Rent Boy Goes Down" - Apostle of Hustle

More to follow!!
© Copyright 2009 Sonhadora (sonhadora at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1593317-Urban-Fantasy-Untitled-Project