*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1593320-Untitled-Scary-Camping-Project
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Thriller/Suspense · #1593320
I just wanted to have some fun and write a scary camping story.
Audrey was staring out the window at the back of the truck, trying to tune out the inane chatter coming from the front seats.

"I'm just sayin', Metallica is way past their prime, man," Paul said.

"You don't know what the hell you're talking about, asshole. They're classic." Eddie glared at him, looking almost as if he were ready to start a fist fight right then and there. At 6'3" and a hockey player, he always looked ready for it.

"Hey, knock it off and just drive, okay?" Amy yelled, smacking Eddie lightly on the forearm from the backseat. Miraculously, Eddie shut up. Amy had that effect on everyone she met.

Audrey cranked up the volume of her iPod, letting the music drown out the noise. She'd made a playlist just for the trip, but she didn't dare suggest hooking up her iPod to the car's stereo system - the boys were strictly hard rock, and Amy mostly listened to generic R&B and that annoying brand of country that may as well be called pop with a twang. She doubted they would take well to her selection of Beck, Apostle of Hustle, School of Seven Bells, David Bowie, Bjork, and a new local band called Ashes of Avalon. Thankfully, the boys has quieted down, and Amy had resigned to attempting to add yet another shade darker to her already impossibly dark skin and a shade lighter to her fragile, bleached hair. Her thoughts turned to Charlie, her brother. He'd been nice enough to invite her on this trip with all his friends, but hadn't been able to give her a ride. He'd drive up later after closing up shop at the diner where he worked with his best and oldest friend, Danny. She'd wanted to ride with them, but Charlie had insisted that she go with the first group so she'd have more time at the lake. She needed to get out and enjoy life once in a while, he'd said. So she agreed. I suppose I should try and make more conversation, she thought. She sighed and pulled out her earbuds.

"Hey, Amy," she started, trying to think of something less mundane than the weather to chat about. Without a word, Amy, rolled her head to the left, allowing her sunglasses to slide down the bridge of her nose.

"Umm...have you read anything good lately? I thought I'd pick up something new to read at the next stop and I wondered if you had any suggestions?" Amy yawned.

"You might want to pick up the latest issue of In Style. You should really do something with that hair." She pushed up her sunglasses and rolled her head back toward the window. Right. Audrey replaced the earbuds and hit play on the iPod controls, absently fingering a long lock of raven-black hair. Well, I tried. She'd give a shot at the boys later, perhaps when they were distracted at dinner. She closed her eyelids as the melody of David Bowie's "Ashes to Ashes" began.

More to follow!!
© Copyright 2009 Sonhadora (sonhadora at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1593320-Untitled-Scary-Camping-Project