*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1593491-City-of-Despair-or-the-Death-of-Idealism
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1593491
About love and loss."Better to have never loved at all than to have loved and lost"
I stumble in the dark corridors of my mind, staring down hallways that seem to stretch infinitely into the distance. I step forward, feet crunching on asphalt, tarry black roads heading away from me in four directions. Nothing breaks the monotony of the endless grey surroundings, as the mist brushes against me, leaving my skin clammy and moist. The signpost to my right is wordless, blank arrows shooting towards an unknown future. I drew my coat around me, and started to shiver violently.

You led me here. You led me past idyllic expanses of green, past bubbly springs that threw water droplets into the air, like little crystals flung with careless abandonment. You led me to the foot of a rainbow, where I found the taste of your lips to be more appealing than a hundred bags of gold. We climbed up the rainbow, your hand in mine, pausing at its peak to marvel at the distant mountains, framing a setting sun that splashed crimson over a shadowy blue sky.

We descended as the rainbow faded, past the long forgotten monuments of the City of Despair, huge monoliths rising up from amidst broken structures, obsidian skyscrapers that cut fine vertical lines in the horizon. We gazed in awe at their solemn majesty, respectfully silent with our heads bowed, in tribute to the pain and hurt of a past life. We stare into each other’s eyes, and promise never to be buried in this graveyard of shattered dreams.

Inevitably, splotches of brown mar the emerald fields, and trees in the distance wither and die. Rainbows fade as water droplets dissipate, rising to the heavens to descend once more as little orbs of coldness that trickle down our backs. Streams which once bore pristine water turn murky with mud, little pieces of debris bouncing erratically along the bottom. Even the melodious chirping of birds has ceased, frightened away by voices disfigured by anger and frustration. The roads twist and turn, potholes the size of planets causing us to stumble and fall. I lose my grip on you, grasping desperately at the empty spot where your hand should be. You seem to step further away as all life around me decays and succumbs to Death, the acrid stench of decomposition slowly being replaced by a total absence of scent. Finally, you disappear into the distance, and I find myself alone in the dark, staring sightlessly at the paths around me, a bewildered child left alone without a compass.

I know that whichever way I head, the destination would be the same. I take a hesitant step forward, than another, heading towards my destiny with a sigh of resignation. Finally, I cross the threshold into the place I once viewed from a distance. I stagger over to a nearby broken bench, and lay my ragged body in its stone cold grip. Exhausted and empty, I shut my eyes and drift off into a dreamless sleep, the sound of my shallow breath disturbing the perfect stillness of the City of Despair.

End.


I NEED YOU SO BADLY I CANT THINK I CANT BREATHE MY HEART TEARS INTO TWO I NEED PLS NOW I CANT DONT CARE I CANT NOT CARE WHY ARENT YOU HERE WITH ME RIGHT HERE BY MY SIDE RIGHT NOW.


© Copyright 2009 Firefly (rtkfirefly at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1593491-City-of-Despair-or-the-Death-of-Idealism