*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1594394-Under-a-Lenz
Rated: 13+ · Other · Dark · #1594394
Flash story
Lenz saw even in the dim light that Jenkins had a rather large hole blasted through him and quite a bit of him on the wall.  The room suddenly got very bright and very full of people pointing weapons at him.  He held up his hands and weapon.  "Federated Police!  I have an ID in my pocket, left rear!"  From behind, Lenz felt his id being removed and the call to lower weapons was issued. 
Lenz watched as a very irritated local cop with the name R. Barnes on the name tag and a shoulder patch for Parnell County Sheriff Department stepped forward.  “Darn you Feds! He was about to crack and give us names of more of them religious nuts!  Why did you have to blast him?”
“I didn’t” Lenz said quickly.  “I walked in here about two minutes before you did and he was like that.”  Seeing that the tirade was about to start again, Lenz raised his hand.  “I know you don’t believe me, but that's how it is.”
Barnes looked Lenz up and down and looking at his face he knew something wasn’t right and yet, he knew the man in front of him didn’t do it.  “OK, let’s say that I believe you, who else besides the Feds have a Disruptor?”  Barnes pointed at the weapon Lenz carried.
“I was thinking the very same thing when you came in, Barnes.  You guys can go if you want.  I’ll take care of the body and the reports.  If I hear anything, you will be the first to know.”
Barnes grumbled under his breath as he called  his men together and headed out leaving Lenz alone with Jenkins.
After he was sure that they were gone, Lenz knelt down in front of Jenkins and grabbed his hand.  The tears he had held back now began to flow as he looked into the unseeing eyes of his friend.  “Bruce.  I’m so very sorry..”  His words trailed off as he wept.  “Lord, I owe so much to this man, and I tried to keep him safe.  I failed him and you.  I killed so many like him and yet you saved me.”  In his grief, Lenz failed to notice his surroundings.
“Very touching, Lenz, very touching”  said a familiar voice behind him. 
“Calvin!  How much did you hear?” 
“Enough”  Calvin raised his Disruptor and pointed it at Lenz’s chest.
© Copyright 2009 sonlight (paprbackwriter at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1594394-Under-a-Lenz