*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1594629-From-Opposite-Sides-of-a-Wall-Part-2
by Zer0
Rated: E · Fiction · Fantasy · #1594629
The hardships of peace between humans and vampires.
I turned down the street disappearing from her view, leaning against the nearest wall with a heavy sigh.
         "Why do I always say too much?" I asked myself aloud.
         "Why do you always lurk around here?" came a voice from my side.
         I did not flinch. I was used to him showing up here. I felt an arm around my shoulder that guided me out to moonlit streets of Duali. The moon illuminated more than  the streets. I turned to face my brother. The same color eyes bore into mine, his shoulder length hair the same color as mine as well. His lips twitched upward on his pale face to see that I was actually shaken by his stare. Looping a large, muscular arm around my shoulders he led me out into the square, guiding me home.
         "Honestly, I want to know why you hang around there." He began.
         I rolled my eyes. I could feel some sort of lecture coming on.
         "It's the princess, am I right?" he asked. "Do you have feelings for her?"
         I flinched, jerking my shoulder out of his powerful grasp as though he had burned me. My face screwed up in disgust. "Why would you even insinuate that?" I snapped. "She is merely an acquaintance." I paused. "Not even that. I've met her twice..." Hesitation. "Three times. Regardless, we hardly know each other."
         He stared at me as if trying to read my thoughts. The truth is he was reading my thoughts, but they gave away nothing more than what I was saying to him.
         "I find her intriguing." I finished. "She is nothing like her mother and I am interested to find out just how differently this city will be under her rule."
         He seemed to accept that for the moment so he replaced his arm and we continued home.
          The house was only a few feet away. I could see the white pillars that straddled the front door, beckoning us forward. The old house was huge and looked like it was falling apart from the outside. Ivy covered the walls like large green hands, threatening to crush the house in their grasp. However, the inside was immaculate. You would never be able to tell from the outside of the house though.
         As we walked slowly up the steps I listened for voices inside the house. I could just barely make out the deep, brisk tone of my father and the quick, alto tones of my uncle deep in conversation. I was really listening for the higher-pitched shrieks of my fathers wife. I could never consider the woman my mother. No mother would act so aloof with her children.
         My brother pushed the large, oaken doors open and stepped into the brightly lit hall. The butler stood at the end of the double staircases in front of us. He smiled and nodded a greeting as we walked past him to the library where my father and uncle were discussing some matters that they, no doubt, felt they needed to concern themselves with.
         My uncle, a tall man with an interesting figure for a vampire- being a bit on the portly side- was standing with his back facing us so he did not react to our entrance until my father's eyes flickered away from his face.
         "Gerard. Apollo." my father greeted us warmly. "How nice of you to join us."
         My uncle turned, revealing his handsome round features and puffy, almost fake looking lips. "Boys! You look marvelous!" he boomed with a smile.
         I rolled my eyes. Apollo chuckled. "Quite enthusiastic today, aren't we Melos?"
         My uncle feigned shock. "Why Apollo, you disappoint me. I am always enthusiastic, am I not?" he turned toward my father who smiled and shrugged in return.
         "Gerard, you've been out for quite a while." my father noted. He never seemed to overlook my absence.
         "It's only been a few days, father." I replied. "I was out on the town. It's quite beautiful at night. You should try to get out more often."
         He frowned slightly, knowing there was more information that I was not willing to release. Thankfully, he let the subject go and moved on to whatever it was that they had been talking about before.
         "Arthur." My uncle addressed my father. "I hope I'm not being rude by taking up the matter we were previously discussing."
         My father shook his head. "Certainly not." He turned toward Apollo and I. "You two may join this discussion if you wish. You will soon pick up on what is going on."
         We nodded. I felt obligated to join since my absence seemed to have bothered my father.
         "I really believe that you are wrong, Melos." my father started again. "The way things are turning out no one can predict what will come of the city."
         "No. No, I disagree." Melos replied, with a shake of his head. "The queen rules with an iron fist. She may be jolly and kind, but she knows her limits and the limits of the city. Her daughter on the other hand has been concealed. She has not the faintest idea of what ruling a city like this means; what it entails."
         I froze in my seat. They were talking about Allegra. They were talking about her, but they had no idea who she was. I felt my shoulders tense.
         "I think the girl will need some help." Apollo interjected. "She has her mother to back her up, at least when she is first starting out. I do not believe that she will bring this city to ruins. I'm sure whoever she chooses as a suitor will understand the city of Duali. He can help her through this as well."
         I clenched my jaw, grinding my teeth together. Why was this discussion upsetting me?
         "She will need more than a little bit of help, Apollo." Melos shook his head. "She knows nothing. Absolutely nothing. What she sees from her window, what she's heard from her mother, it can never compare to actually experiencing the city of Duali as it is. She will bring this city to ruins."
         "You know nothing about her."
         The men in room all turned their attention to me.
         "Excuse me?" My uncle's eyes narrowed.
         "You know nothing about her." I repeated. "You cannot sit here and say these things about her. You do not know her and you do not know the future. It's wrong of you to assume that she will ruin the city. I believe... No... I know that she has more knowledge of this city than anyone could imagine and she wants nothing more than peace. She knows that this city is fragile. Her mother cannot even see that. You said the queen rules with an iron fist, Melos. This is true, but ruling with an iron fist will not save this city. The iron fist is firm. Too firm for the brittle streets of Duali. They will crack under her rule. And when they do crack, Allegra will take up the crown and fix the damage. She can heal what we are trying to tear apart. The people of this city do not understand what we have. We are two different species, living as one. We are not all that different. Allegra understands this. She is still disgusted by our kind, and I cannot blame her. She has only seen and heard of those who are trying to destroy the peace this city offers. But if we can show her that there are those of our kind out there, those vampires like us, who truly do want this peace to last, then maybe she can have the strength to keep this city together. She is stronger than you give her credit for. I believe she can pull us together. I believe Duali will finally be whole under her rule."
         The whole room had gone silent. I was fuming. My brother edged away from me, feeling the anger seeping out of my pores.
         "Gerard," my father began. "You cannot side with the humans."
         I stood in one quick, fluid movement. My chair flew out behind me, crashing into a bookcase and sending a mountain of books to the floor.          "I am not siding with a human." I growled. "Everyone in Duali should be equal. I thought this family believed in that. I am siding with one of my own. If you do not believe that, I guess you are not one of them."
         I stomped out of the house, slamming the large oak doors behind me as I went. The house shook behind me, and I ignored the shingles that fell off the roof in my wake. How dare they? My family was just like everyone else. No one understood. I kept walking, letting my legs lead the way because my mind was too clouded to control them.
         I turned a corner, finally glancing up to see where my legs had taken me. Before me stood the castle. Above me was the balcony that I had visited the past few nights. I did not mean to end up here, but maybe it was a sign. Allegra understood me. She believed the same thing I did. Did anyone else? Were we the only ones?

         I waltzed around the immaculate walls surrounding the grounds of the royal house. It was ridiculous that I should end up exactly where I had started. Wasn't talking to her what got me here in the first place? And yet... I could not bring myself to stay away. There was something there that I could not quite grasp and my curious nature would not allow me to walk away. Ignoring the words of my ignorant family members I leapt lithely upon the top of the wall and slid into a sitting position. I waited, perched in a position that left one of my legs hanging off the wall and the other foot planted firmly upon it. I stared at the balcony willing her to wake, to step out into the early morning air and greet me with a smile I was not sure I deserved, but surely wanted.
         I didn't have to wait long. Almost as though my thoughts were guiding her she stepped out onto the balcony and stared pointedly at the spot that I had chosen to sit. She stood there, eyes asking the questions her mouth had not yet chosen to say out loud.
         "Forgive me." I began, "I know I have no right to be back so soon." She opened her mouth to protest, but I held up a hand to silence her. "I want nothing more than your presence. I know that may even be too much to ask, seeing as the last time I invaded your personal space you were forced inside, but I need someone who understands me. And right now the only person I can think of is you."
         She stared at me now at a complete loss for words. I knew I was being quite forward, but I could not help it. She was the only person who saw this city for what it really was. I had no one else to turn to.
         "You confuse me." She finally said. I frowned slightly, but let her continue. "I know what I said about vampires was wrong. Of this I am now certain. We are all alike. But you! You are a differently person entirely. You are a vampire yet you view the world through human eyes. This is not even the beginning. While you see the world as a human you criticize it like a vampire, but you still feel everything a human feels about this criticism. I just do not understand."
         I was shocked. I had never been analyzed in such a way as this. She questioned my very being without actually asking why I existed. She questioned who I was without actually asking "Who are you?". Where did this girl come from?
         "Don't get me wrong." She said suddenly, "I think I want you here just as much as you want to be here. You understand me like no one else. Even Aimon cannot see what it is I envision this city to be. But I want to get to know you better. It's not just seeing eye to eye that brings us together. I want to know why you are so drawn to me, and I to you."
         "Well now...." I started, "That is an interesting statement. But if you don't mind me asking, Allegra, just how do you plan on doing this? I'm sorry, but I would feel much more comfortable getting to know you in closer proximity than this balcony allows. Yet you claim I am the one who got you in trouble and forced you inside. This is a dilemma indeed."
         Allegra laughed. She laughed! I had never heard such an amazing sound in all my life. It was like she was channeling her inner child in a angelic, melodious chorus of chimes. Beautiful.
         "Come inside." she beckoned with her forefinger. "I am the princess after all. If you were considered my guest of honor there is no reason why you should not be allowed inside."
         For once I was the one to hesitate. I knew her mother could be kind and gentle, but as I was just discussing with my uncle the queen dealt an iron fist. As much as I wanted to get closer to Allegra I was not sure how much I was willing to risk that fist being turned upon me. I could not give her an answer right away. I actually had to consider the possibilities of her mother rejecting me. I knew her bodyguard, Aimon, would prefer her to stay away from me. But if this was what she truly wanted, if she were to order them to allow me inside, what could they do about it?
         "You seem unsure, Gerard." She smirked, "Is your boundless confidence on a downward slope?" Her smile widened when I hesitate to answer yet again. "If coming into my home frightens you that much I will not force you to step inside. But as I stated earlier I am not allowed outside the grounds. This, of course, is what I am blaming you for. So we could just continue this conversation from our usual posts if that would appease you."
         I smirked right back. "Well, milady. I was merely thinking how rude it would be of me to impose myself upon your prestigious household. I'm sure your mother would favor me much more than yourself, seeing as my charming personality is quite contagious. I would not want to make you jealous in any way, But if you insist upon my entrance into your home then of course I will oblige."
         She frowned deeply. "Then come inside, my friend" She growled defensively. "We'll see just how true your assumptions really are."
         I smiled. "As you wish"

         I walked through the front gate, avoiding the questioning stares of the guards and made my way up to the large front door. I was greeted by Allegra herself, which startled me. I had expected a servant to answer the door, but this was quite a bit more pleasing. Though I just seen her the day before, her beauty still shocked me. Her hair was such a gorgeous color, the red-blonde locks framing her pale, rounded features perfectly. Her figure was exceptional for a human. It was rude of me to stare. I was aware of this, but I was a man after all. I could not help myself.
         Allegra blushed when she realized the way my eyes ran over her body, but she slid to the side allowing me passage into her immaculate home. The hall was more amazing than I had expected. Our home was nothing to scoff at, but this was nothing to turn away from. There was so much to capture your attention I was unsure of what to look at first. Suits of armor, hand-painted portraits, countless antiques. The floors were made of a marble similar to streets of the city, but somehow much more appealing. The ceiling was made of a shimmering glass that allowed guests to view the sky as though it were a perfect painting above their heads.
         I was so absorbed in the hall itself that I payed no attention to its inhabitants. I was pulled away from gazing at the amazing ceiling by Allegra's soothing voice, whispering to a woman I immediately recognized as her mother. Maalia Sharey was an imposing woman. Her hair was a shade darker than her daughters, giving her slightly aging features a sharper look than necessary. She smiled as I approached, but the smile was almost too tight. It made the skin of her cheeks cling to the bones in an alarming fashion. I almost turned away, but that would have been exceptionally rude. Instead I flashed a brilliant smile right back which seemed to throw her off guard.
         "Gerard Airez." She greeted me with a nod, "Such a pleasure to make your acquaintance."
         I bowed slightly, inclining my head to show respect for her position. "My father speaks a great deal in your favor. I'm glad to finally meet the woman he speaks so highly of."
         The queen inclined her head in return. "How is Arthur doing? Well, I presume?"
         I nodded. "He is in excellent health and wishes you the same for many years to come."
         "As I do for him." She replied, "But back to the matter at hand. What is it that brings you to our home, Gerard?"
         I hesitated, glancing at Allegra for support. It was only then that I realized that Aimon stood close behind her. A guard, a man who looked to be in his early fifties, stood close behind Maalia as well. This man bore a striking resemblance to Aimon which led me to believe that they were related. I ignored my assumptions concerning their guards and turned my attention back to the queen's question. "I came seeking the private counsel of your daughter, Allegra. There are a few things that I wish to discuss with her and I did not feel that it was my place to pull her out of her home for these matters."
         The queen's eyes narrowed. "Allegra may not leave the grounds. This is true. Even if she had been able to, you are correct in assuming that it is not your place to invite her out of the safety of the grounds. I'm afraid I cannot grant your counsel with her here either. For you see, she has many appointments lined up for today and it would be a shame if you were to pull her away from them."
         Allegra bristled beside her mother. "I have no appointments, mother." She snapped, "Why would you lie to our guest?"
         Maalia's eyes flashed with sudden anger. "I do not lie, Allegra!" She snapped right back, "How dare you insinuate such a thing! And as for the appointments, I assumed you would accompany me to my appointments today."
         Allegra's anger matched, if not surpassed, her mothers. "I was not scheduled for any of these appointments. We both agreed that I would stay out of them until I took the throne. Why the sudden change of heart, mother? Is it because I invited a vampire into our home? Does that displease you?"
         The queen was furious now. This was exactly what I had wanted to avoid. "Allegra!" she shouted, her anger erasing her composure completely. " You will do as I say! I decide who can stay in this house. If I feel I cannot trust someone then that is how I feel and I will not change that. You will cooperate with me."
         Allegra stepped forward and linked her arm with mine. She took a deep breath, an attempt to calm herself, before she spoke. "You have no say of who I invite into this house, or into my room, or anywhere. You cannot play the part of the puppeteer in my life anymore. I will no longer allow myself to be attached to those strings. Get used to it, mother, because soon I will rule this city. Soon my word will be law and I'm starting with you."
         With that said she pulled my arm up the staircase at the back of the hall and we disappeared from Maalia's view. The last thing I saw was the queen's shocked face and her guard, the older version of Aimon, stepping forward to put a gentle hand on her shoulder. Allegra had stood up to her mother. She had stood up for me. I knew I was right in believing that she was what this city needed. She had just confirmed what I already knew. Allegra was ready to take the throne. She was ready to combat the flaws of the city of Duali.
We sped through countless halls, around various corners, to get to Allegra’s room. I did not get the chance to take anything in on the way. I did however hear footsteps rushing toward us from behind. It did not take long for me to realize that they were Aimon’s. Naturally, he would follow his charge.
“Allegra, wait!” he called from behind us. But she did not slow down. In fact, his shout only seemed to make her move faster.
Soon she turned one last corner and flung me through a doorway which I assumed to be her room. I spun myself around in time to see her slam the door behind her just before Aimon could let himself in. I could hear his frantic knocks and words from beyond the door, but Allegra seemed intent on ignoring him.
She turned to me with a flustered smile and said, “Make yourself comfortable.”
I turned and took in her room for the first time. From the doorway you could see the whole thing. I glanced to the left to see the doors to the balcony still open, light shining through the opening and brightening up the room. Her walls were a soft, periwinkle blue- a color that suited her gentle nature. The large four poster bed was covered in sheets of a slightly darker shade of blue than her walls had been and the floor was a similar color as well. I figured this to be her favorite color as I scanned the rest of her living area.
Her dresser was covered in the usual things you would expect to find upon a woman’s dresser. She did not seem to care that all of this was exposed. Across from her bed was a large bookcase covering the majority of the wall. I smiled as my eyes zoomed in to some of the titles. She had decent taste in literature.
I was about to move to take a seat in one of the comfortable looking armchairs near the desk by her bed when the door burst open and Aimon stepped in.
“You locked me out?” he asked incredulously.
Allegra shrugged and continued to move about her room, picking up various objects that were strewn about her floor.
“I meant no harm and I certainly was not about to refute your demands.” he explained, following her around the room in an attempt to grab her attention.
She stopped retrieving her belongings from the ground and tossed what she had in an open drawer. Then she turned to face her guard, standing tall and looking very much like the monarch she was meant to be, and said “You may have done nothing to go against what I said down there to my mother, but you definately did not do anything to support them.”
Aimon opened his mouth to protest, but closed it just as quickly. There was nothing he could say in response to that. She was right after all.
“Aimon, I understand that as a guard it goes against everything you were taught to refute the demands of any royal member. You stood by and said nothing and as a guard I respect you for that. But as my friend I am disappointed. You said nothing to back up my words. You stood there and listened to my mother attempt to erase what I am trying to build for this city. I do not understand why you could not stick up for me in that situation. My mother would have done nothing to punish you. As a guard you are my responsibility. She would leave the punishment up to me and you know this. You could have helped me and you did nothing.”
I watched as Aimon’s face fell. I felt terrible. I myself had not said a word to aid Allegra and it was only now that I seemed to realize just how much that little argument had impacted her. She was standing up for me and I did not say a word. And here I was again, as she berated her closest friend for something I too should have done.
“Allegra,” I started, an apology already on the tip of my tongue.
She turned to me, the hurt in her eyes was clearly visible, but I was also able to see that I was not the one who had hurt her. “You have nothing to apologize for. If you had said anything, anything at all, my mother would have had you thrown out.” she said, so quietly it was almost a whisper, “Somewhere inside I think you knew this. I invited you in here. This whole thing was my fault, and I take the blame, but I do not want you to leave and I certainly do not want you thrown out.”
I looked up at Aimon apologetically, but he seemed to already have taken the hint because he was no longer there. I assumed he had gone out to the balcony, but a quick glance outside proved my assumption to be wrong.
I glanced at Allegra, noting her sudden movements and changing facial expressions with concern.
“I guess you were right.” I started in an attempt to lighten the mood.
“Excuse me?” She looked up from whatever it was she was doing.
“I guess you were right about my assumptions being wrong. Your mother clearly favors you over me.”
She smiled slightly and attempted a laugh, but it was so forced it was almost frightening. She bowed her head a bit and excused herself to the balcony. I frowned instantly. Why was this so difficult? Things were so easy when we were on the opposite sides of her wall. This thought frightened me. Is this what the city was meant to be? Were our kinds more compatible when seperated on the opposite sides of a wall?

I walked over to the doorway to the balcony and looked out to see Allegra resting her chin on her hands, looking out at the people on the streets below. I placed my palms against the doorframe, rocking my body back and forth as I decided whether or not I should go out there and talk to her. I decided on the one that would get me closer to her so I stepped across the threshold and took my spot next to her on the balcony. Out of habit, I glanced in her direction and watched as her hair blew in the gentle breeze, each strand catching its own beam of light and shining with a brilliance I never knew was possible for a human.
“I cannot understand why I feel like Aimon is not the one person I can trust the most anymore.” She whispered, starting the conversation on her own without my prompting it. “He’s just been so distant lately. Maybe it’s our age. I really have no idea. He never used to be so... so neutral around me. He never played the part of the guard when we were not under the scrutiny of the public eye. But now....”
She left the sentence unfinished, but I understood. It seemed to her as though Aimon no longer wanted to play the role of her best friend and it upset her. Aimon, on the other hand, was indeed pulling away because of their age. Allegra was soon to be married. It did not take me long to put two and two together to figure out that he was in love with her. He assumed that getting too close to her would arouse suspicion in regards to her suitor. Being her guard, he would never want incorrect assumptions to be made about his charge, his friend.
“Allegra...” She turned to face me, her beauty marred by the anguish she clearly directed toward her guard. “Aimon is not pulling away from you on purpose. He’s trying to protect you.” She shook her head, the anguish replaced by shock as she opened her mouth to question me. I help up a hand to silence her and continued. “As a man believe me when I say that I understand the predicament he has put himself in. I can say no more than that because this is not information that I should divulge. If you are curious as to what it is I am referring to then I would suggest asking Aimon yourself. But I doubt he will have any idea of what you are talking about because you yourself will have no idea what you are talking about.”
She tilted her head, clearly puzzled by my little speech. “Eh... Sorry. What are you talking about? That made absolutely no sense.”
I laughed. “Clearly.”
“That’s all you’re going to say?” she asked incredulously.
I nodded. “Sometimes it helps when very little is said. I’m giving you something to think about.” I turned to her and clasped my hands around her small, fragile arms. “Use it wisely.”
She stared at me for a moment before bursting into melodious laughter. “You are one strange man, Gerard.”
I laughed with her and turned my attention to the city. It’s beauty still amazed me, but from up here, from this entirely different view the city seemed so breathtakingly gorgeous I could hardly believe it to be real. Allegra did not realize just how lucky she was. There was so much you could do with a city like this. It was a glorious piece of clay. She could mold it and change it to her liking and no matter what she did to it the beauty would always stay the same.
“I cannot believe you see this every day.” I sighed in awe.
Allegra smiled slightly. “It is beautiful.” She admitted.
I stood there wondering why she could see what I envisioned for this city, but not for what it was right now.
Almost as if she could read my thoughts she said, “I bet you want to know why I have such an aversion to this city.”
I stared at her, shocked for a moment, and nodded my head.
“It is not like I hate the city.” she started, “I truly care for it. It is has always been my home and always will be. I just cannot understand why it seems so broken.” She sighed heavily. “I never used to think this, but then again I used to be so naive. When it started getting near the time when I should take the throne I really started to look at this city and all the baggage that came with it.” She turned her body away from the view and placed her palms upon the railing, locking her arms in place and leaning her body against the it. “There are so many flaws-so many things that need to be fixed. I just cannot understand why the people cannot truly get along. I see it all from here. It’s all fake. They try to keep the peace only because they would rather prevent violence than show their true colors. I would rather they be themselves. I want to know who I can trust. I love my people for who they are. I’m not going to lie and say that I can love all vampires. I mean to no offense.” She shot a look in my direction.
I shook my head. “I understand. I cannot blame you.” I inclined my head indicating that she could continue if she wanted to.
“I want to treat everyone equally and even if I cannot love them equally I will treat them as equals. You have shown to me that vampires are indeed human. I have seen, through you, that vampires can be trusted. I want this city to be what it was meant to be and I know this cannot happen overnight. I just wish there wasn’t so much that needs to be done to make it that way.”
I nodded. I was glad she understood how I felt. I just wished there was some way I could help her. I stared at her, taking in her posture, her expression, everything. She really was an amazing girl. I could see why Aimon had fallen for her.
Wait.... Did I just think that? There was no possible way that I could understand that. Not unless.... Oh God! I’ll admit that I am attracted to her. There was no way to deny that. She is beautiful. But I could not possibly have feelings. I couldn’t. I just couldn’t.
© Copyright 2009 Zer0 (zer0addiction at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1594629-From-Opposite-Sides-of-a-Wall-Part-2