*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1595736-No-Escape
by Lenore
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Emotional · #1595736
If he can't have her, no one will.
A sharp rap at the door startled her from an early afternoon nap on the couch. She bolted upright then slowly made her way to the door while, rubbing the sleep from her eyes. “I’m coming!” She yelled at the pounding at the door. She opened the door and gasped.

“Well, hello honey” he drawled in his thick southern accent as he pushed the door all the way open, “I thought I’d never see you again.” His steel eyes devoured her “Mmm. Mmmhm! It has been too long… Aren’t you going to invite me in?” He said as he pushed her aside and let himself into her apartment. He glanced around the living room, quickly noting the scant- barely lived in décor as he seated himself on her brown love seat, directly in front of the door. “If I didn’t know better, “he said as he spread his arms across the couch “I’d think you weren’t happy to see me. But, I know better.” He said, giving her a little wink. “Why don’t you come on over here”’ he said, patting the cushion beside him.

She jumped a little at the suggestion, shocked, shaking her head . No- no, this is not right... She must still be asleep. There is No Way that he found her. She felt ice-crystals forming in her stomach as she stared at the man on the couch and his hideous Cheshire grin.

She had left everything behind; convinced that she could get away from his surging moods, his cold eyes and hard fists.

“Well come on now honey, you wouldn’t want to disappoint me now, would you?” She slowly inched toward him, one foot dragging behind the next, her eyes focused on the carpet as her heart started to race. “Good girl.” He coaxed as if commenting on a dog’s obedience. He reached out and grabbed her hand, pulling her down onto the couch next to him. “You know I love you darling,” he said stroking her hand "and I know, I’m not perfect, but I just can’t understand why you’re treating me so unkindly. I really think you should be more excited.”

She stared at the floor, concentrating on the rough beige fibers twisted beneath her feet. Wondering what choice led them astray- what choice, bound them to carpet and not, some other life. Trying to convince herself, if she doesn’t look his way- it won’t, it can't- be real. But she felt the weight of his body next to her and knew she wasn't dreaming. Like a butterfly trapped in a glass jar, her heart fluttered ineffectively against her chest; intense, rapid, and utterly useless. Her mind attempted to thread the scene into something tangible, something understandable....No. This can’t be real-I’m not ready-…

Abruptly he reached around with his other hand and grabbed her face. “Now you’re going to look at me darling. I’ve been dreaming about that pretty face for far too long now,” he said as he rubbed his thumb over her lips. Her dark eyes widen as she tried to jerk her face away, “I…I...” she stammered.

“Shh. I’ll forgive you.’ He said as he ran his hands over her dark hair. “I’ll forgive you.” He said as his hands come to rest on her pale neck. He leaned closer to her, and kissed her forehead lightly. “Shh.” He whispered, as his fingers tightened against her throat.

She inhaled sharply as her eyes widen in surprise…

© Copyright 2009 Lenore (isis_lenore at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1595736-No-Escape