*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1597704-Damiens-Quest-Chapter-2
Rated: E · Chapter · Sci-fi · #1597704
Revisions in progress. Please let me know what you think.

Chapter 2

Damien’s Quest


Damien left his grandparents cabin with a lot to think about. He understood what he needed to do, find the faline before Andreas discovered her. The fact that his grandmother’s powers were weakening was like a knife in his chest. The woman he had grown to love would soon be gone forever. It is known by all that a faline could not survive without her magic. Memories of the last seventy years came flooding back to him.

Damien remembered only the one night of his human life, the night it ended. In the dark confines of Adonis, surrounded by thousands of trees, and wicked sounds. Every human knew the Forest of Adonis was not a place to visit especially after dark, but he had an argument with his girlfriend and needed to get away. Where else could he go? Thirty years old he needed his space to cool off, alone he could hear as the dry leaves crunched under each footfall. With no concern about where he was going, the inevitable happened. He looked around as the realization hit him, he was lost and no one knew where to find him. That’s when he heard something behind him, a sharp pain in his neck told him it was to late to fight. When he attempted to grab whatever had him, the creature released its jaws from his throat.

“You will die soon enough,” the rough voice said. “I smell a woman, her scent mingles with yours. She yells for you! That smell is so flavorful.” Distracted by this woman the creature dropped him. “I must have her blood.” His movements were quick, by the time Damien collided with dirt and leaves, he heard a woman scream as if she was being ripped apart limb by limb. Worried his girlfriend had followed him, he tried to crawl to the sound. He had not made it far when another crash pulled his attention away, by his side stood Alex. He closed his eyes and decided it was his time to die. He did not have the energy to fight.

The transformation had to be the most painful thing Damien had ever experienced. It felt like someone took his entire being and twisted it into one giant knot, only to untie him and do it all over again. Throughout the whole ordeal, he saw one thing, the face of the man who did this to him. Scarlet red eyes sunken into deep purple sockets, stone-gray skin that felt like ice, hollow cheeks, and the worst part of all his own blood dripped down the monster’s square chin. A visage he would never forget.

Alex found him in the forest, and brought him back to Elmgate. Damien learned what happened, and then a choice was given to him, become an animal and kill everything he once loved: or take a dose of Blood Draught daily and become a Watcher. He chose the obvious. Anita explained that the draught would quench his thirst for fresh blood. A small amount would be required to keep him alive, he could still eat what ever he liked, and he would maintain any extra qualities the attack had given him. She also told him of the man whom had attacked him.

“Franklyn.” He cringed at this name. “I will find you and kill you before this is over. I swear it on all that I love and cherish.” Bags packed, he started the twenty mile journey to Serenity.


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Small clouds provided just the right amount of shade from two suns. A gentle breeze brought in the smell of spring flowers. People sat in the grass enjoying the warmth. Everyone smiled, laughed, and had fun being together. Parents watched as their children ran. Birds chirped their songs, Sunlings ran about charging their lights by the suns rays. ‘Wouldn't it be nice if the whole world could be so happy? ’ Saphire thought to herself as she relaxed in the park.

‘What could go wrong on such a beautiful day?’ Saphire lay down on the grass, and shut her eyes. Ruby eyes watched her from the bushes.

“Saphire, what’s wrong?” Mandy, her best friend of twenty years, sat down next to her.

“Nothing why?” She sat up, grass clippings clung to waist length fire red hair.

“Honey look at your hands. They’re glowing,” Mandy said.

Saphire gasped as she looked at her hands. A bright violet light radiated from them. “Oh my, what is it so bright.

“Saphire. I think something evil is out here,” Mandy said hesitantly.

“Why would you say that?” Unsure of what was going on, she began to pace.

“Sweetie there are a lot of things about this world you’re not aware of yet. Please let’s go somewhere else to discuss this. I have a really bad feeling.” Mandy glanced toward the Wagon Wheel Diner.

“Do you know why my aura is so bright? Mandy what’s going on.” Saphire began to get a strong sense of danger. She turned around and sent her ankle length white skirt into a whirl around long sleek legs.

“I may not be able to explain everything, but I know someone who can.” Mandy surveyed the entire park on the look out for any threat to them. “Let’s go see Doc at the diner, he night be able to help.”

“Wait.” Saphire stopped in mid stride. “Something is here I can feel it. We can’t leave yet.” Saphire was confused. She knew she needed to leave, however she could feel evil lurking somewhere waiting. Caught between the urge to run and the lessons her Mame had taught her about the protection of innocent lives Saphire had to make an important choice. “Over here Mandy. The feeling gets stronger when I head for the trees.” She took her friends arm and lead them away from the safety of town. They had been close a long time, Saphire was eight years old when she first met Mandy. She came to her grandmothers for a visit, and Mandy had been helping her Mame hang the wash. Immediately they clicked and have been best friends since.

Saphire walked straight toward the creature’s hiding place. “Yuck, what is that smell. Maybe there’s a dead animal close by.”

“I have been watching you,” came a deep scratchy voice from behind the bushes. “You are not what I expected.” He revealed himself.

“M…M… Mandy, what do we do?” Saphire grabbed her friend by the hand. “What is this thing?” She was frightened.

Ruby eyes bulged out of the things head. It wheezed with every breath, while greenish-yellow puss oozed out of the boils that covered it‘s face. “My master would like a word with you. He says you are the key to our victory. Come with me, and you shall have all the answers you desire.” the creature smiled revealing rotten pointy teeth.

“Saphire, this thing is called a goblin, don’t trust him. Goblins, in all my life I have never come across a good one. Please, we must get out of here. I have no idea how to defeat it.”

“Saphire is it, beautiful name.” He reached out to her with short stubby blue fingers. “I shall return the favor and tell you my name, I am Atrune. I’m prince of the goblins. I wish you no harm, I’m just here to ask you to come with me to speak to my master,” He wheezed out.

“I don‘t think so. You can tell your master I said forget it.” Saphire began to back away. She didn’t want to turn her back on the creature.

“You will be sorry faline.” Atrune raised his arms above his head.

“Saphire! Watch out,” Mandy screamed.

Saphire turned in time to avoid the black ball of power coming at her. “What the…” As she looked at Atrune, she knew she wouldn’t be able to leave without a fight. The trouble was she had no clue how to fight this thing. “I thought you meant me no harm.” She continued to back away.

“I was told that if you refuse to come with me I am to destroy you. Enjoy your last moments. Oh and for your peace of mind, when I am finished with you I will destroy the so called beautiful town of Serenity.” Atrune positioned his nasty bare feet on the ground, lifted his slimy little arms above his head, and began to chant so low only his lips moved with no sound.

“Not this time.” Saphire wasn’t sure what to do, but she had taken self defense classes, and knew she couldn’t let this thing hurt all these people. She noticed the violet light surrounding her was even brighter. “I will not let you hurt my friends.” She remembered a dream she had like this. As she closed her eyes her subconscious took over. “You will fall now,” as she said this, a gigantic ball of light flew from her hands and hit Atrune right in the chest. He flew ten feet in the air and landed with a thud on the ground.

“You are stronger than we thought.” He grabbed his chest as he stood. “I will not let you do that again.” He started to position himself once again. His eyes closed this time; hands came together as if in prayer black lights shined through the blue slime. Before he could even mutter a chant Saphire hit him with another ball of magic, only this time one of his grubby hands flew away from the rest of him. “Nooooo,” he screamed. “This is not over. We shall return.” He swathed his left arm in his cloak. “Next time I will watch as you suffer.” Atrune snapped the slimy blue fingers on his right hand, and disappeared in a black ball of dust.

“Saphire, are you okay?” Mandy ran to Saphire’s side just in time to catch her. “Saphire, oh God, please wake up,” she cried.

Mandy picked Saphire up, thankful she had listened to her mother and started going to the gym, and headed for the Wagon Wheel Diner. ‘Doc will know what to do,’ she thought to herself. Mandy turned onto Honey Street, and noticed the new red Voltrus 4x4 parked in front of the diner. ‘Should I still take her there? What if the stranger isn’t a good one? Forget it I have to get her help now. I will have to take my chances.’

“Doc!” Mandy burst into the diner. “Doc, I need your help now,” She yelled.

“Mandy what’s going,” Doc froze as he noticed Saphire unconscious in her arms. “What happened?” His brain began to work again.

“We were in the park, Atrune a goblin prince was there. He said something about his master wanting her, and when she refused he attacked. He didn’t touch her though; somehow she managed to run him off. After he disappeared she passed out,” she rushed out in one breath.

“It sounds like she used her defensive power, and since she is untrained it drained her. Bring her back into my office, she needs to rest.” Doc held the door for them.

“Is she okay?” A new male voice said.

Mandy turned to see a man with long black hair, ice blue eyes, and a gorgeous body behind Doc. “Who are you?”

“I am Damien Duates. I am here at the request of my Grandfather Alex Duates. Please is she okay?” He sat next to Saphire’s limp body on the couch. ‘This must be her. Grandfather said I would feel a strong urge to protect and right now I feel the urge to kill whoever did this to her,’ He thought to himself.

“I believe she’ll be fine. Nevertheless, if she doesn’t get some training soon I can’t make any promises.” Doc turned to Mandy. “You said the goblins name was Atrune. It is obvious that it’s not his real name. He wouldn’t be that stupid. Did he say who his master was, or why he wanted to speak to Saphire?” He looked at her with impatient eyes.

“No, he just said that his master told him Saphire was the key to their victory,” she paused. “Doc what is going on?”

“Mandy it is time for us to talk, Damien please join us. You have some insight in this matter.” Doc proceeded to a booth.

The ceilings were low, candles floating through the room. People were quietly talking about their own busy days as the three sat down. The walls were decorated with pictures of Brant trees with their enormous purple fan leaves, and crainhorns playing on some unknown beach. Miniature covered wagons were placed through out the diner. Old wooden wagon wheels hung on the walls. The smell of hamburger grease and frying oil mingled together in the air.

“Damien why don’t you tell Mandy why you are here. It might help to explain a little.” Doc gave him a meaningful look.

“All right, my grandfather sent me on a quest. A quest to find a woman, this woman is a very important part of the war between good and evil. I’m not too sure of all the details I do know, however that Saphire seems to be the woman that the prophecy and my grandfather are looking for.” Damien took a sip of his water. “Doc please, tell me she’s going to be okay.”

“She will be fine.” He turned toward the pretty brunette woman. “Now Mandy, I will tell you what I know. About eighty years ago a prophecy was told, they spoke of a faline that was to be powerful enough to take down Andreas. It was said if the dark side got a hold of her all the good in the world would suffer. At the same time it was said, if the good got her then all the evil would be put in its place. That is all I know of the prophecy.”

“I understand Doc, but how do we know who is on the good side and the bad.” Mandy looked at Damien.

“Do not fret. Damien has all ready passed the test. He is on the good side, he means us no harm. I am hoping I can convince Saphire to go with him. Damien’s grandmother is a dominant faline, and would be able to help her vastly.”

“Doc, I have a question for you.” Damien turned to the dwarf with a need for answers. “Why is it Saphire has not been told about who and what she is? I would think it would have been smarter to tell her earlier in life so she could have been trained when the time came. Another thing, how does she not know anything about it? I mean it’s not like you guys hide magic around here,” Damien asked.

“First off, she knows she is a faline. It was her Grandmothers dieing wish that she not be told of the prophecy unless absolutely necessary. She knows how to do regular magic; such as building, planting, and anything that helps for good. You see Emma was a great faline; however she was afraid that if she trained Saphire it the art of defense that she would be just what she is. Emma didn’t want that for her granddaughter. She decided if Saphire was never told she could never be the one,” Doc said. “Now it is time for someone to teach her defensive magic along with some black magic. She will need it all to complete her destiny.”

They sat in silence for a moment while everyone considered what had been said. The door to the office came open with a slam…

“I will not let you hurt the innocent people of this town Atrune,” Saphire yelled.

“Saphire its okay.” Damien was the first at her side. “Atrune is gone. You scared him off. Come sit with us and relax. You must be hungry.”

“Who are you?” Saphire looked at the man helping her to the booth. When he smiled, she noticed he had cute little dimples, “How did I get here? Mandy what happened?” She was confused.

“Saphire, this is Damien, he is here to help. Everything will be okay. I’m not positive about what happened, but whatever you did it took a lot out of you. You passed out, and I brought you to Doc at the Wagon Wheel Diner,” Mandy said.

Saphire took a look around her, she noticed Doc looked at her with concern in his chestnut eyes. ‘He was an old man; he didn’t need all this stress.’ She thought. “I’m sorry.” She looked at the floor embarrassed.

“There is no need to apologize; you have had a traumatic event. Damien has been looking for you, and I believe you should talk to him. He can help you in ways that no one else can.” Doc reached across the table to give Saphire’s hand a gentle squeeze. The man only stood 4 foot tall, and yet he could calm anyone down with just a touch.

“Thank you Doc.” Saphire gave a weak smile. “Damien is it?” She looked at the man that sat next to Doc, his icy blue eyes stared right back at her. “What can you tell me about that thing in the park?”

“I don’t know anything about Atrune. However,” Damien could see that she wanted to argue about his statement. “My grandfather might be able to tell us about it.”

“All right then tell me about you, how is it you show up in town at the same time this… Atrune does?” She couldn‘t explain the sudden jolt of fire in her stomach as Damien continued to stare at her.

“Well, that is a long story; I was sent here by my grandfather to find you. The thing is you seem to have a major role in this prophecy that was made a long time ago” Damien smiled showing his beautiful white teeth.

“I‘ve known for a long time that there was more to my life than just creating meaningless objects for others to enjoy. I‘ve know I had an untold fate since before Mame passed on. I have only been waiting for the person who could explain it all to me. So, what next?” Saphire waved the waitress over and ordered a cheeseburger with fries. “How do I learn all that I need to protect my friends and family here in Serenity?”

“Saphire please don’t worry about our town. We are well protected. The town of Serenity is also known to others as the Magical City. This town is filled with all kinds of creatures. We have many falines, elves, dwarves, and sunlings. We also have a few good vampires that come for a visit every now and again.” Doc winked at Damien.

“Did I just see that? Doc are you saying that Damien is a vampire?” Saphire looked between the two men astonished. She’d had dreams about everything that happened so far, this however was new to her.

“That would explain a lot,” Mandy said from beside Saphire.

“Mandy what do you mean it explains a lot,” Saphire looked at her best friend.

“I mean I can’t see his aura. That rarely happens, yours has always been violet, Doc’s baby-blue, but Damien’s I could not see. The only time I can’t see is when I come across a creature that is not what they are supposed to be. Vampires are supposed to be evil, but Damien is a good vampire, a Watcher, therefore I see nothing.” Mandy smiled happily.

“Okay. What does that make you then?”

“I am a seerer; I use my powers to sort out the evil from the good. See if anyone has done black magic then their aura will be covered in a black film.” Mandy got up from the booth. “Now if you will excuse me. I must go and check on the Inn. I have a few visitors coming this afternoon. Saphire, I hope to see you later.” Mandy seemed a little nervous talking about herself.

“Bye Mandy. It was nice meeting you.” Damien waved as she walked away.

“If the town is safe then let’s get back to the training that I need. How do I get that?” Saphire yawned, she was getting tired again. “In my dreams, which until today I believed were just dreams, I have done magic with an old woman. She was a sweet woman with unbelievable strength.”

“It sounds as if you are speaking of Damien’s grandmother. She can train you better than anyone else,” Doc replied.

“So, I must trust Damien to take me to her right.” Saphire glared at Damien. “I will do as you say Doc, but only because you knew Grandma Emma so well. I know you would never do anything to put me in danger.” Saphire smiled at the man she had always thought of as her grandpa. Her mouth began to water as the cheeseburger she ordered was placed in front of her.

“I’m sorry Saphire, but if you are coming with me we will need to leave first thing in the morning. I will take you home so you can pack a few things.” Damien slid out of the booth.

“What about my food? “ She stopped the waitress. “Can I get a box for this please? Good bye Doc. I don’t know when I will see you again, but please know I always thought of you as my granddad.” Saphire leaned over the table to hug Doc.

“Good bye Saphire. We will meet again, I will always cherish you.” Doc released her first, and walked away without another word.

After getting her food boxed Saphire followed Damien out of the diner, outside she saw the bright blood red Voltrus. ‘Such a classic color for a vampire to pick, Always black or red,’ she thought.

“Listen, I live on Witch Lake. Do you know how to get there?” She stopped in front of the truck.

“I think so. Doc was giving me directions just before your friend came running in carrying you.” Damien unlocked the doors. “I will take you home for the night. I am staying at The Sunling Inn room 21. Call if you need anything, otherwise I will be there at six in the morning.”

Saphire sat quietly as Damien made his way to her house. She had a lot of things to think about for the next few hours, this stuff about goblins, seekers, and most of all vampires. ‘What is going to pop up on me next,’ she asked herself.

“My house is at the end of Wolf Lane.” She pointed to the road sign.

“If you have any questions I would be happy to answer them if I can. Don‘t hesitate to ask I‘ll do whatever it takes to help you.” Damien couldn’t stop himself from taking her hand in his.

“Not right now. I am still trying to figure out if I am dreaming or not.” Saphire watched out the window, she was trying to figure out the strange heat that surrounded their hands.

“What do you mean? Why would you think you were dreaming?” Damien looked at her curious.

“I have these dreams, and they are very vivid. I’ve been having them since I was five years old. Sometimes there are goblins, once there were these black mist creatures, and one time I was surrounded by werewolves among everything else. It’s always very realistic, therefore today just seemed like another dream to me. Except for the fact I still feel tired, that’s what makes me believe it is real. Does that make any sense,” she asked him.

“Actually yes it does. You see my grandfather had a dream about you, which is why I have come to find you. My grandfather is one of the elders for the Watchers, a group of vampires sworn to protect all, and keep evil at bay.” Damien stopped in front of Saphire’s house. “How did you defeat that goblin in the park?”

“I don’t know. I got upset when he said he would destroy the entire town. That’s when I closed my eyes, and just let my subconscious take over. I mean what have those happy people ever done to that evil little creature? The next thing I remember is waking up in the diner.” She looked out at her beautiful home.

The remodeling was complete, what had once looked like an old run down shack, now resembled a five star bed and breakfast. Three stories tall, with white siding and a soft blue trim. Big picture windows positioned two on every side of the house on the first floor. A porch surrounded the entire building, the back of the house looked out over the lake. A beautiful view of the sunset could be seen at dusk. A small portion of the property was dedicated to her love of plants tulips, Ranchester bushes, daffodils, and bleeding hearts all mingled together, the way she wished the world could get along. The rest of the property was surrounded by forest.

“Well, whatever you did it was quick thinking on your part. I am sorry that all of this has been thrown at you.” Damien watched as she got out of the truck. ‘This woman is even more beautiful than I thought. I am going to have to be careful around her, she is destined for far greater things than me,’ he thought.

“Thank you for the ride, I will see you in the morning. If you like you can come by early for coffee.” She waved as she walked to the door.

Damien headed back to the Sunling Inn, the whole way thinking about this woman he was now responsible for. “Please, take good care of her while she is with you,” the old dwarf had said right before Mandy had come running in with Saphire. ‘How could I let any harm come to her, she is our chance to save the world,’ he thought. However, he could not shake the feeling that there was another reason he wanted to keep her safe.
© Copyright 2009 Numb Hands (mysticsierra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1597704-Damiens-Quest-Chapter-2