*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1598146-Seeking-No-Reward
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1598146
The First Fairy Godmother, now retired, attends a party.
I looked at the small dial that was set in the opulent bracelet dangling from my arm, the latest in party wear for wrists – I could barely make out the oval face. I squinted, I raised the hand and retracted it to full extent, I still could not make even fuzzy guess at the time. I rummaged in the beaded clutch that was all I could carry if I had any aspirations to elegant. I know my reading glasses were in there. Darn Ellie for insisting I play dress-up with her stuff. It's all very well for her as a Potion Manager. Ah, well - at least she wished me on my birthday, nobody else seems to have remembered.

Coin purse, lipstick, comb, hanky, mints, bus coupons, gilt-edged invite … quite a bit in there, but no glasses. Ah, I remembered, I had opted to use these pince-nez that came on a delicate gold chain; there they were, strategically hidden from my gaze by my own ample proportions. I could perch these on my nose precariously, with one hand to keep them steady, I determined the time on the other – six-forty-eight.

I had better hurry. The invite says: “Cocktails from seven to seven-thirty"; Her Magical Eminence won't appreciate tardiness. She hinted there might be ‘a surprise endowment’ for those who had ‘long supported Goodness’ – I wonder who is going to be honoured thus?

My knees creaked and groaned as I hastened out the front door, pausing just a moment to glance at the reflection in the hallstand – a strained stranger bulging out of a black velvet outfit and teetering on all of one-inch heels. I was more used to glimpsing a barefoot, jeans and tee-shirt clad, free spirit. I was sixty-three today, but I always was a simple child at heart.

I stepped out into the cold night air with an air of expectation, I was sure to meet old friends; I might have retired from the post of Fairy Godmother when I turned sixty, but my protégés and juniors were sure to be there. I had an enviable record of Best Godmother for nine years running and a Happily-Ever-After average of .994.

Maybe I will get a nod of appreciation from Her Eminence today? Even a certificate of appreciation for that unbroken success record?

I had barely a kilometer to walk; my little abode was tucked amongst the sprawling palaces of the rich or the powerful. One of the perks of having been one of the first FGs, land was still available back then, although I could afford only enough for my small two-room cottage. It still took quite some time at my age, although the shoes seemed easier on the knees and feet as I went along. In fact the old spring had returned to my step as I turned in at the massive ornate grills that served as the Eminence Estate gates. I took a quick peek at the time – praise be, it was only five past seven.

Huh? I could see that little dial clearly, I re-checked the phenomenon. Yes, I could see the tiny numbers without my glasses.

There was no time to wonder, the butler had materialized at the top of the steps and made the one-inch bend of his head that was sufficient to signify his recognition of me.

“The Lady First Fairy Godmother.”

Oh, yes. I remember, they had conferred that title on me last year. How could I have forgotten? Old age creeping up, no doubt.

I found a crowd milling about, thickest at the bar that covered two sides of the room. I made my way to where I had spotted an old friend. Of course she had put on a little weight around the middle and her hair showed help from enchantment.

“Well, Cindy darling, how are you? How are the little ones? Let me see … Ken must be twenty and Kip twenty-two? Didn’t Kip join the Elf Army last year?”

“You really have a marvelous memory FG!”

I really must. I swear I didn’t know those facts until they popped out of my whirring brain.

“FG! You have done something new to your hair, you look marvelous! So svelte, that black number does things for you.”

So does a strait-jacket. Wait, it isn’t so tight now, it even 'falls' from my hips. What gives? Do I have an FG too?

I gave the enthusing Rose-Red a perfunctory hug, even asking after her sister and the Bear Prince, but my brain was sizzling with unanswered questions.

Her Eminence was tapping her glass with her wand and the room hushed, like animals at the water-hole when the lion comes down to drink.

“I see everybody who’s Who is here, so take up your choice of drink, folks. We are gathered to honour One who has been selfless and giving whether endowed with power or not. Who never bothered to speculate or accumulate. So, for every day of unselfish acts, her life has been renewed with another day of youth. If that day saw her first gray hair, it has been renewed, if it saw a twinge of rheumatic affliction, that joint has been rejuvenated. She is younger by nine momentous years of life and many turns back of the aging clock.”

Music swelled into a rendition of 'Happy Birthday to You', a veritable display of colours lit up – a sonorous voice announced:

“Ladies and Gentlemen, put your hands together for the Lady First Fairy Godmother!”

I could barely move, but helping hands pushed me onwards in a wave of congratulating and gesticulating arms. Her Eminence enfolded me in an embrace and I glimpsed myself over her shoulder, in the mirrored wall behind – youth renewed, as reward for not seeking reward.

It was my best birthday, all over again.


~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~>~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~<~


Words: 973
Prompt: Today is your birthday and when you get to the party, you realize you're nine years younger than you thought you were. What happened and how did you get that extra time?
© Copyright 2009 Just an Ordinary Boo! (jyo_an at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1598146-Seeking-No-Reward