*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1600615-Demons-delight
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Dark · #1600615
A short story i wrote. Let me know what you think
Four months have past since I first set eyes on her. Since the first moment, I sensed the sweet hum of a righteous soul. The glorious rhythm of light and power that enthralled me. Oh...she is a demons delight, impossible to resist. To do so would be exhausting and cruel.

I must have her soul. It is as simple as that.

Evanna, even her name rolls from my tongue with an exotic tone. More exquisite than any sunset I have ever seen and I have seen thousands of sunsets. Her hair shines with the luster of a red ruby, igniting my black heart. The blue of her eyes is deeper than any ocean I have ever encountered. Still neither can compare to the purity of her soul.

She walks this deserted street every night, accompanied by the same male, his arm wrapped tight around her waist. Yet, tonight she is alone. It surprised me that her usual companion allowed her to walk without his company. The streets of New York City are dangerous for such a beautiful young woman. No matter, fate has handed her to me and I must accept his gesture. Tonight we will meet.

I stood on the corner waiting for her to pass. My foot propped up against the red brick wall. The pavement, still wet from the passing down pour, reflected the streetlights creating glittering puddles. I watched them ripple thinking of the how I should claim her. Drinking her essence through her blood is the easiest. However, I could not bear to damage her perfect skin. She could will it to me but that is rarer than her purity. A kiss, I can take her soul with a gentle kiss. It would be painless and quick, my gift to her.

She strolled toward me, her shimmering aura tickling my face. With a sudden pop, her aura faded like a blown light bulb. She appeared terrified.

Could she see me? Sense the evil that flows in my spirit. “Impossible, she is human,” I chuckled beneath my breath.
The moment I turned my head I spotted her concern. Waiting in the shadows stalked a man. “Evanna, I told you I wouldn’t let you go,” he growled.

Her body grew rigid and I could hear her heart race, feel her fear choke her. “John I told you it’s over. I’m sorry if I hurt you but I think it’s better we see other people.”

The man stepped from the shadows. His face painted with an evil smirk. “That’s what you want isn’t it, to whore around you little bitch.”

He charged at her catching her throat in his grip. Slamming her head against the wall. I could hear the horrific crack as her skull struck the worn bricks and watched as her blood followed trailed each grove. She fell to the ground hard and didn’t move.

My empty heart filled with a fury unequal to any anger I have ever experienced. Pushing myself off the brick wall, I turned from vapor to solid form in an instant. Then tapped the dead mans shoulder. The moment he turned, I sliced his throat with my jagged fingernail then kicked him to the ground. He squeezed his hands around his throat, gagging and gasping, blood seeping between his fingers. His eyes wide, his body convulsing.

Wheeling around I knelt beside her, my Evanna so frail and innocent. Lifting her up, I rested her shoulders upon my knee. “Evanna,” I whispered.

Human form offered me little in the way of power but it did present me with some pleasing benefits. For one thing, I could touch her. Enjoy the warmth and softness of her skin. I could also savor her scent. Taste its sweetness on my lips.
Her eyes fluttered then gazed into mine. “Are you my angel?”

“Hardly,” I grinned.

Her power seemed to surround me, forcing out the darkness that has contaminated my core for hundreds of years. I felt her light, her innocence, an untainted soul as rare as a red diamond.

“What is your name?” she asked.

“I am called Raven.”

“You are not human,” she said.

Her comment shocked me. How could she know this? Could she see the evil behind my eyes and in my heart? Could her pure nature sense my malevolence? Her expression softened with a faint smile. She placed her hand upon my cheek. “I know what you are.”

“You know nothing of what I am,” I said turning away from her.

She cupped my face forcing me to look into her eyes. “You are my savior and I owe you my life,” she said her voice smooth like silk.

Her comment melted the ice in my veins. A wildfire quickly spread within me igniting emotions I thought I had lost hundreds of years ago. Her aura grew brighter, brighter than any star in the sky. Then, for the first time as if a curtain lifted from eyes, I saw her. I looked into her eyes and realized what she was. So blinded by my need and desire I ignored the signs, her purity, strength, and power.

Smiling, I whispered, "I know what you are as well, Nephilim.”

Nephilim, angel and human residing in the same shell, some see them as an abomination, some find them beautiful. However, I am only to see them as an enemy.

She smiled, “A demon helping a Nephilim now that is shocking. I was right about you?”

“What do mean you were right about me?”

“I have felt you these last few months, watching me. Why do you think I walk this street every night? Yes, your dark desires are strong but there is also a light in you, a light that calls to me. A light I refuse to let die.”

For the first time in centuries, I felt fear. “I don’t understand. What are you saying?”

“I offer you my soul Raven. Will you take it?” She inquired.

I pushed myself away, frightened of the bright glow that covered her. The light I desired for so long terrified me now. “Get away,” I roared.

She glided towards me resting her hands on my chest. “You don’t want what I have to offer?” She said as if offended.

Of course, I wanted her offer. How could I refuse? Her soul will give me power, strength beyond any before her. I am a demon. I steal the souls of the weak. Rob from those who have lost their faith. This soul should be no different. I grabbed her pushing her to the wall.

My narrow stare locked with her gaze. She showed no fear as I leaned in and pressed my lips to hers. My hand caressed her neck as I enjoyed the sweet taste of her full lips. Her scent as vibrant and lush as a field of wild flowers, invaded my senses, filling the void within my empty existence. Her gentle moan forced my lips harder against hers. There was true pleasure in her sigh and it excited me. Her spirit reached out, waiting for me to accept her sacrifice. However, I enjoyed her affection more than I could have imagined. In all these years, all I desired was the power of souls and now I wanted nothing more than her tender embrace. I pulled away and rested my forehead against hers. How could I extinguish such a light? Such selflessness inspired me.

“I cannot destroy you,” I confessed.

“An act of compassion is rare in a world such as this and should be rewarded. If you will not accept my soul, perhaps you will accept your own.”

She lifted her hand revealing a silver orb. It hovered for a moment than shot from her palm into my chest. In second’s heat exploded through my veins. A familiar sense of joy and love overcame me. I looked at my hands. My skin now appeared pink and soft. The heart that died all those centuries ago now pounded stronger than the day it perished. I fell to my knees, my hands clutching my head, my eyes sealed tight, overcome with life.

“You have earned your soul by sparing mine. Now live, enjoy each day, revel in the beauty of life and never forget the kindness that has been bestowed upon you.”

I opened my eyes to find myself alone. Her companion’s body had disappeared along with the blood that had pooled beneath him. There I stood, gentle drizzle hitting my skin, thinking of my precious Evanna. How could I forget her? She gave me a gift I didn’t know I wanted. A second chance I didn’t deserve.

Smiling, I examined the heavens. “Thank you,” I exclaimed. “I will not forget.”

A sudden sound swirled in the moist breeze. “You are welcome my savior,” she whispered.

As I turned and started down the path of a new life, I heard her lighthearted laughter echo along the dark streets, then fade with a final hiss. No, I would never forget her kindness, my sweet angel, my Evanna.

© Copyright 2009 kdfriedrich (fkarensday at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1600615-Demons-delight