*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1600850-Untitled
Rated: E · Draft · Other · #1600850
This is the story of Georgena, a lady who is forced into marriage by her mother.
Easter Sunday was usually a festive day for Georgena. But not this one. This Easter Sunday was rather uneventful. It was a sunny afternoon in late March, the last day of the cold month to be exact. Though the sun was bright, and there was still a bite in the air. The breeze blew over the rolling hills toward Dashwood Manor, ruffling the fringe on the large parasol that protected Georgena and her mother from the sun. The house was grand, but was in a state of disrepair. It was clear that it had once been the center of many stately affairs. Out on the Manor Green, Georgena and her mother sat having afternoon tea.

“Georgena,” her mother began, “It is time for you to be married. In fact, it is well past time. You have sat around this house for far too many years.”

The elderly lady peered at her daughter over the rim of her glasses.

“Oh Mother, you know that I can not bear to leave you here all alone. Perhaps I am not meant to be married,” Georgena replied, pouring herself and her mother another cup of tea.

“Nonsense! Do not try to sway my decision, Georgena. You are fully aware of our financial situation.”

“For Heaven’s sake Mother, Father left us with plenty of money. Don’t be so dramatic,” Georgena sighed, putting down her cup.

“Yes, we have plenty of money…for now. But the time will come when we must pay off our debts.”

“Why cant you be like all proud Englishmen, and avoid your debts?” Georgena smiled.

The old woman did not laugh at her daughter’s quick tongue. Georgena stopped smiling and looked down at her, now, lukewarm tea. Her head remained lowered as her eyes darted around the table. They landed on her mother’s hands. They were small, like hers, but they were old. She finally looked up at her mother’s glare.

“It is nothing to joke about young lady. I did my duty, it is your turn.”

“You were also in love with Papa. I am not in love with anyone. It is not fair to ask this of me!"

"Not fair? Not fair! Of course it is fair. You must do it," her mother spat at her.

Georgena was taken back with her mother's forcefulness. To her, it wasn't fair and never would be. To Georgena, marriage would be the end of her life.

"And besides, I came to love Louis. It was not always happy times dear daughter. I moved all the way to France to save my family from destitution. You are lucky that I brought you back."

Lady Annebelle Gustavo's face had finally turned a brilliant shade of crimson.

"Mama, relax. Alright, I will meet with whomever you choose for me," Georgena hesitated, "But what of little Edward? Who will take care of him?"

"Shh! Do not speak of him out here. Someone will hear you. I will deal with that problem."

Georgena lowered her voice and spoke, "You act as if you do not love him. He is your son!"

Lady Gustavo looked around and leaned across the table.

"Of course I love him. However, I need to think of your future. If someone should know of him, we are all doomed. I am not taking any chances. "

Lady Gustavo picked up her cup and brought it to her mouth. She sipped daintily and winced as if the tea was painful to drink. She pushed it away.

"Maurice, the tea is cold. Take it away," she said with a wave of her hand.

An old man with completely white hair came to the table with a large golden platter. He removed all the cups and saucers and took the tea pots too. Georgena smiled up at him and thanked him, just as her mother cleared her throat.

"Move on!" she said to Maurice.

Georgena stared at her mother, for her callous words had certainly hurt the old man.

"It is his job to serve. He does not require thanking," her mother explained.

Her mother rose from her chair swiftly, as Maurice pulled the seat away. Lady Gustavo smoothed her skirts and opened a small parasol.

"Well, my dear, our afternoon has been productive," she turned to leave, and said over her shoulder, "Perhaps a ball shall be held to announce your eligibility."

She said nothing else and walked up the path to the manor. Georgena sat in complete silence. Maurice reset the chair that her mother had sat in. He smiled at her.

"Should you like to go up to the house, Miss, I'd be happy to accompany you," he said, going to pull her chair out for her.

"No, Maurice, it is quite alright. I'd like to walk by myself. Thank you."

Georgena rose slowly and nodded to Maurice. She walked up the rocky stone path toward the manor. She stopped to admire the house. It was a huge house that towered over the trees that surrounded it. Honey suckled covered it's exterior walls. The house required a staff of at least fifty. Most of the staff was there simply to make Georgena and her mother's lives easier. There was also a small staff for little Edward, but no one else knew of them but Georgena and Lady Gustavo.

Whilst standing, and admiring, she became distracted by a large stallion running from the stables. It bucked and whinnied and then sped off over the hills. Harry, the stable boy, soon followed out of the stable, screaming for the horse to stop. As he ran past her, Georgena grabbed his arm..........




© Copyright 2009 Eden Scribbler (katielin04 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1600850-Untitled