*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1601475-The-other-girl
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Action/Adventure · #1601475
What happens after Peter Pan's last adventure?
The booms coming from the captains quarters seemed to make the whole ship shake. The captain hadn’t slept in days it seemed and only had been growing more and more incensed.
‘What was it about Peter Pan that drove our dear captain crazy? Thought Smee as he was bringing his commander his dinner. Opening the door cautiously, Smee peaked around the corner. Captain Hook was standing at his desk, with his back to it, looking out the window. If he heard someone entering his quarters, he did not make any indication. Smee walked with trepidation to the captain’s desk and sat the tray down, careful not to disturb the map of the Neverland that had been marred buy the captain’s claim to fame. Many puncture marks on the map pinned the possible locations of Peter Pans hideout. Now all of that was history. Peter Pan had left the Neverland days ago and winter had once again returned to the little island. The continual snowing was a sign that Pan lived still and this seemed to irritate the captain.
“Uh, sir, you dinner, sir.” Smee stammered out, backing away slowly. The captain’s head bowed slightly and to the left.
“Thank you Smee.” He replied in his gruff, yet eloquent voice. Smee stood where he was. Slowly, Hook turned to face his first mate.
“Was there something else Smee?” The captain asked, his piercing blue eyes searched Smee’s character.
“No sir, it’s…it’s….”
“It’s what Smee?”
“Well sir, the crew, sir. They’ve been asking, since He left, if we was to take up anchor and be sailing soon.” Smee waited for the captain’s response. Captain Hook was a hard man to read and sometimes harder still, to understand.
         Captain Hook’s eyes grew weary as he slowly sat at his desk.
         “No Smee. No will not be sailing. The game is not done yet.”
         “But captain, He is gone. That last battle was sure enough to drive him from Neverland forever. Let us sail away from Neverland, let us return to pillaging and running people through. It’s no good for pirates to be sitting at sea getting rusty, sir.” Captain Hook listened to Smee, taking in his words and weighing them carefully.
         “Indeed Smee, good form. However, we cannot leave. Peter Pan must first be dead before I can leave this rock.” Smee stood dumbfounded. Who knew how long they would have to stay, killing Indians and fairies before Pan would show back up again. Smee sighed and took his leave of the Captain.
         Captain Hook sat watching his first mate leave his cabin. If Smee only knew. Captain Hook was as bound to Peter Pan as Pan was to him. He had no memory of the events that took place before the Jolly Roger sailed to the Neverland. Truly, very little was remembered prior to Hook’s hand being flung to the crocodile. This aggravated Hook the most. When he had kidnapped Wendy and the other Never-brats, she had once made mentioned of her parents. What’s more, she claimed to have remembered them. When Hook had a moment, since the battle, to recollect his past exploits and what-have-yous, he could not drum up a single memory prior to Neverland and that accursed Peter Pan.
         Wendy. Wendy Darling. That was her name. Such a sweet girl of thirteen. Peter Pan had brought her from London and nearly died to keep her here. It had been several days since he left. Who knew if he was to return. With a sweet girl like that, surely, he had something to keep him there in London.
         Hook had secretly been terrified for years; it seemed, to leave the Neverland. For what would happen should he miss the opportunity to take down his worthy opponent? Truth be told, he didn’t know if he still had it in him to go swashbuckling anymore. There was something degrading being archenemies with a child. But Pan was no ordinary boy. He was a swordsman beyond his years. Ironically, Hook and Pan had learned new techniques from each other and had been applying them against one another, for ages. How long? How long? Hook could not remember and it hurt his head trying to make sense of it.
         Hook stood and crossed to the window, scratching his beard with his hook thoughtfully. ‘Wendy, it seems,’ thought Hook ‘is the key to the puzzle.’ But how? And why? She had only been here for a short while. No mention of her was ever made prior to her arrival. Her kiss, seemed to energize Pan and her stories always ended in a kiss. Pan did not strike Hook as the type to be seduced by a girl, but the female species was a complicated one. A woman….
         “A woman!” Hook exclaimed. Looking out the window, he spied two flying figures heading towards the Neverland jungle. One was Pan, one was in a dress. Suddenly, the snow stopped falling and the world melted. The flowers began to bloom once more and the sun shone as if welcoming Pan home. Hook was mixed with emotions. He had begun working in his mind where they were to set sail, when Pan appeared. Now, were they to stay or sail away, cutting their losses and giving Neverland to Pan.
         “Never!” Hook roared, plummeting his hook into the windowsill. He needed to call for Smee, it was time, once again, to go ashore.

         The search party, five strong including Hook, had separated, scouring the woods for signs of Pan or his new companion. New Lost Boys had appeared since Pans departure and were being sought out as well. Hook was certain that the fairies of the island told Pan of the pirates on shore and kept their eyes out for them as well. What was it about Pan and Wendy that Hook almost had a grasp on? Hook was lost in thought when he heard shouting from a clearing nearby. Crouching near a tree, he spied two figures, Pan and his companion heatedly arguing something. Pan hovered in the air at her face level and this seemed to irritate the girl as well.
         “Peter…why did you bring me here? To play? To be your mother? To tell stories? To clean for you and do your mending? Peter, search your heart. What does it say?” The girl was an Englishwoman. Woman! She was not a young girl of thirteen, as Wendy had been. This was a woman, nearly twenty years of age! Hook was so taken aback that Pan had brought someone that old to the island that he scarcely believe what he heard next.
         “Lillian, you know as well as I do that I grew up for you some. But I cannot anymore. I want to stay here and keep from growing up and keep from being a man.” Peter Pan was just as old! Pan grew up. How long had he been gone?! Hook’s mind was reeling, but he listened closer.
         “Peter, you stayed because you wanted to. You are a man. You just don’t want to be responsible! If you didn’t want to marry me, you didn’t have to drag me back here either!”
         “Why do you have to ruin things?!” Peter flew off in a huff while Lillian called out to him.
         “Well perhaps I’ll find Captain Hook and marry him!” Lillian began sobbing. But Hooks heart leapt. Marry he? He knew they were cross words spoke in anger and with no meaning behind them, but Hook’s brain began working. Wendy had kissed Pan and he seemed stronger then ever. He defended her at every chance and was devastated at the thought of losing her. Then, Pan brings Lillian and leaves her alone. He won’t marry her, but something he knew about Pan is that the youth is both cocky and possessive. It very well may kill him if Hook was able to woo his love from him. Hook began smiling a broad smile; the old fight was back on. With renewed vigor, Hook stood, adjusted his hat and coat, curled his moustache and set foot on the path to the clearing and the crying Lillian.
         Upon approaching the clearing, fairies seemed to note his presence and began buzzing off in all directions. This made Hook smile broader. Yes, tell Peter Pan that I am in the area of his girl. Tell him I am coming. Stepping further on the path, he noted the girl, sitting on the edge of the stream that ran through the clearing. Her back was to him and she was looking down at the water. He stood for a moment, not wanting to startle her, he cleared his throat. She looked over her shoulder and stood in a panic at the sight of him.
         “My dear, please don’t be afraid. I mean you no harm.” As he spoke the words she looked up and met him eye to eye and in his heart, he knew he meant it. She was absolutely stunning. Almost a half head shorter then Hook, she had long black locks that was pulled back in a blue ribbon. Her nightdress was a white cotton dress that was bunched under her bosoms and fell to the floor. Her night robe was velvet like material, clasped shut where her nightdress bunched and was as blue as the ribbon in her hair. Her porcelain skin seemed to radiate in early morning sun and made her features all the more pronounced. They stood for a moment in silence, measuring the other person. Without thinking, Hook muttered;
         “You are quite lovely.” She had heard and blushed, but the corner of her lips turned up in a slight smile. Hook, caught himself, stood up straight and as gentlemanly as he could, bowed, introducing himself.
         “My dear, I am Captain James Hook. Captain of the Jolly Roger.” He straightened, righting his hat on his head. She curtseyed.
         “Captain Hook, I am Lillian White.” She paused “Girl of…well, nothing.” She grimaced.
         “No need to frown my dear. Though it does add complicated depth to your radiance.” She seemed taken aback and smiled again. “How is it, that a lovely young lady is left, unaccompanied in these parts?” He indicated the surrounding jungle.
         “I…I don’t know.” She stammered looking around for what seemed the first time.
         “Well, would it be indecent to offer to escort you to where you are headed?” Hook offered his right arm. Lillian seemed conflicted.
         “Well, sir, I have no place I am heading. My host has abandon me and I’m terribly unsure of where to go.” Hook beamed.
         “Well, my dear, why don’t I take you aboard my ship. At least there you can stay until you are ready to talk with your rude host or until you wish to leave Neverland. You must be starving.” Lillian looked into his eyes and for a moment, they seemed to be entranced.
         “Yes,” she took up his arm. “That would be lovely.” Hook breathed in her scent, more delicate and unique then any fragrance he knew. He patted her hand with his good hand and left it resting on hers. She didn’t recoil.
         “It’s a good thing I found you when I did, there are Indians all over this area. Very savage.” Lillian looked around and Hook grinned broader. “We civilized people must stick together. Living in this jungle is not for the likes of us, is it my dear.”
         “No, it isn’t, sir.” Hook stopped and faced her. Resting her hands between his hook and hand.
         “Lillian, my dear, please call me James.”
         “James, please call me Lilly.” The shared a smile. Hooks eyes taking in each of her features. Lilly doing the same. It occurred to Hook that since they had met, not once had she looked at his hook. She hadn’t stared the way others had, both his men and Peter’s. She had only been looking at…him. This caught him off guard. Was Pan using her to get to him? Suddenly, taking her aboard the ship seemed dangerous. What if she was to poison his food or slit his throat at night? But her big blue eyes looked up at him in such a manner that made Hook believe she wouldn’t know what to do with a sword if she was handed one. She was helpless, she was lost, she was delicate. Why was he thinking and feeling like this? He had no room in his heart for these types of feelings, nor room in his head for these types of thoughts. And yet, here he stood, holding hands on the edge of the jungle with a beautiful woman. A hand and a hook. Hook snapped to and began listening to the jungle and not his heart. Lilly took notice and whispered.
         “What is it?” Hook stepped in front of her, while she clung to his Hook looking around his shoulder. There was a sound from the jungle, someone was approaching. Hook drew his sword and listened. He could feel Lily trembling behind her and it seemed to fuel Hook to protect her from the impending visitor.
         Smee stumbled out of the jungle, bottle of rum in one hand and pistol in the other, he was singing a song, that Hook was sure was sung in English, however was more muttered in gibberish by his first mate. Upon seeing the brandished sword, Smee shot at Hook without seeing, clearly, who was brandishing it. Hook grabbed Lily and dove, missing the shot. Hook stood enraged. Smee, sobered when seeing whom he fired upon.
         “Sorry Cap’n. Didn’t see ye standing there.” Hook stood, glowering at Smee.
         “Fetch the boat, Smee, we are headed back.” He looked down and his face cringed. Lily was lying on the ground nursing her wrist. While trying to save her, Hook had accidentally sliced her left wrist open. She whimpered slightly when Hook attempted to look at it.
         “Lilly, my dear, I….I’m so very sorry.” Hook stammered. Without words to say to the poor girl.
         “It wasn’t your fault. It was an accident. I know you won’t hurt me intentionally.” These words caught Hook off guard yet again. He took out his hanky and wrapped it around her wrist. Helping her to her feet, they both held the makeshift bandage in place. His fingers brushing hers, sending electricity coursing through his body (had he known what electricity was). Carefully placing the hook on her right shoulder, he still held her left wrist with his hand and walked her down to the shore and to the boat. All the while Hook kept thinking to himself that this girl, will never suffer again, or he would run him through he who hurt her, including himself. And for the first time, in his limited memory, he felt guilt at causing another person pain or anguish. So ashamed was he that he refused to look Lilly in the face. He, instead, chose to study the gold filigree design on his coat. Damn this hook and damn Peter Pan who gave it to him. It was his fault; he would pay for hurting Lilly!
         Lilly reached out with her right hand and placed it on his cheek. Her hand was warm and her touch caring.
         “James, it was an accident.” And she smiled. He couldn’t help but smile back. “Now buck up. We’re going aboard your ship.” She still grinned.
         “Indeed, good form, my dear.” Out of habit, Hook kissed her hand. They locked eyes. Luckily Smee had foolishly steered the dinghy into the vessel and jolted Hook from his trance.
         “Wretched dog! Don’t you see we have a lady on board? Take care Mr. Smee!” Lilly giggled silently as Smee tied up the boat and helped Lilly to the deck of the Jolly Roger.


© Copyright 2009 L. Anne (stareena at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1601475-The-other-girl