*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602125-Jenny
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Inspirational · #1602125
A story about a girl about to give up, but she finds help from an unexpected source.
Jenny made her way past the sea of students, to her group of friends, and put on her fake smile.

“Hey girl,” Katie, the group’s leader, called out to Jenny.

Acting enthusiastically, Jenny yelled “Hey” in response. Jenny had long been jealous of Katie’s thin statuesque figure. Knowing she could easily be part of a more popular crowd, she really admired her for sticking with her friends.

“I just found out Jordan likes Terry,” Katie blurted out, unable to hold back the morning’s gossip.

“OMG! Eww! Jenny said. ‘Who cares,’ she thought to herself.

“What? He’s cute,” Jordan defended herself. Jordan, Jenny’s best friend had horrible taste in boys, but she was the only person Jenny felt “ok” around. There were a lot of times Jenny felt that she did not deserve a friend like Jordan.

“Whatever,” added Tina, another member of the group, “not with those big ears.”

“I’m going to class,” said Jenny. She had much more on her mind than the current banter of the moment. She was walking away when Jordan touched her from behind.

“Hey, are you ok?” Jordan asked.

“Yeah,” Jenny lied.

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?”

“I don’t know. You just don’t seem like yourself, lately.”

“I’m fine,” Jenny said with a smile, to keep her friend from worrying.

“If there is something, you can talk to me.”

“I know,” Jenny said, trying to sound reassuring.

Jenny spent the school day in a daze, trying to keep up her nerve of what she would do that night. The teacher’s lessons and lunchtime conversation glided right past her.

When school was over Jordan was waiting for Jenny. “What’s up,” Jordan greeted Jenny.

“Oh. Hey. I forgot. I wanted to ask Mr. Massey, a question."

“I can wait,” Jordan said. Her voice was flat. The enthusiasm now forced.

Jenny placed her hand in her front pockets and stared at the ground to avoid Jordan's concerned eyes. “That’s ok. I may take awhile. I’ll call you sometime tonight.”

Jenny made her way back through the halls of the school. She greeted and quickly dismissed a few people who tried to talk. She left the building out an exit at the other end of the building. She was taking the long way home today.

The troubled girl walked along a sidewalk. She passed a variety of stores and fast food places, catching her reflection in a few storefront windows. Confused, Jenny wondered how she could be around the same size as her friends, but be so much fatter.

In just a few short blocks, Jenny was home. She called out into her empty house, making sure she was all-alone. She went into her parent’s room, opened her dad’s sock drawer and pulled out his 9mm handgun. She searched her mind for another way, but this was the only way out she could find. She took solace in the fact this would be the last time she disappointed anyone. She entered her room and wrote a letter that explained her feelings of inadequateness and worthlessness. She implored everyone to not blame themselves. She hoped they would understand this was her only escape. After placing the letter where it would easily be found, she made her way into a bathroom. Standing in a tub, She took the gun and placed it to her head, put her finger on the trigger, and closed her eyes.

Then the doorbell rang. Jenny instinctively opened her eyes. Someone started pounding on front door and ringing the doorbell over and over. Frustrated, Jenny went to get rid of the intrusion.

“May I help you,” Jenny said, trying to sound pleasant.

There were too visitors. One an elderly lady and the other a lady in a wheel chair with a face that looked like it had been through several plastic surgeries. The lady in the wheel chair did not seem to have control over all her motor functions. Her body would betray her from time to time, jerking weirdly. She remained silent except for the occasional burst of an incomprehensible noise. The lady standing kept a hand on the wheel chair, in the gesture of a caretaker.

“We came to stop you,’’ the standing lady said bluntly.

Jenny was confused. “Stop me from what?”

“From what you were about to do in that bath tub.”

Jenny stepped back. ‘How could they know that?’ she thought to herself. “I’m not sure what you think I was about to do, but I’m fine.” She said.

“I promise you have at least one friend who will understand.”

Jenny was starting to feel offended. She was doing her best to look content. “I don’t know what’s your problem, but I’m fine. I’m going back inside. You and your friend have a nice day.”

Jenny went to leave when the impaired lady rolled forward to block the doorway “There are better ways to handle your problem. I promise you are not inadequate or worthless. There are other ways of escape. I assure you do not look fatter than all your friends.” She said with great difficulty. Each word pronounced with great effort.

“I’ll hel…. I mean. I am sure your friend Jordan would be a great source of comfort, Jenny,” the standing lady remarked.

Fighting back tears, Jenny shouted, "I said I am fine. What the hell do you know about me?"

“Well, may I have the gun, then?” the lady in the wheelchair asked.

38

Jenny stumbled back her mouth agape then her eyes contected with the standing lady's concerned eyes. Jenny knew then who these ladies were, and she knew it was best not to ask how or why. "I'll get some help. I promise."

The two ladies soon left with the gun. Jenny went to make a call for professional help and a call to Jordan. She went to stare out the window as she dialed and watch the two ladies walk out of sight, but the lady in the wheel chair was now walking just fine. She even did a little hop, skip, and twirl.
© Copyright 2009 talkingpen (chrisw123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602125-Jenny