*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602215-Blink
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Fiction · Experience · #1602215
A man's epiphanies about the decisions he makes.
Blink





Six o’clock had finally come and my office duties were complete. With an anxious need of a cold beer and relaxation I rushed through my front door heading straight for the fridge. My wife stood around the corner bristling with anger. I realized I’d forgotten an errand she trusted me with. Unwilling to allow anything to ruin my beverage I threw up my hand in defeat with a pitiful look of apology. I heard a click then there was nothing but darkness. My wife taunted me for my forgetfulness while I stood in the dark hoping it to be a mistake. With a swift move she snatched the beer from my hand and splashed it in my face. I blinked, then wiped the wetness from my brow with the back of my hand. She hurled expletives toward me and her disrespect caused me to deliver a painful backhand to her jaw.



Without uttering a word I briskly turned and walked out the door. Unsure of where to go I walked until I came upon a small lounge with a flickering red and green sign that read “Cold Beer.” I found an empty seat at the bar and ordered a tall one. A thin women with caramel skin, hazel eyes and a smile like the sun strutted up to me as the bartender placed the beer in front of me. After hours of in depth conversation about my problems she convinced me that a short trip with her was sure to cheer me up. The fact that I had a wife at home and a fresh beer in front of me caused me to hesitate but curiosity got the best of me and I went anyway. Twenty minutes later we arrived at a small brick apartment building.



Once inside her apartment she got straight to the point. Despite my mind telling me to get out of there because I was about to make a horrible mistake I continued on in committing infidelity. Unknown to me the woman was not just someone who wanted to lift up my spirits, but she expected to get paid for her services. I explained to here that I didn’t have any extra cash at hand and if she had she told me in advance that her kindness had a price we could have avoided this embarrassing situation. Instead of being understanding she became irate and threatened to bring in reinforcement if I didn’t pay. As I continued to stress that there was no possible way I could compensate her I heard a loud thud, the bedroom door flew open and in rushed two enormously sized men. With only seconds to think, I hurriedly jumped out of the bedroom window and onto the fire-escape. The two men came out right behind me as I jumped to the ground and took off running. I took a quick turn and escaped into an alley never looking back until the umbrage of sounds behind me had ceased.



I changed from running to a brisk walk as I tried to catch my breath. A corner store up ahead seemed to be a great place to stop and get a beer so I stopped in and made my purchase. I popped the cap off and took a long swig. I was sweating profusely and my chest heaved in and out rapidly. My bladder was sending me the signal that I needed to empty it so I set off to find the restroom. As I came out I noticed an ATM Machine outside of the store. I stopped there in an attempt to retrieve money so I could pay my electric bill and make up with my wife. As I put in my pin number I felt cold steel being placed against the back of my head. Through the ATM window I saw a masked man behind me who demanded that I take out as much as possible and hand it over to him. In a swift motion I ducked, spun around and attacked the man at the waist sending his gun flying across the ground and causing my beer bottle to shatter on the concrete. We fought vigorously for what seemed like an hour each of us struggling to reach the gun. I gained control of the weapon and stood over him firing one shot. The man slumped down to the concrete, took a final gasp for air then became completely still. The clerk from the corner store came out and warned me that he was calling the police. I was again forced to take off running away from the situation, not looking behind me until I came to a safe haven.



I dropped the gun into a trashcan along the way and headed to a friends house. Pleased with a brief intermission from my hectic day, I retreated to his couch to take a breather. My friends’ wife help clean the wounds that now covered my face, neck and hands from the fight. After being unsuccessfully drilled about my days events they left me alone so that I could rest. I lay down staring up at the ceiling as if it had the answers I sought etched into it. As I thought intensely about how I was going to get out of the mess I had made the news flashed across the television and I saw a sketch of myself with the words “Wanted” typed under it. Over my shoulder I could hear my friend and his wife discussing what they could do with the money if they turned me in. I pretended not to hear them as I lay on the couch waiting for them to disappear. When they took their conversation to the other room I quietly snuck out looking for some other place to hide.



Walking down the street watching the sun set I felt so alone. Distraught tears kissed my cheeks. I was so deep in thought I didn’t see the red and blue lights flashing behind me until they were within a few feet of me. Knowing no other recourse at this point, I ran. I entered an abandoned apartment building with the cops heavy on my heels. I took the stairs three at a time running to no place in particular. I ended up on the roof, surrounded by the cities finest with their weapons drawn. With only the choices of surrendering or jumping off the edge I thought intensely about the bad situation I was in. They urged me surrender by getting down on the ground with my hands behind my head. I contemplated on submitting but I figured ending my life would be a far better alternative.



With one courageous dash my life would be over and my problems would disappear. My knees began to buckle as I looked at the ground below anticipating my demise. Destructive, rapid moments pieced together had turned my life into turmoil. Perhaps if I had handled each situation with thorough concern I would be in solace instead of disharmony. Exuding selfishness and narrow mindedness could result in me losing my life. I had taken my wife and my whole existence for granted.



Hundreds of thoughts and emotions ran through me in an uncontrollable whirlwind causing me to black out. When I came back to reality I was back in my kitchen with my wife still fuming. My beer was in my hand and the room was dark. I struggled to calm my anxious breathing. Grateful that my delusion was over, I poured my beer down the sink and embraced my wife while apologizing for my disregard. I took some candles from beneath the counter and set them around the living room. I thanked God for my second chance at life. With my wife in my arms I lay inside the circle of candles trying to persuade her that I would be more attentive. Once I was sure she had forgiven me, still with a slight tremble inside, I tried to relax and believe that things were back to where they should be. For hours I lay completely still, staring into the darkness with a restless stare, afraid to blink.

© Copyright 2009 MissKJ81 (keniettaj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602215-Blink