*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602930-Breakfast-with-Christmas
Rated: E · Monologue · Inspirational · #1602930
What if Christmas showed up for breakfast?
It was the best meal I had ever eaten especially since I didn’t know if I would ever enjoy anything again after all the bitterness that had led up to it. 
It had not been the only meal I had ever eaten with the master. There had been many meals we shared together reclined at the table sharing much more than food.  Little did I know that at this one meal that it would be the last time I saw him alive, or so I thought.

He warned me that evening, “My friend,” he had said, “Don’t be fooled.  You will betray me.” 

I guess I had been too bullheaded to see it, so when it actually happened I was in shock of what I had done.  When they came and took the master away from us I had truly tried to follow, but my own selfish fears overtook me and not once, not twice but three times I denied I even knew him!  The wretched sound of that cock beckoned me to look up, almost announcing my betrayal.

It was at that time I saw Jesus look at me. I saw the hurt in his eyes and I went out and wept bitterly.  I felt as though I had been kicked hard in the gut and I cried until I was numb. 

When I heard of the master’s death shortly after, it was as if all the life drained out of me.  Not only would I never be able to make it up to him, but the realization I would never see him again set in, and it was too much!  My friend… my master…how could I live with what I had done? 
What else could I do, but go back to the very place I had met him to begin with; back to my old life.  I went fishing and just as before, I had no luck. 

But that was when it happened! 

Why didn’t I recognize him?  Maybe because I was too lost in self pity or too distracted to really notice.  When the master called to us I still did not see the obvious until John said it.  You have to understand we had seen his empty tomb, but I never dreamed…I mean there he was!  How could I not jump in and swim after him? My heart which I thought would never stir again now felt like it had wings and flew to shore!

I fell into the master’s arms, both of us laughing and wet, like there had been no breech at all.  It was then that I saw the feast he had prepared for us…one of food and forgiveness.  I don’t know which was better, his food or the rich words of mercy he showered on me that morning. 

Christmas himself had showed up and done all the cooking! 

Adapted from John 21-Peter’s Reinstatement-A True Christmas Meal!
© Copyright 2009 hobbit fightin the good fight (frodo14 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1602930-Breakfast-with-Christmas