*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1603731-Time-and-Again-I-Do
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1603731
A short enjoyable story about one frazled parent and one rotten kid
Susan McDonald looked very tired. It had been another long day with Charlie. Charlie was Susan’s four year old son who was cute as a button with his black hair and big blue eyes. He may be cute but acts like a devil. His mom was afraid to take him to a baby sitter because the last time she tried he put slime in another kid’s hair, which the sitter said was the last straw.

“So where to today?” asked Jimmy McDonald. “Off to the grocery store I suppose,” said Susan with a sigh. “Get dressed Charlie,” she called up the stairs. “NO!” said Charlie. “Don’t make me come up there,” said Susan. “NOOOOOOOOOO!” said Charlie. “Alright here I come” she said as she stomped up the stairs and forced a shirt and jeans on the little boy. Off to the store they went.

Once they arrived at the store Susan knew it was going to be a bad day. The first thing Charlie did was run up to a kid with a toy and said “gimmee!” “Have you tried teaching that boy some manners?” asked the kid’s dad. “Time and again I do,” said Susan. Next he ran up and down and around and around. “Just get in the cart Charlie,” said Susan. “NOOOOOOOOOOO!” he replied. “Be a good boy and get in the cart, please,” she said. “NO!” he replied. “You might try using time out,” suggested a stranger. “Time and again I do,” Susan said as she lifted Charlie off the ground and in the cart. Finally they got to the check out line and sure enough Charlie climbed out of the cart and out to the conveyor belt. “Oh Charlie,” Susan said with a sigh. “Have you ever tried taking toys away?” asked the cashier. “Time and again I do” Susan replied.

Later that day they went to the mall to get school clothes and shoes. As soon as they got there Charlie started acting up again. He climbed shelves and threw stuff on the floor. “Have you ever tried grounding him?” asked a stranger. “Time and again I do,” answered Susan. When they got to the shoe section, a salesman cam up and asked “Well how are you today?” “Tired,” Susan answered. “And you?” he asked Charlie. “No,” Charlie said. The salesman chuckled and bent down so he was the same size as Charlie and asked, “And how old are you?” Charlie answered by crawling up on the salesman’s head while screaming “No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!” “Ahhhhhhhhh!” screamed the salesman. “Sorry,” said Susan, taking Charlie off the man’s head which was quite hard because the man was tall and because he was running around the store. “Have you ever tried spanking?” asked the salesman, rubbing his head. “Time and again I do,” she answered glumly.

Back home it was dinner time - the second worst time of the day. “Back up away from the stove” said Susan “No!” said Charlie. “I got him,” said Jimmy McDonald as he walked through the door. “Where do you want him?” “In his chair please,” answered Susan from the kitchen. “Thank you,” she said as she gave him a kiss. “How was your day? “ “Fine,” he replied “What’s for dinner?” “Chicken and green beans,” she answered “Nooooooooooooooooooo!” said Charlie “Although he might not get any if he keeps this up,” she said as they sat down. “Open up the tunnel cause here comes the train,” said Jimmy. “No!” said Charlie closing his mouth tightly. “All right, you are going to bed!” said Susan.

At bed time there was chaos - a kid running around and a mom screaming. “Get in bed Charlie.” “No! No! No! No! No! No! No! No!” screamed Charlie. “Yes, for once in your life be goooooooooood!” yelled Susan at the top of her lungs. “Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!” wailed Charlie as he was lifted off the ground and into his bed. “Story!” Charlie demanded. “Not tonight,” said Susan. “NO!” screamed Charlie. “Mommy’s got to make a phone call.” “NO!” screamed Charlie as his mother walked out of the room, turned off the light and went downstairs and called her mom.

“I don't know what to do with him any more,” Susan said glumly. “I’ve tried everything.” “I know, there’s nothing left to do, but to make sure, lets go over everything. Time out?” Susan’s mom asked. “Time and again I do.” Susan said “Spanking?” “Time and again I do,” Susan answered. “Grounding?” “Time and again I do,” Susan said. “Taking toys away?” “Time and again I do,” Susan replied. “Rewarding when good?” “Time and again I do,” Susan said. “You are right, it is hopeless,” said Susan’s mom. “I’m going to bed,” said Susan hopelessly.

In bed was the only time the McDonalds had for themselves. “How was your day?” asked Jimmy. “Horrible,” Susan answered. “Ahh,” Jimmy sighed. Susan turned over and got out a book called Brats and How to Take Care of Them. She read a little then got out a book called Crazy Kids, and read a little more. She then got out a chart that was labeled “Charlie’s improvements.” With a defeated sigh she looked and saw it was blank. She then got out another book called Bad Kids & How to Live With Them. With another sigh, she took out another chart, this one being labeled, “How Bad is Your Kid?” She took out a pen and put a check mark by the word “unbearable.” She then put all this away and tried to sleep. Jimmy asked “Have you ever wished we didn’t have kids?” “Time and again I do,” Susan answered.





THE END

© Copyright 2009 Pretty Pony (blueerin96 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1603731-Time-and-Again-I-Do