*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1604088-Part-of-Book--Chapter-1
by misty
Rated: E · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1604088
Chapter 1 of novel
Voices pulled at me from the darkness. I knew if I moved that I would face immeasurable pain.

"Lieutenant Grander arranged a helo pick up tomorrow morning. We're being evac'd to a naval base, where we re-group and finalize the mission plan."

"So what do we do about her? We can't just leave."

The response was low and angry. "And what you propose we do? Hang around and go AWOL for some Paki woman? We've been here eight days, and I don't think anyone would expect more".

"This woman saved our asses out there, Sir, and with all due respect, I think we owe it to her to make sure she's ok."

Eight days. I'd been here for eight days. I was afraid to move so much as a muscle, but I had to see what was going on. I braced myself, and slowly opened my eyes. I was relieved and surprised when the shots of pain didn't hit me. I even had some sight out of my left eye, if sight was what you could call it. A shadowy aura paced back and forth across the room. The movement made me nauseous, and I heard a groan escape. At least it had the power to stop the room from spinning.

"Hey there, are you awake yet?" The voice was warm, and close. I could feel his breath on my cheek, and smell his biting after shave. I risked another peek, and found a fuzzy shape hovering over me. If memory serves, he was one of the men I'd followed in the jungle. Not the one who'd been shot, obviously, but the one who told her they couldn't fly. Jesus. What part of Air can a SEAL claim, if he can't even fly? I could feel my ire rise, again angry and frustrated. I shouldn't be here. Why the hell didn't I just die?

I let my eye flutter close. The effort it took trying to concentrate  Despite the situation, she felt fairly safe. He was the one who fought to keep her with them when the others would have abandoned her.Was that a blessing or a curse?

"She's awake. I'll go get a nurse. Maybe she can tell us her name, and you won't insist we babysit her any more." The second figure left the room, and the door slammed shut behind him.

"Don't worry about him, he just wants to get home." Her eyes remained focussed on him, but the rest of her remained unnaturally still. He sighed, and sat back down on the folding visitors chair. "So can you tell us your name?"

"Her eyes followed him
© Copyright 2009 misty (mistyj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1604088-Part-of-Book--Chapter-1