*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1604540-Laptop
Rated: E · Short Story · Animal · #1604540
A baboon explores a laptop.
The rule for this contest is that you have 15 minutes to write a story or poem. The prompt was a picture of a large male baboon playing with a laptop while a female and two young ones look on.

*****

Edith eyed her husband suspiciously. He had brought home a flat rock earlier in the day. Now, he somehow seemed to have split it nearly in half.

A “Let me see that,” had been met with bared fangs and a small amount of chest beating.

Joules poked away at his new possession, not really sure if it was good for anything or not. He giggled to himself as he remembered the look on the tall hairless monkey’s face when the troop had rushed him. Priceless.

They had split of the contents of a dropped bag. Rufus, being the biggest got first choice. He went with the bag itself. Joules was second in line. It had been a tough choice between the Nikon and the laptop.

He had gone with the laptop, a.k.a. the flat rock.

As he continued to poke, little ant-like things showed up on the screen.

“)*YI&6…What's in a name? That which we call a rose, by any other name would smell as sweet **%$#.”

What the hell? he thought.

Joules was losing interest quickly. Looking over his shoulder, he could see Rufus parading around with his bag. Maybe I can whack Rufus with this thing and take his bag. Joules often had such thoughts about Rufus.

“It’s time for you to put that thing away. The kids and I are ready to eat and the grubs are getting cold.”

Joules knew that tone. Edith was about to give him what-for. Still, he couldn’t let her push him around. He slapped the rock a few more times and then meandered over to dinner.

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times …” faded with the setting sun and the dying battery.




http://www.jimdillingham.blogspot.com


© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1604540-Laptop