*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1604852-The-New-Muses
by Kimber
Rated: E · Article · Arts · #1604852
Short article about the changing face of fashion muses
The New Muses

Real designer clothes are a luxury reserved for the elite, yet the models gracing the glossy pages of Vogue, Elle and Bazaar allow the rest of us to momentarily imagine our own personal transformations.  Fashion magazines are more than just a source of fantasy for women who will never be able to afford a pair of Ann Demeulemeester lace-up boots, they also are a fountain of inspiration.  Elegant photo layouts advertise the season’s latest trends, help women fashion their own wardrobes, and create their own personal aesthetics. A picture of Kate Moss belting an oversize blouse inspires a thousand other women to find different and creative ways to cinch their own waists.

At one time models and celebrities reined exclusively as fashion muses, but blogging can now transform ordinary women into fashion icons overnight.  Scott Schuman’s seminal blog “The Satorialist” is perhaps the most well-known fashion oriented blog to recently gain notoriety.  His site features candid pictures of everyday men and women from around the globe who demonstrate their own distinct personal styles.  Not all of his subjects look like models strutting down a catwalk, but have the look of ordinary people exhibiting extraordinary fashion sense. Another equally acclaimed fashion blog is seventeen-year-old, Jane Aldridge’s, “Sea of Shoes.” While Aldridge has a closet full of designer duds, and a shoe collection for which I would kill, her whimsical sense of style and introspective aesthetic is both original and inspiring. “Sea of Shoes” documents Aldridge’s daily wardrobe changes, punctuated by reflective blurbs about artists and other influences that motivate her fashion choices. Cleary Aldridge views fashion as an art form, rather than as an excuse to flaunt the latest trend and designer labels.

While many of her Aldridge's choices are outlandish and impractical for those of us who work regular nine to five jobs, bloggers like Emily Schuman (not related to Scott) have perfected the balance of what's fashionable and what's practical. Schuman’s blog “Cupcakes and Cashmere,” chronicles the fashionista’s daily ensembles with pieces that range from affordable H&M, to costly labels like Alberta Ferretti.  She also writes about the season’s latest trends, where to find them, posts recipes and cooking advice, and dispenses beauty tips.  What makes Schuman’s sense of style truly fashion forward is her keen ability to pair a classic black dress with a Grecian gold belt, an edgy, neon yellow purse, and still maintain an air of simplicity and class. Schuman, Schuman  and Aldridge are only three bloggers amongst the hundreds of 'stlyistas' participating in this emerging discipline. What I find so refreshing about this movement is its potential to inspire ordinary people to express themselves and find happiness and creative statement with fashion.

© Copyright 2009 Kimber (kimberwestern at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1604852-The-New-Muses