*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1605159-A-Pumpkins-Life
by JJByrd
Rated: E · Fiction · Holiday · #1605159
The life of a pumpkin seed named Jack.
         Jack nestled up next to his sister inside the package of pumpkin seeds. The small package was dark, crowded and loud. When the package moved all of the other seeds started to panic, and they began talking and yelling over one another. “What is happening?” “Where are we going?” “What is to become of us?” Some of them were screaming in terror. It was a scene of chaos.

         Jack held close to his sister and whispered, “What is going on? Why is every body yelling and screaming?” Jack’s sister barely heard what Jack had said. She pulled Jack closer to her and held him tightly. The commotion from the other seeds scared Jack. He closed his eyes and tried to find a happy memory to focus on. The problem was he didn’t have any memories to draw from. All he could remember was hanging next to his sister inside the great orange cave of his mother. The thought of it only brought back cold, wet feelings but nothing pleasant.

         His sister leaned in and said, “don’t worry little brother, I don’t think we're headed for an end but for a new beginning. Remember Mother? She wasn’t a little seed like us; she was a grand, beautiful pumpkin. I think we are going somewhere to grow and become like her. I hope.” Suddenly a strange tearing sound erupted within the package and a great light flooded into the darkness. The package was open and seeds were being plucked one by one by a strange, monstrous anomaly. Jack was ripped from his sister’s arms and lifted towards the light. He was too scared to scream. He just watched as his sister slowly disappeared from sight. The next thing he knew, he was being pushed into the cold, moist dirt and covered up. Just as quickly as the light was revealed to Jack, it was now being ripped away from him. Jack found himself in complete darkness once again, but this time he was alone and the silence that surrounded him was unsettling. He closed his eyes tightly and became one with the darkness. Jack was asleep.

         Jack was awoken by a strange sensation. Warmth settled around him and he opened his eyes to the blinding light of the sun. His body had changed significantly. He was no longer a seed. The top of his head had sprouted into a bright yellow flower. His arms had grown into wonderful vines and his legs into strong roots. He was becoming a pumpkin just like his sister had told him. He looked around the field to find his sister, but he couldn’t see her. Jack soaked up the rays of sunshine and returned to sleeping. He felt very tired.

         Jack opened his eyes to an astonishing sight. A young human girl was staring right at him. She yelled out, “I want this one mommy. He is perfect!” Jack smiled to himself, as the young girl lifted him off the ground. He didn’t feel a thing when his arms and legs were removed. It was weird. The girl took him home, cut a hole in top of his head, removed his guts, cut holes to make a face and lit a candle inside of him. Jack was a jack-o-lantern and he had never felt more alive.



Word Count 550

© Copyright 2009 JJByrd (jjw51 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1605159-A-Pumpkins-Life