*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1605692-The-Scarlet-Water
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1605692
Scarlett's life is horrible since her mother's murder, and she's done. (fictional)
It was late when Scarlett stumbled upstairs, bloody and bruised. Her father had come home drunk again, whenever he drank he blamed her for her mother's death. Scarlett limped into the bathroom and ran a bath to wash off the blood. As she waited, she started to think about her past.
Ever since the day her mother was killed her life had gone terribly awry. She found herself slowly drifting away from her friends, until her only friend was the razor. About a week after the murder, she realized just how satisfying a deep cut can be. It quickly became an addiction, until she couldn't tell the self inflicted wounds from the ones her father had given her.
Six months ago, her mother had been found on the side of the road with her throat cut open. She was lying in a pool of her own blood. The police said it was a "mugging turned fatal," but after just a week they dropped the investigation. Shortly after her father turned to liquor, and he is a violent drunk. He took this violence out on poor, innocent Scarlett, until even she began to believe the murder was her own fault.
Scarlett looked in the mirror and realized just how awfully things had turned out. She pulled the razor out from its hiding place in the cabinet under the sink. That's when it hit her like a blow from her father. Life was never going to get any better than this. She had turned to hurting herself because of how guilty and depressed she was. That is why she decided to end it.
She opened the medicine cabinet and quickly found what she was looking for. Aspirin, an effective blood thinner. She swallowed all the pills in the bottle, even though she didn't take the time to count exactly how many. She took her razor and used it to trace the vain all the way from her palm to her elbow on her left arm. Scarlett then did the same for her right arm. She then undressed and laid down in the tub, dripping blood the whole time the warm bath water and the Aspirin kept her blood flowing. Scarlett felt very little pain as the water slowly turned bright red. Then she felt nothing it all, it was due to the loss of blood. Her vision became hazy ad the entire tub had slowly turned scarlet, her namesake. She felt herself slipping away, but felt no joy about it. She felt only regret that it had come to this. Her breath began to grow short, in her final moments she managed to whisper "I'm done with all this, the next life must be better than the 'life' I'm ending." And so ended the tragedy of Scarlett, dead at the age of fourteen.
© Copyright 2009 Zach The Drummer (tarot_drummer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1605692-The-Scarlet-Water