*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1607676-Confessions-pt-2
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: GC · Short Story · Drama · #1607676
A battered woman changes her identity to escape an abuse ex.
Section 8
Clint was in a black mood. Every room, he went to was an even bigger reason to piss him off. He began to pull food from her fridge. Some where she learned to cook. He'd just sat down to eat when heard laughter. He picked up a large knife and stood by the door.
“Whoa, watch out.” Jake caught me as I almost fell.
“Oh my God!” My place was a mess. Chairs were turned over, drawers were emptied, and my pictures were on the floor broken.
“Stay here,” he said, starting to search the house.
“Jake,” I was scared. He came back to me to hold my hand.
“It's okay, baby.” I crept along behind him. There was a loud roar from the kitchen and something or someone rushed Jake from the kitchen and pinned him to the wall. I screamed as I recognized him. My hands flew to my mouth as he turned to growl at me. His eyes were hollow and wild. “Jenna, run!” Jake said, pushing Jake back. That's when I saw the flash. Jake punched Clint in the jaw.
“Jake!” I screamed as Clint sank the blade into his stomach. “No,” tears burned my eyes. I ran to my room. My eyes searched my room wildly. My bat was just where I left it, when Jake gave it to me. Clint had ruined my life once, he wouldn't take Jake away from me now. I just started swinging. All I remember is Alex with his arms around me, forcing me to drop the bat.

“Jenna, stop! We gotta get Jake to the hospital. He's hurt real bad.” I could hear Greg from the next room on his cell phone calling the police. I dropped to my knees next to Jake. The adrenaline high, he was on, was slowly causing him to crash.
“I'm so sorry, baby.” He reached up to touch my face. “I told you I'd protect you.” He passed out then. I began to sob, my head against his.

The police arrived just before the EMTS. “Ma'am, we need to ask you some questions.”

Greg blew up. “What kind of questions? Really?!? Her fiancée was attacked is being loaded into an ambulance and you are giving her a hard time!”
“Greg, we have a dead body.” Detective Earle said.
“No kidding?” Greg was sarcastic. “The guy tried to kill them. We're lucky its not Jake and Jenna!”
“I'm sorry about Jake....” he began as Jake was rolled past.
“Jenna,” Greg paused, trying to control his temper, “is going to the hospital with Jake.”
I killed him. I hung my head as I followed Jake's gurney into the ambulance. Clint had attacked Jake, he had been the monster only I had known. Jake had paid dearly because I'd been a coward. I couldn't, wouldn't lose Jake. I loved him. He'd taught me love, compassion, and patience. I don't know how I could live without him.
Section 9
The surgery went well. Jake was lucky, and the deepest laceration was repaired by removing his appendix altogether. Dr. Taylor was young, but experienced.
She came to speak with us shortly after Jake's surgery. “Jake is going to be fine. He had a few minor lacerations, but we were most worried about the damage done to his appendix. Due to his mother's wishes,” she nods to the older woman Jenna hadn't noticed, “we removed it, to be on the safe....”
“Jenna, you have to come with us.” Detective Earle showed up.
I was confused. “Why?”
“The person who entered your home unlawfully was Clint Masters,” He began.
“Was my ex-husband,” I couldn't take the lies any longer.
“What?” Alex said. He growled. “I would have killed him myself, if I would have gotten there sooner.”
“Wait a minute,” Dr. Taylor interrupted. “You can't barge into my hospital and harass people!” Dr. Taylor crossed her arms. “You guys did the same thing to me last year my husband was assaulted! I will not stand for it to happen again.” She frowned. “Neither will my cousin or brother.”
“Who do you think you are?” growled Detective Stevens.
“The daughter-in-law of the boss,” Detective Earle stated. “Dr. Taylor is married to the son of Mayor Andrews.”
“Actually,” Dr. Taylor reached into her pocket for a card. “any questions you have for her can be directed here.” She handed the card to Detective Earle. “The call can be directed to my brother Scott, my cousin Jordan, or my friend, Shannyn, aka Taylor, Hart, Michaels, and Irvine.”
All mouths dropped. Taylor, Hart, Michaels and Irvine was an international law firm with a great reputation. Their firm was experienced in several forms of all and had introduced them to a great many medical experts.
“Jenna, be that as it may, you still need to come with us.”
“Can she see Jake first?” Mrs. Parker put her arm around me. Dr. Taylor was on the other side of me as we entered the ICU. She showed us to Jake's bed and left us to attend to her other patients. Fresh tears sprang to my eyes as I saw him lying there pale and worn. “Jake,” his mother whispered. “Jenna and I are here, baby.” Mrs. Parker's eyes were puffy and red. His eyes fluttered briefly before they opened.
“Hi,” he said, hoarse. He reached for my hand. I felt his rough thumb rub my palm. “You okay?” I nod. “Don't cry, I'm fine.” He gave us a weak smile. “I'm going to move to recovery in the morning.” He turned to his mom. “This is Jenna., Mom.” His smile brightened as he added, “We're getting married.” His mom gave sad smile as a nurse came in.
“Ma'am, are you Jenna?” I nod. “Detective Earle said to tell you it's time.”
“For what?” Jake said. I leaned down and gave him a soft kiss on the lips. “Jenna?”
“I love you,” I hung my head and left.
“Jenna!” He called after me.
“They cuffed me in the lobby, in front of everyone. I kept my eyes locked on the tile floor. This was it, my life was truly over.

Section 10
“Shannyn Hart,” Shannyn hit the speaker phone as wrestled with her fax machine.
“Shannyn,” Dr. Taylor began. “Remember when you said if I needed help with any of my patients?”
“Yeah, but it was an attempt at sarcasm, Sara.” Shannyn sat down and sighed. “Why? What do you need?”
“Well,” she paused. “It's not my patient, really, it's his fiancée.”
“Ok?”
“My patient was attacked by an intruder in her home. Turns out she was arrested because the intruder was her ex-husband.”
Shannyn pulled a legal pad to her. “The police think it was a conspiracy?”
“Not sure, exactly, but she's not arrested on that charge.” Sara gritted her teeth.
“So what was she arrested for?”
“Some classification of murder, Murder 2 I think.”
“Be serious.”
“I am. She beat her ex with a baseball bat. A friend pulled her off.”
Shannyn sat back in her chair. “He broke in?”
“Yeah, a psych evaluations wouldn't hurt her considering the story I'm getting from most of the people involved.”
“Hmmm,” Shannyn thought to herself. These things do not turn out as easily as they sounded. Sara filled her in on the rest of the story. This would take a considerable amount of time for the pre-trial discovery. Yet, a favor was a favor. Shannyn had known Sara and her twin brother Scott, most of her life. “Alright, I'll handle it myself. I'll call in Alexis. She has experience in this area.” After clearing out her schedule she called her husband. “Jayson, I've got a big case coming up. Want to go to Boston?”
“What?” He laughed. “Sure? What about Christian?”
“He can come with us. Jordan's on this case. She's planning on bringing Jessica. I may be calling in Kristin, if she brings her husband then you'll have someone to play with too.”
He laughed. “Okay.” He says distracted. The sound of hard rock was blaring in the background. She could hear weights clanking in the gym he ran.
“Jay?” She paused. “Thanks for being how you are.” She hung up then, not wanting to explain. She had work to do.
SECTION 11
I laid on the bunk and stared up at the wall. Someone long before me had scrawled, 'Only God will judge me' in large block letters. I had sunk to the lowest I had been since my wedding night. My one phone call had resulted in the knowledge that my divorce attorney Eliza Dean had been my murdered and my files stolen from her office. The case was still under investigation. Alex had been to visit me and given reports on Jake's well being. He'd brought news that Dr. Taylor had called in a favor to get her an attorney, but none had shown up. It was now looking hopeless. Two days was a long time to be in jail with no word on what was to happen to me. I missed Jake badly. I worried myself sick.
“Are you Jenna?” A tall raven haired woman with hazel eyes asked. She was with another short blond woman. Both were dressed in tailored black pin stripe suits.
“We're attorneys from Hart, Taylor, Irvine, and Michaels,” the blond announced in a deep Southern accent. I sat up as yet another guard unlocked the door.
The tall one stepped forward. “Shannyn Hart.”
The blond stepped forward to shake my hand, “Jordan Gregory. “My cousin spoke to us briefly about your case.”
“Oh,” I was surprised. It was a little easier speaking to them than I had thought it might be when the idea first came to my attention. I began to tell them my story.
“Sorry, I'm late. Flight problems.” The new woman had auburn hair and was dressed in a taupe pant suit. “Alexis Sarven,” she grinned. “Not a joke,” She then got serious. “I only caught the end of this conversation, but my opinion is you were never given the therapy required.” She came to sit next to me on the bunk. “I know how it is. I was with an abusive boyfriend. I was in a coma for six months.”
“So how do you propose we proceed?” Shannyn asked.
“I'm going to call my sister and get an immediate psychological evaluation, we need to subpoena the court to unseal the divorce settlement and name change records since her files were stolen from her attorney's office were stolen.” Alexis jumped up and began to pace back and forth. I would soon learn she was very hyper.
“I have some of that in a safety deposit box.”
Shannyn withdrew a contract from her briefcase. “Standard contract for legal services. The fee is pro-bono.”
“I...” I didn't know what to say.
“Don't worry about anything legal. I work these cases all the time, sometimes pro-bono because everyone needs a good defense. That maybe cheesy, but its personal.” Alexis patted my shoulder.
I felt so much better when they left. Ms. Sarven believed me, better yet, she understood.
SECTION 12
Three weeks later----
Shannyn, Alexis, and Jordan stood in a semi-circle behind a podium. The Assistant District Attorney scowled as he realized he was smaller than all but one of the defense team. He was intimidated by taller women. Alexis stepped forward. “Alexis Sarven for the defense your honor. We have evidence that negates the charges against our client.”
Jordan stepped forward with a thick folder. “Jordan Gregory, your honor. To briefly sum the file before you, Jenna Hawk, also known as Hailey Masters, was tortured and half starved for years as the deceased's wife. The file is full of pictures and medical reports of the countless injuries suffered in the five years she was married to him. We are also submitting a psychological evaluation by our staff psychologist, Astrid Sarven, is that upon seeing her ex-husband physically attacking her fiancée, she broke with reality in a classic case of disassociation due to her suffering from Battered Woman's Syndrome.”
“Counsel, you've been quiet.” The judge said finally addressing the brooding ADA.
“Your honor,” he stepped forward, “I'm not entirely convinced. The malicious nature of the injuries resulting in Mr. Masters' death and the time between the attack on Mr. Parker, Ms. Hawk's fiancée, I would need more information before I can agree to the findings. I would also request someone licensed to practice in this state to determine if Ms. Hawk did indeed suffer any form of disassociative behavior.”
“Your honor, if you refuse the evaluation from Dr. Sarven as bias, surely you cannot expect someone of Dr. Crystal Lopez' reputation to do anything unfairly do to our personal animosity."
“Your Honor,” the ADA squirmed. “the defense is attempting to...”
“To what, counsel? I do find Dr. Lopez to be highly qualified and respected as a judicial consultant. Yet, in answering your request, she is respected psychologist who is not associated with the defense. Motion granted. Prosecution has thirty days, otherwise I'm dismissing on grounds of medical evidence.”
“Your honor,” Shannyn stepped forward. “Greg Meyers, Ms. Hawk's employer requests to have her released into his custody.”
“Your honor, The State has no opposition to bail.” The ADA groused.
“500,000 and a mandatory psych evaluation by Dr. Lopez.”
Section 13
I was home , but things weren't the same. Sure, Jake and I were okay, but others were sniping at me and talking behind my back. Greg and his wife almost separated over his using the construction company as collateral for my bail. Alexis thought it best to attempt to solve all problems at once. She decided that I should air my past in a press conference. She'd wanted Oprah but Shannyn had vetoed the idea, calling it pretentious and to controversial. She thought it best to keep a low profile. Any publicity seeking would have given me the appearance of someone untrustworthy. With my court date on the horizon I tried to stay out of the public eye as much as possible. It was hard, one of us had to work and Jake couldn't.
I slammed my journal shut with annoyance as my cell began to ring, “Hello?”

“You sitting down?” Alexis asked.
“Yeah, kinda,” those evil butterflies began gnawing at my stomach again.
“I have good news and bad news.”
“Huh?” She wasn't making any sense. She was in spastic mode.
“The ADA released discovery naming Master as the last known visitor to Eliza Dean.”
“What?” I choked on my soda.
“It seems the local sheriff's department called in the Mississippi State Police have been investigating your ex for the murder of your divorce attorney. They have no murder weapon, but his finger prints are all over her office and security videos have him entering and exiting the office sometime around midnight. The only thing missing from her office was your file.”
I sat back and sucked in my breath. Eliza's death was my fault. Clint had killed her. “Has he sent this to the judge.”
“No, but he's downgraded the charges to malice.”
“What does that mean exactly?”
She took a deep breath. “It means his stalling, your trial is a few days away. We begin picking jurors day after tomorrow, which is the last day of his continuance. Jordan is currently working on a brief of dismissal. We'll file it tomorrow afternoon around five.”
“Why so late?”
“Courts close at five, the prosecution won't have time to respond.”
“Thank you, Alexis.”
“You can thank me by giving me a wedding invite.”
“Hell, you're a maid-of-honor.”
SECTION 14
“State of Massachusetts versus Jenna Hawk, also known as Hailey Masters is now in session.”
The Assistant District Attorney took it trial. The stalling tactic had worked. Jordan's clerk had gotten lost and never made it to the court house. He had met Harvard Campus and attempted to navigate the foot traffic for directions.
“Your Honor, due to the recent discovery of the Mississippi State Crime Lab in Jackson, cigarette butts found ground into Eliza Dean's carpet had saliva that is a genetic match to Mr. Clint Masters. Furthermore, upon the cross referencing of the knife found upon his person, had trace elements of blood, is in fact, that of Ms. Dean, it only stands to reason that Mr. Masters did intend to murder his ex-wife. We request an immediate dismissal. Ms. Hawk was in immediate danger of a man who had, as a matter of record, threatened to kill her.” Alexis was eloquent as she stood before the defense table.
“Be that as it may, while I do agree this has some relevance to the matter at hand, the District Attorney's office has the right to answer. Counselor?”
He scanned his work, so he could avoid the judge's eyes. “Your Honor, after reading Dr. Lopez's report,” he clears his throat. “and reading the findings that Mr. Masters was in fact a prime suspect in another murder,” he throws his hands up. “I have to agree. He killed one person and attempted to kill Mr. Parker. Your honor, I see no reason, not to agree.” The last bang of the gavel seemed so far away. Hands were clasping me on the back and shaking my hands.
Eight months later:
“Hey baby?” Jake lay next to me in our new home in Springfield.
“Yeah,” he says still stiff on his right side. I stroked his wedding ring.
“Do you regret the drama I put you through?”
“No,” he began.
“Good,” I said sighing.
“Why?” He asked.
“Well, I'd be really stressed out if we were fighting.”
“Okay,” he raised up on his elbow to look at me.
I turned thoughtful. “Yeah,” savoring his confusion., “cause the doctor said the stress could hurt the baby.”
His eyes grew large and his mouth dropped open. “Wha?”
“It's okay, Daddy, you're going to have your matching set.” I reached into my bureau drawer to remove a manila envelope. Dumping the contents onto the bed, I announced, “Jordan's primary focus has become family law.”
Jake's Adam's apple bobbed up and down as he read the thick brief. His daughter, Allison, wanted to have weekends with her father. I shook the envelope in front of him. Two little squares came out. Sonograms, it was hard to keep these from him., I'd been lucky not to get sick when he was around. The sex of the baby was clearly marked with a white arrow. “Happy Birthday, Jake.”
“Oh,” he uttered as he pulled me to him. “Thank you, Baby,” he whispered burying his face in my hair.
Alex's sister graduated with honors. She turned out to be a great therapist. She pointed out that I was a new person. Hailey was afraid to stand up to Clint. Jenna, on the other hand, was loved, comfortable with herself, and had lots of friends. She was confident.
“You know we could always call him Hailey. There are boys named Hailey.” I quipped.
We looked at each other then. “Nah.”
Jake swept everything off the bed and leaned me back. He began to kiss every inch of my body. As I started to float I realized that things were going to be alright. We still had time to name him. 'Him,” our son, the baby I didn't think I'd have. It was weird how things work out. If not for Clint, I would never have wound up in Boston or meeting Jake. I don't know if the stupid kid I had been would have matured into the wife and mother-to-be that I'd become. Huh, you know it's funny, I guess. God does work in mysterious ways.
© Copyright 2009 kstancil (kstancil at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1607676-Confessions-pt-2