*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1607836-The-Tip-of-the-Spear
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1607836
A guard post struggles against winer, orcs and undead.

         Shannon Goldmere stepped out of the chow hall at Tilver’s Watch and took in the site of her camp. Her thick blonde hair whipped in the brisk wind and her red cape beat against her legs.

         “A-tten-tion!” the formation of 20 soldiers was called to attention by the sergeant at arms. He pivoted around to face Shannon. Up came a brisk salute. “Guards of Tilver’s Watch, all present and accounted for.”

         Shannon returned the salute. “Thank you, Sergeant. Stand at ease.” The men relaxed their stance. “I know that this time of year gets boring, and cold, but these are the times we must remain vigilant. You are the first line of defense for all of Cormyr. You single handedly keep hordes of orcs and invading marauders at bay. YOU are the tip of the spear. Be alert. Many of you have noticed Lord Astolfo here already. He is here to investigate the reports of undead in the area. Lend him any assistance he needs. Sergeant! Take charge and carry out the plan of the day.”
         
         “Yes, ma’am!” The sergeant at arms pivoted back around toward his men. “Guards…Fallout!” And with that the day at Tilver’s watch began.
         
         

“There you are, Astolfo, I didn’t see you at breakfast.” Shannon said as her hot breath fogged the air in front of her.

         Astolfo nodded to her, “Yes, ma’am, I wanted an early start today and decided to instruct some of the men on what to do if they come across undead on their patrols. The Cormyr Army does not provide you with silver weapons do they?”

         The frozen ground crunched under Shannon’s feet as she walked over to Astolfo. “No it would not be feasible to pay for silver weapons for every member of the military. Do you think there could be a vampire around?”

         Looking down at the short woman Astolfo pulled a small vile of clear liquid from his pouch. “Here you go; you should carry this with you. It is holy water; I will make more as I can. I am not sure what, if anything is out here, I would just like to be safe though. No unnecessary deaths.”

         “Well with any luck some caravans will be coming in from the north east today and we can get some reports from the other regions. This time of the year is slow for us though so I will up the patrols along Moonsea Ride. Next week we will be sending a group to check out Urlspur if you would like to go.”

         “Yes that sounds like a good idea.”

A young soldier is chain mail approached Shannon. “Good morning, ma’am. I have prepared your horse for you.”

“Thank you, Raer. Is my trident packed as well?”

“Yes, ma’am.” Raer said. His wind chilled red cheeks turned a deeper shade as he added, “Do you think maybe you would like to have breakfast with me this morning Shann….”

“That is Captain Goldmere, Raer, and I have already eaten thank you.” She quickly put the new soldier in his place as she often had to with new members of the guard that thought they could court the lovely young captain. She then headed toward the large tower in the center of the encampment to do her daily check of the treasury and armory.

“Rider coming in! From the East!” One of the senior members of the guard yelled down from the top of the tower. At this call Raer and two other guards, armed with long spears stepped outside the outpost onto Moonshae Ride. It was customary for guards at the outpost to greet incoming travelers and register them in the log books.

A single rider coming in from the east, this time of year? Something about this did not sit right with Shannon so she followed the guards to the road. Astolfo was hand feeding Alto, when he heard the call. Something did not seem right about this in his mind either and he began to prepare Alto for riding.

Shannon squinted her eyes fighting the blowing wind as the rider came into view. He was riding hard and fast, puffs of hot air shooting from the horse’s mouth with each forceful breath.

“Raer, be a dear and get me Rose Bud.” Shannon said as she tightened her belt and donned her helmet.

“Yes, ma’am.”

As the rider got closer he began to wave his hands in the air. When Raer returned with his captain’s horse he was shoved aside by her small frame as she hurriedly hopped in the saddle and took off toward the rider.

The rider was within 25 yards of Shannon now and she could see blood on his face, she yelled out to him “How far away?”

“Y-Y-You have to hurry!” was the rider’s only response as he pointed down the road.

One of the men outside of the outpost blew a horn to signal the men to arm themselves; and Astolfo came thrashing out of the outpost on Alto with a few riders in tow.


Hold your shot. Her bow came up and the deer was in sight. Not yet she could hear her father’s voice say in her head. Hold the shot, wait for the right moment. Frost, let a low rumbling growl out as he waited patiently nearby, eager for a meal. Hold the shot. The hefty buck had no idea that the elf was watching, waiting to take a shot and to take his life. Crash! The sounds of a giant boulder snapping a tree in two rang out through the forest. The buck was off and running in the opposite direction and Frost raised his large frame from his hiding spot. An’duin jumped down out of her perch and ran toward the sounds, Frost hot on her tail.

An’duin could hear screams from the trade road just outside of the tree line. Crash! Another boulder flew through the air and this time the elf watched helplessly as it crashed into a fleeing wagon on the road. An’duin saw a large Hill Giant charge down towards the wagon. She followed suit and Frost was in tow. Two women hastily jumped from the wreckage and pulled half a dozen crying children out and fled from the charging giant to the opposite side of the forest. Three meagerly dressed men prepared a make shift defense against the much larger foe. A fourth man pulled himself from the wreckage and mounted a horse and headed towards the Cormyr outpost.

The hill giant made his way toward the wreckage, dragging a good sized tree behind him. With eyes sternly set on the men in front of the carnage he created, he was oblivious to the fact that the rider got away; and to the elf running down the hill after him. His mind was fixated on the treasures that could be in the wagon and if nothing of interest was in there he could always feast on the women and children. His stomach growled with delight when he thought about that. He charged in, head low. Towering over the men at least by five feet and weighing 500 pounds more than the three of them combined. The men stood no chance, not even with the long spears they held. Realizing their impending doom they abandoned their plan and jumped out of the way, one brave man standing close enough to jab his spear into the giant’s leg, and getting nearly trampled to death for his effort. The spear wasn’t as lucky. It dug into the giant’s massive leg and splintered apart half way down the shaft.

An’duin was in a full sprint now, swiftly unleashing arrows as she ran. Landing shot after shot into the giant’s thick skin. Whoosh, whoosh, whoosh! Three more arrows flew. The giant spun around. He hardly felt the arrows stinging his arms. Down crashed his club. Nearly crushing the puny humans. The end of the club smashing the ground just in front of the charging elf. The angry giant, still fixated on his victims, did not notice her jump onto the club. Drawing her long sword and hatchet, she was determined to make him notice her.

“Caela ie’lle!” An’duin let out a loud war cry as she charged on.

Shannon came galloping hard around the bend in the frozen road and could hear women screaming and children crying. She saw a giant wildly swinging a club around and urged her horse to move faster. Her eyes opened wide in amazement as she witnessed an elf run up the giant’s club and onto his arm.

An’duin sprang up and landed gracefully on the giant’s wrist. She thrust her sword down. Sinking it into the meaty part of his hand. Then hacked at his knuckle with her hatchet. The hill giant quickly dropped the club and jerked his hand away, launching An’duin into the air.


Shannon guided her mount tactically around the back side of the wreckage. Her thighs tightened against the saddle as she grasped her waiting trident. Her eyes locating a weakness on the giants massive back as she rode up and then he let it fly. Thunk!  The giant howled as the pain shot up his back.

Frost was now in front of the giant distracting him while the three travelers made their escape and huddled with the women and children.

An’duin picked herself up out of the wreckage in time to see a gigantic fist come thundering down at her. She took the low road and dove under some wreckage and rolled out behind the debris. The giants hand narrowly missing her. The wagon broke apart even more, trapping An’duin underneath.

“Over here!” Shannon cried out gaining the attention of her lumbering foe.
The giant turned his head and stared her down. Hair stood up on the back of her neck as she realized just how big he was. Her grip tightened on her mighty Khopesh sword as she dismounted. All the tactics used in giant fighting ran threw her head. Stay low, be fast, aim for the legs. Sweat beaded up and ran down her face, and steam escaped her mouth as she exhaled a deep breath. Her heart pounded away as the giant came in hard. She felt his tremendous strength as he punched with a massive fist. Her teeth clenched hard as she took the hit right on the shield. Her feet dug into the muddy road and she hardly moved. She charged in hard and fast, sidestepping another arm as she went. Brutally slicing with her weapon. She cut deep into the giants fatty thighs.

Frost sprang into action, standing on his hind legs and grabbing hold of the giant from behind, digging his claws into flesh and biting hard. The thick hides the giant wore was little match for the teeth and claws of the ferocious grizzly bear.

Sensing he was outmatched the giant grew desperate. He snatched up a large wooden plank. This freed An’duin. He swung the board violently at Shannon. Her shield came up to block it, but it knocked her side ways. Her shield and helmet fell to the floor. She fought the pain and came in hard. Clutching her sword with both hands now, she hacked away.

An’duin let her axe fly. Then followed it up with several thrusts of her sword.



Astolfo came around the bend with three rider’s right behind him. His grip tightened on the reins as he saw Rose Bud without a rider. A slight smile cracked through his lips as he noticed the red cape and blonde locks of Shannon Goldmere blowing in the wind. They whipped around with each forceful swing of her sword.

The giants legs were badly wounded. His hide clothes were soaked with blood. Shannon, muscles burning, heart pumping, lungs screaming for air, was swinging with all her might now. She hacked again into the giant’s badly wounded right leg and again and again then the last time she swung her sword with all her might but the giant was all ready on his way down. She missed fell to one knee. Frost was able to drag the falling behemoth to the ground. An’duin sprang up onto his fat gut, ran across his torso and plunged her sword into his heart.

The giant lay motionless. An’duin helped Shannon to her feet, “You are very brave.”

“Thank you, as are you. I am Shannon Goldmere, Captain of the guard at Tilver’s Watch.”

“I am An’duin. That is Frost.” Motioning to the large bear head back towards the forest.

“We will clean up here…thank you.”





The boy jumped as he came around the corner and caught a glimpse of Janora. She was sitting on a small boulder strumming her lute. “Hello love, did I startle you?”

“No ma’am…I just didn’t see you there.”

“Hey you have a lute as well, would you like to join me?” she said as she patted the rock next to her.

The boys pale skin flushed pink at the gesture. “Sure, but I can’t stay too long. My name’s Bren.”

Beiro came out from around a tree as the boy sat down. “Why? Where are you headed?”

The boy jumped again. “What? Oh…oh um…who…Tilver’s…”

“Tilver’s Watch?” Beiro interrupted. Janora placed her hand on the Bren’s shoulder.

“Y-y-yes sir. You know of it?”

“Of course we do dear.” Janora said stealing the boy’s attention from Beiro. “It is very dangerous up there.”

“Really? I am not too…”

         “Lots of undead creatures I hear.” Bren’s head went snapping back toward Beiro. “And left over orcs from the recent wars.”

         “I have a sword with me, so I am not sca…”

         “Janora, he has a sword. Did my sister tell you I am a weapon expert? Should I check the weight of it for him?”

         “He is a wonderful weapon trainer you know. He is very handy with swords.” Janora said looking deeply into the boys soft brown eyes.

         “Well I don’t know…”

         “Is this it right here?” Beiro said as he pulled the short sword out of Bren’s scabbard.

         Bren stood up and turned toward Beiro. “He mister, you shouldn’t…”

         Blackness swept over the boys vision as he crumbled to the ground. Janora stood behind him with a rock in her hand. Beiro dropped the sword and hopped over the boulder. “Quickly get me the rope. We will tie him up and leave him here. By the time anyone hears from him we will be long gone.”

         Janora moved closer to Beiro and planted a kiss on his lips. “I love working with you…brother.” Janora giggled as she said the last part.




         The world slowly came back into vision as Bren peeled his eyes open. His hands were numb and tied tightly behind his back. He turned to look for his sword and a throbbing pain pounded the back of his head.
         
         “Hello there.” A man dropped down from the tree Bren was up against. “Need a hand?”

         The boy was nervous, but the calm tone in the strangers soft voice soothed him. “Yes. Please mister…help me. I got attacked.”
         
         “The names Heian. By the looks of you it must have taken 10 men to get you down.” Heian slicked his grey hair back and bent over to cut the boys ropes off.

         “It was just…five people sir. They got me from behind.” Bren looked up at Heian to see if he bought it, and was happily surprised by the look on his face.

         The ropes fell to the ground and Heian helped Bren to his feet. “DON’T lie to me boy!” Heian grabbed hold of both of Bren’s arms. “I know who did this. Which way did they go?” Bren was on the verge of tears and Heian forcefully shook him. “Which way!”

         “They went n-n-north, to Tilver’s…”

         “Tilver’s Watch.” With one last shake the boy was let go. “Here take this boy.” Heian handed him the short sword.

         Wiping tears from his cheek Bren hesitantly took the sword and began to sheath it. “Thanks mist…”

         “It’s Heian! Don’t put that away.” The anger was growing on his face now. “You will need it.”

         “For what?”

         “In order for this not to happen again I must teach you.” Heian’s voice was calm once again.

         “What do you want me to…”

         “Attack me.” Heian’s hand dropped to the decorative hilt of his rapier. “ATTACK me damn it!”

         Bren sloppily swung his sword at Heian and missed miserably. In a flash Heian drew his thin blade. “Come on boy; let the anger guide your sword.” Bren thrust his sword and was easily parried.

“Again!” In came another attack that was badly telegraphed. Dirt smeared on Bren’s face as tears streamed from his eyes.

“Again!” Another attack, this time Heian parried it and spun bringing his sword up in an arc and slicing Bren’s cheek.

Bren whirled around. The rapier was being thrust right at him. He managed to parry it away. His confidence built as he did it. But then Heian followed it up with three well placed thrusts. Each one finding a home in the boy’s torso. The last one piercing his heart.




Shannon sat down in the large chair at her desk and rested her head back. Knock! Knock! Knock! She ignored the it. She undid the straps on her chest plate and let it slide to the floor. Knock! Knock! Knock! She wanted to ignore them, but had duties her. “I heard you the first time.” Then after a short pause. “Come in.”

         Raer entered the room fidgeting with something in his hands. “Umm, ma’am. I brought you some bandages. Are you ok?”

         Shannon turned her chair around to face the young soldier. With bulging eyes Raer said “Ma’am, you have blood on your face and all over your tunic.”

         “Yes, Raer. A hill giant smashed me with a wagon today.”

         “Yes, ma’am, I heard. Here are you bandages, let me get you some warm water.” Raer said as he exited the room.

         Shannon rested back in her chair closing her eyes for a second. “Hey their hero.” Astolfo said as he walked up to her desk. He walked right around the desk and up to Shannon. “Let me see that.” She grimaced as he twisted her head to get a better view of her injury. “Nah, don’t even need stitches. Guess you will live for now.”

         “Thanks, Astolfo.”

         Raer slipped into the room again with a steaming bucket of water. “Ma’am.”

         “Just place the bucket there soldier.” Astolfo instructed him. Raer looked at Shannon for a second then placed the bucket down.

         “You are dismissed.” Shannon said. He turned to leave the room. “Thank you, Raer.”

         Astolfo followed Raer to the door and closed it behind him. “I would like you permission to take a few men on a patrol, in the local woods.”

         “That is fine.” Shannon said dismissively and she unwrapped some bandages. “Just be back before dark.” She added almost forgetting the new rules in place.
         Astolfo tensed up. “Well actually, ma’am…”

         “What no hero?” Shannon said with a laugh.

         Astolfo laughed and relaxed a bit. “Well actually, hero, I was hoping to take some men on a patrol tonight.”

         Shannon stopped what she was doing and looked up at Astolfo. “You do realize that those rule changes came straight from the Capital right?”

         “Yes, ma’am, but…”

         “And you do realize that I can get in trouble if I don’t strictly enforce them right?”

         “Yes…”

         “So then why are you asking me to break orders?”

         Astolfo walked closer to the desk. “Because I also realize that your men and your country are more important to you than getting another promotion. And because I also realize that you know that sometimes when orders come in from Suzail that they are not always right. And because we both know that the commander on the field has knowledge that the lords back home do not have.” Astolfo had both hands planted on the desk now. “So, hero, that is why I am asking you to allow me to do this.”

         Shannon stood up from her desk, not intimidated by the larger man in the least. “IF I allow this you will follow my rules. You will be out for no more than four hours, and you will take only volunteers.”

         Astolfo backed away from the desk slightly. “That sounds fair to me, ma’am.” He turned and headed for the door.

         “And, Astolfo. There are to be zero injuries. I already have to explain how I got into a fight with a giant.”

         “Yes, ma’am.” And with that Astolfo exited the room.

         

         


Shannon had enough time to get her face cleaned up and change her bloody tunic before she was once again interrupted. “Miss Goldmere?” She heard Raer say through the door.

         Shannon let out a sigh, “Come in, Raer.”

         Raer entered the room, followed by two people. “Ma’am, this is…Beiro and Janora. They are bards set to us from Suzail.”

         “Actually we are sent from Whelhoon.” Beiro corrected.

         “Well, where ever you are from, welcome to Tilver’s Watch. I heard there would be a bard on his way, but they didn’t say two of them. Who is your lady friend?” Shannon said as she stood from her desk.

         “I am Janora. We work together.” She extended her hand.

         “Well the men get bored of playing lance board around here, so a nice change will be good.” Shannon shook Janora’s hand and then Beiro’s. “You both have very strong hands, must come with the trade.”
         
         “Yes, indeed.” Beiro said. “The other bard they were sending got tied up with some family issues. He will not be able to make it.”
         
         “Well that is a shame, but I am sure you too will do just fine.” Shannon said as she looked over both of them, making note of their weapons. “Do you often travel with swords?”

         “Yes of course.” Janora said with a smile. “The world is simply not safe for two lone travelers these days.”

         “I was telling Janora that there have been undead sightings in the region lately, and her father was in the Goblin Wars not long ago. So we prefer to be sage.”

         “Your father. You two were not in service to the crown at the time?”

         “We were in service, just out of the region, thankfully. That is actually where we met. What town was that Beiro?”

         “Athkatla I believe. Well I don’t want to cut this talk short, be it was a long ride to get here.”

         “Of course. Raer, take them over to Main House and get them some food and a guest room.” Shannon said as she took one last look at the two bards.


© Copyright 2009 IrishMike (irishmike357 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1607836-The-Tip-of-the-Spear