*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608886-Apocalypse-City
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1608886
W.I.P. A tale of two brothers against the Zombie Apocalypse.
PROLOGUE


         As I stood there wide eyed and terror written across my face, unable to stop what was happening to Drake, his eyes empty and hopeless, his bloodied features screamed at me to stop the beast that was slowly dragging him into the hell rift, its claws deeply burrowed into the flesh of Drakes calf. Sector 23 raced through my mind and I couldn’t help but wonder . . . how the hell did we get here. Drake’s tormented screams shattered my drift and I came back to the grotesquerie in front of my glazed eyes. “NEVER AGAIN!” I shouted over the madness as a pulsating white light emanated from the core of my damaged being. The light continued to grow becoming more intense with each passing moment until it reached its limit and burst with an intensity that  blinded everything that saw it the force so strong that it felt as if time itself bowed down to its presence forcing me back to the beginning of the end.

         Just as quickly as it started, it seemed to be over. Taggerds hands were quivering as he saw their mothers face, staring with disdain at what the waitress had told her.  Their mother was a lovely woman with long shimmering raven hair and eyes made of azure. The glow that always surrounded her dimmed and her hue darkened to a near putrid red as she rose in anger towards the waitress. Taggerd began to feel as if someone had set napalm ablaze inside him the ferociousness of the pain blurred his vision and everything went white. Suddenly the creature began to lose its grip on Drake’s leg, his wounds glowing incandescently burning at his flesh cauterizing them slowly, the scar tissue forcing the alien claws of beast from Drakes leg, the scar tissue began to fade away, Drake’s scars had never been an issue with
Taggerd around except for the one that trailed across his right eye that Drake forced Taggerd to leave as a reminder of what had happened at Sector 23. Taggerds body was starting to go limp and sway like a tree in the wind the healing light still radiating from him. His vision began to blur and fade rapidly and he felt himself gravitating towards the ground. Drake caught Taggerd just before he blacked out, he saw Drakes face “I got you bro, don’t worry anymore I think it’s over.” Drake said as Taggerd went into complete darkness. Drake dragged Taggerd out of the dark corridors of the damp cave.







CHAPTER

1


         “Alright Zulu . . .” Drake shouted over the roar of the helicopter’s blades slicing through the air. Zulu Team perked up at the sound of Drake’s booming Irish tainted voice and listened to their leader’s commands. “We’re about 2 clicks from the drop zone. Prep your gear, lock and load. Donnie and Josh you’re the first ones out get to the ground fast and secure the drop zone quickly and efficiently remember we are right behind you, so keep your eyes open rookies” Donnie and Josh looked green after comprehending Drakes orders they tried their best to hold it together but Drake could see the terror welling up in their eyes. “Gage you’re staying in the bird, you will be our eyes and aerial support. If the shit down there gets to heavy and it looks like a lost cause you will abort the mission and return to base.” Drake saw relief wash over Gage’s face he hated going down and being up close and personal with those monsters and besides he was better to the team at a distance. He could shoot the head off a fly at 1000 meters, which he swears is true. “Remember guys stay close, these aren’t humans anymore go for body shots only to slow the bastards down, go for the head. If any of them get to close for rifle-fire remember the machete at your side.” Drake looked over his shoulder at the pilot who gave him the signal to jump. Drake grabbed Taggerd by his collar and pulled him close. “You ready for this bro!” he made it a statement. Fire and intensity rose in his eyes “TWO MEN ENTER!” Drake shouted at Taggerd “TWO MEN LEAVE!” Taggerd returned the shout and head butted his brother. “Josh! Donnie! GO! GO! GO!” Drake shouted and pointed out the sides of the helicopter hovering over the drop zone. Donnie and Josh mustered all their courage, hooked their drop ropes to the side of the bird and dropped them over the side, the two men looked at each other and nodded then they were gone sliding down their ropes at a high rate of speed. Josh was the first to land he detached from the rope and brought up his M-4 in one fluid motion placing the head of a distant zombie in his sights, he took a deep breath and slowly released it and pulled the trigger. The zombies head exploded in a spray of crimson, alerting all zombies nearby. Donnie landed moments later, he hit the ground hard and there was a loud snap as his leg broke through his flesh. Donnie let out a scream as he realized his leg was broken. “Taggs get down there and help him.” Taggerd was already on his way down before Drake could finish his sentence. Taggerd hit the ground detached from the rope and was at Donnie’s side in moments. “Don’t let me die!” Donnie was terrified “You’re not going to die Donnie, but this is going to hurt like hell.” Taggerd said as he grabbed Donnie’s leg and straightened it in one motion, Donnie screamed in agony. Taggerd looked around and saw Drake coming down the rope, firing his M1 Carbine one handed at a Zombie that Taggerd hadn’t noticed was getting dangerously close, its head whipped back with such force that its neck broke and it crumpled to the ground. Taggerd turned his attention back to Donnie a white glow began to radiate from his hands as he grabbed Donnie’s leg again. Donnie screamed so loud that Taggerd thought he would lose his hearing. Taggerd could hear the bone mending back together, he had been told by Drake that the healing process hurt more that the breaking process. The glow from Taggerds hands began to dissipate and Donnie stopped screaming. “Donnie you’re good to go.” Taggerd was cut off as Drake pulled Donnie to his feet. “Be more careful next time, and keep your mouth shut about what Taggerd did for you. Now get your head in the game before you become zombie bait!” Drake pushed Donnie on the shoulder the force spun him around and he almost fell back to the ground. A zombie within striking distance lunged forward at Donnie. Before he could bring his M-4 up to fire at it, Taggerds machete was already decapitating the monster. Its head hit the ground and rolled down the hill its body quickly followed. Gage Detached the ropes from the hovering helicopter as it began to circle around the sector.

         Gage Reached behind him and pulled his APR308 Sniper Rifle off of the wall behind him. He reached into the duffle bag under his seat and pulled out his night optic sight and attached it to the rifle and took aim at the Zombie horde that was beginning to surround Zulu team. “Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death” Gage Fired at the Zombies skull and it toppled over.” I will fear no evil: for I am the baddest mother fucker in the land” Gage took aim at another of the horde “My Rifle and my sight, they comfort me.” Gage squeezed the trigger and the bullet entered the Zombies empty eye socket and opened the back of it skull bringing the zombies life with it. He scanned and took sight of another zombie “Thou preparest a table before me of mine enemies.” Gage release a slow breath and squeezed the trigger again this time missing his target the round piercing the molted grey flesh of the zombies throat exiting through the middle of its back. Gage swore he could hear the zombie’s spine shatter as it crumpled to the ground, and began to pull itself towards the rest of Zulu Team. “DAMN IT!” Gage Said before he closed his eyes took a deep breath and returned to the familiar crosshairs on his sights. He placed them atop the Zombies skull again. “I annointest mine enemies head with the red cross; my clip runneth over.” Gage squeezed the trigger and he hit is target this time releasing a mist of black fluid into the air and the ghoul stopped it pursuit of Zulu Team.  "In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti"

          The four members of Zulu Team stood in a circle, with backs to each other. They were the center of chaos. The Zombie horde surrounded them onb all sides. They were heavly outnumbered. For every zombie that a member of Zulu took down it seemed that five more filled its place. The putrid scent of rotting flesh burned at the teams nostrils. The smell worsened as the hord closed in on them and the wind shifted. The moans of the damned filled the air the thunderous booms of the teams rifles doing little to dampen the hordes war crys.

         "There's to many!" Donnie Shouted over the rifle fire. "There's no way we can take them all." Terror was plastered on his face. Drake and Taggerd glanced at the rookie with quizzical intrigue, they've never thought about such a phrase as "to many". The thought made both of the let out a chuckle. Suddenly Taggerd felt the all to familiar rush of energy flow off of Drake. It was like being thrown into a huricane and a furnace at the same time. He knew the feeling all to well, Sector 23 had taught him something of their powerthat only Drake could seem to conquer. Taggerd had attempted to channel and control his laintent ablities to no avail. So far his power was only an unconcious reaction to extreme danger. Drake glanced over his shoulder to Taggerd, and he watched as Drake's eyes begin to change from a shimmering blue to a black void in moments. Drake smirked an evil grin and turned back around. "You've got to be fucking kidding!"
© Copyright 2009 D.E. Russell (drakemonroe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1608886-Apocalypse-City