*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1610285-Morgan-is-discovered-by-the-war-clan
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Fiction · Action/Adventure · #1610285
Excerpt from the novel
"It's a woman, M’lord," Jil yelled to Lord Raven seated on his black stallion. Qwan was sitting behind him on the rear of the saddle. A bewildered crowd tried to gather around in the dense bush but a sneer from Torvall sent most to a respectful distance.

"Is she alive?" called Lord Raven. Torvall had already taken life signs, testing the heat under her arm and putting his cheek close to her nose.

"Alive," confirmed Torvall. Leaning in to scoop her up, he stumbled forward, surprised at the extra weight on her body. She was not fattened, but she appeared to have a thicker mass than most women of her size.

Righting himself, he carried her out, a silver necklace and small medallion dangled from her neck, swaying back and forth with each step. Bearded faces glared but promptly cleared the way as Torvall passed by with the unconscious woman. Torvall carried her to Lord Raven and gave him a chance to view her too, but the lord looked and turned away like he was disgusted.

Raven grimaced and cleared his throat. "What in Lugh's name is she doing here, and where are her clothes? LOOK FOR HER CLOTHES," he yelled to a group in the back.

Raven dismounted, forcing Qwan to quickly jump off the horse's rump before he was knocked off. The boy moved to hide behind a burled oak tree and peeked around to watch. Lord Raven pulled a burgundy dyed, fine woven blanket from his saddlebag and flung it over her body.

"Don't just stand there, mercenary. Set her down while I decide what to do with this wench."

Torvall laid her on the path and the warriors immediately pushed forward to get a good look at the misshapen woman.

"Back up," Torvall barked, glaring around to see who was idiot enough to not respond immediately. The men disbursed back farther and conversed among themselves. Already the news was travelling by word of mouth to the remaining line of troops and the stories would become more exaggerated and unbelievable by the end of the night.

Lord Raven put his hands behind his back and looked down disdainfully on their unexpected parcel.

"What do you make of it?" Raven asked Torvall.

Torvall shook his head, for once completely perplexed. "There are no clothes to be found and no marks of her path to show how she came to be here. She's alive so she hasn't been here for long. Maybe she's been banished and left by the travellers. Who knows. We'll have to ask her when she wakens."

"Why isn't she awake now? Does she have damage to her head?"

"Nothing," Torvall said. "She's without blues or cuts of any kind. Her breathing is strong and she's healthy. She is definitely someone who has access to ample food."

"Ample food? Why would you say that? She's not fattened," Raven said leaning in closer for a better look.

"Choice food.” Torvall explained. “Common women eat a lot of the same kinds of foods and they are either round like dairymaids, or bony thin like fishmonikers. Only a lady would get choices of all foods and her body would fill solidly over her bones--like hers does."

"You think she's a lady?" Raven’s eyes glinted in interest.

Torvall crouched down beside her and pulled the blanket back, reaching for the small medallion on her necklace. Resting it in the palm of his hand, he looked up to Lord Raven, showing the fine quality of the ankh. He then pulled her hand out from under cover and turned her palm up.

"Hands are soft . . . ornate jewellery . . . well fed. I would guess she's a lady."

"What of her hair? Why is it so short?"

"She may be a lady of another land. Mainland, perhaps."

"A lady from the Mainland?" Lord Raven mulled over the possibilities. Torvall stood, a whole head shorter than the lord, and waited with hands on hips, his own questions forming.

Finally, the lord looked up and to the west to gauge the descending sun as best as he could through the dense forest, and sighed.

"We'll make camp early tonight, although I loath to do it. If she doesn't wake by morn, then strap her to a mule."

"Jil, set a tent nearby," Torvall ordered and turned to face the waiting warriors. "COMPANY all stop for night camp."

© Copyright 2009 Almostangela (almostangela at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1610285-Morgan-is-discovered-by-the-war-clan