*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1610553-Outta-Time---Part-III---Arrival
Rated: 13+ · Serial · Sci-fi · #1610553
Accidental Time Travel
Darkness.

Loud, deafening darkness.

The world that was is no longer now that Jim used the Device. The time in which he was being shot at in the underground research laboratory is gone now. All there is now is enormous darkness. He could see nothing but feel every pore of his body as if he were submerged in water.

As the loudness started to dissipate, hazy light started to seep into the void he was in. It now seemed more like he was in a very dense fog. He could start to see shapes in the fog. He wondered if it was supposed to be like this and hoped that the Device did not take any damage.

There was more light now, he noticed more detail in the shapes. He saw what looked like a building and maybe a stagecoach…?

‘Maybe this does work.’ He thought.

He smelled something. It smelled like wood and dust, kind of musty. It reminded him of the cabin in Big Bear. He started thinking that if wife would be so proud of him of this Device actually brought him to 1875, outside Dodge City. That would be amazing!

The fog had lifted and he saw what appeared to be a ghost town. It was definitely a town from the old west, but did he travel in time? Even if he did not travel in time, this Device certainly would do Temporal Displacement as this was definitely not the laboratory he was in just a few minutes ago, or over a hundred years ago…

He stood up and realized that the sun had been beating down on him and he was starting to get very warm. He was starting to sweat. Suddenly he thought of the Device. He looked around again and still, there was no one to be seen. He knelt down and inspected the Device. It appeared to be OK. No scratches and it was still cool with condensation from the liquid nitrogen cooling apparatus that encased the Device.

Once he was convinced that the Device was okay, he stood up again and started looking around. This sure seemed liked Dodge City, circa 1875. But where were the people. He stared walking up the street that was made of dirt. The street was made of dirt, this was true. But it was more like dust. There were deep ruts in the dirt from wagon wheels.

As he walked up the street, toward what seemed like the center of town, he noticed that there were people. They were hiding behind the doors and windows of the shops and businesses. He saw a sign, Front Street. On that corner was The Great Western Hotel. He saw several people, all dressed in the appropriate period clothing and accessories.

Past the Hotel were Railroad Tracks running perpendicular to Front Street.  At the tracks were several people waiting, with guns showing. One of them was a brutish man, about 30.He had a good start on the Handlebar mustache. He was wearing a Sheriff’s badge.

“Slow down there stranger!” The sheriff demanded. “Why don’t you come over hear and stay a spell?”

“Uh…Yeah…Sure…” Jim said, as he walked carefully up to the sheriff.

“Where are you from…?” The sheriff asked, making it obvious that he expected to hear a name.

“Oh... Jim. I am from Los Angeles.”

“Where is that?”

“Um…” Jim realized that they probably don’t know of LA here, yet. “San Francisco!” Jim quickly added.

“Oh! I have been to San Francisco! Names Bat, Bat Masterson.” The sheriff said. “I keep the law in these parts.”

Jim realized the name at once, of course. Bat Masterson rode with Wyatt Earp. ‘This Time Travel thing is wonderful!’

“Jim!” Bat said, trying to get Jim’s attention as he appeared to have drifted off.

“What’s in the bag, Jim?” Bat tone indicated that he was only interested in the bag.

‘The Device!’ Jim‘s Heart sank with terror.

“Just supplies for my trip. Ya know, toiletries and such.” Jim managed to remain calm, but knew that it was apparent he was stalling for time.

“Ya see Jim,” Bat began, “You sure do come at peculiar time. Moments after the loud thunder. Jim, why is that?” Bat stopped. His eye’s widened with fear, as far as Jim could tell.

Jim realized that the Device was entering a cool-down cycle. Spent gas from the power source cooling system escapes from the containment pod, allowing more, fresh, cold air to be injected into it. The Device released a large cloud of ultra-cold gas into the hot, dry desert air. Instantly that air turned into a small cloud maker spewing icy gray mist into the air.

Bat Drew his gun and quickly pointed it straight at Jim’s forehead. “What the blazes is that thing mister?”

“Oh crap!” Jim’s heart sank a little more now.
© Copyright 2009 EvilDawg - Vigilante Ranger!! (evildawg at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1610553-Outta-Time---Part-III---Arrival