*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612379-Lifes-a-Grave
Rated: E · Other · Philosophy · #1612379
A short fable, open to interpretation, I myself have found multiple lessons in it.
Two landscapers are at work in a park; their boss comes up and tells them that whoever digs the deepest hole gets promoted. The boss throws down two shovels and tells them to get to work. One digger, being the ambitious type, grabs his shovel and begins to dig rapidly. The other, perfectly content in the position he’s in, sits down in the shade and enjoys a nice rest. This goes on for 2 hours when finally the ambitious digger looks at his colleague and says “are you going to dig or not?” The other digger says “oh I’ll use my shovel when the times right, trust me.” The ambitious digger believes his colleague has some kind of trick up his sleeve so he begins to dig faster. This goes on for 2 more hours and the ambitious digger has dug about 5 feet down. He looks over at his coworker again and asks “are you going to dig or not?” Once again his colleague says “I’ll use my shovel when the times right, trust me.” And once again the ambitious one begins to dig faster out of fear. This goes on for three hours and the well motivated digger has dug a 9 foot hole and continues digging until he finally collapses. The other digger gets up and sees his friend lying at the bottom of his hole, dead from exhaustion. He grabs his shovel and does the only thing he can do, bury his ambitious colleague. The boss returns and, seeing that there’s only one digger left, gives the promotion to the digger sitting on a mound of dirt with his shovel at his feet.
© Copyright 2009 Scott E. Strange (scottystrange at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612379-Lifes-a-Grave