*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612543-Unforgiving-Introduction
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by r3b3l
Rated: 18+ · Fiction · Fantasy · #1612543
vampire, dark, fantasy
                "Help! Please, somebody help me!"
         I didn't recognize the voice, but the pain lacing it was as familiar to me as breathing. For a moment, I faltered, I had work to do and the welps on my back were still fresh, how much more would they hurt with my next punishment. Still, the screams couldn't be ignored.This was a child and if I could help, I would.
         Gathering my skirts in one hand, I raced across the courtyard. Mud splashed up, ruining the hem of my gown, but it was just a work gown. It would hardly be noticable with the brown color of the material I had made it from. As I neared the treeline, the screams were growing steadily louder. My heart was racing and it occured to me, only then, that I might have needed help.
         It was too late to go back, not without reassuring the poor boy first. As I grew closer, the sound was easily recognizable as a young boy, however high the pitch. Then, it was almost as if he were next to me, but the woods were empty.
         "I'm here to help you!" I cried frantically. "Where are you?"
         I heard his gasping sobs of relief then, "I fell into this cave! I can't get out, I'm not tall enough to reach!"
         I felt myself smile with relief. His reaction was nothing more than childish fear. A small cave was nothing to be afraid of. As a young girl, I had explored more than my share with my brothers. Searching around, I found the opening next to the trunk of a tree. It was all but obscured from view, but I could climb into it easily enough.
         "Step back...keep talking to me and let me know where you are. I'm coming down. I'll lift you up on my shoulders okay?"
         He sniffed. "Okay."
         I was still smiling when my feet touched the dirt floor and I turned around. The white face that peered out of the darkness was eerie, but I brushed my fears aside.
         "Are  you okay?" I held my arms out, much as I had done for my neices and nephews.
         Like I had expected, he raced into them, his breath coming in sharp pants. I stroked his hair, idly wondering how long he had been stuck down here. He burrowed closer and closer, and I fought the urge to push him away. Suddenly, his panic was infectious and I found myself desperate to get away. Then, it felt like my throat had been ripped open and liquid fire had been poured over it.
         My screams echoed around us and I fell backwards, the little boy still latched around my neck. Just before the darkness enveloped me, I saw his face peer over me, his lips painted red with my blood.
         "Will you be my mother?" He asked.
© Copyright 2009 r3b3l (teasha at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612543-Unforgiving-Introduction