*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612586-Chapter-six
Rated: 13+ · Other · Action/Adventure · #1612586
The president gets a second chance.
Remember prompt four? That chance not taken? It's back and this time the characters takes that chance! How does it impact his/her life and how will it lead to the story's climax in this second to last chapter?

The Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff walked out of the briefing room confident that he had done the right thing in ordering the bombing of his own country. He was less confident about the way he had handled things with regards to the president.

A few minutes later, he walked into the Oval Office where the former Commander-in-Chief was seated behind what was once his desk. The ex-president looked up defiantly as the General walked in.

“Mr. President, I have initiated the strike.”

“I know General. I saw your announcement on the television a few minutes ago. Very impressive. I am sure your decisiveness inspires confidence in those that you lead.”

“It’s not a matter of inspiring confidence, Mr. President. It’s a matter of making the best possible decision in the shortest amount of time. We are not choosing the best language for a Middle East Peace Treaty. We are at war with an enemy that is within out borders and about to wipe us out. There was no time for discussion or resolutions or whatever else the political machine thinks it needs. It is a time for action. Action is something I am very good at.

The president was a very popular public figure. He didn’t get that way be pandering to the issue of the day and taking sides based on polls. He got that way by being true to himself. People felt confident in him. They knew he would do what was right, not what was politically popular. One of his traits was that he was well known as one who listened to the expertise of others.

He heard what the general had said and, although he didn’t like it, he could see that the military coup may have very well been the only option available.

“General, I am not happy with the way things have gone. I am not a fan of bombing my own country. However, I have seen the same data you have. I believe that your action may end up being what saves not only the United States, but the entire world. You have my complete support. How can I help you?”

The general was not surprised. He had been appointed to his position on the JCS by the man sitting in front of him. The two of them had known each other for years. If the president said he supported the action, then he meant it.

“Mr. President, in one hour, I will place you back in your position as leader of the county. At that time, I will tender my resignation. In the mean time, you could help by holding a press conference of your own. Go tell the people what is happening and why. They need to hear it from you. They know you and trust you.”

The president had his second chance. He intended to take it.

Five minutes later, he stood in front of the same cameras that were pointed at the general when he announced his plan to bomb Northern California. He realized that what he said now would define his position in history for all eternity. Would he be remembered as the man that nuked his own country or the man that saved the world?

Fingers counted down, three, two, one.

“You’re on Mr. President.”

“My fellow Americans...”

Word count 615
Running count 3,084


© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612586-Chapter-six