*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612799-Nicks-Gifts
by Rookie
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1612799
This is a short Christmas story, about a little boy named Nick
NICK’S GIFTS

By: Phil James


Nick Brown was an average 9 year old kid, full of curiosity and mischief. He lived with his parents, Sarah and Jason and was an only child. Like most boys his age he loved being outdoors, where he and his friends would terrorize their town. They liked to build boys only club houses, throw rocks at girls, have dirt clod wars, and other boyhood past times.

It was late November and his Mom and Dad told him to write down his Christmas wish list. He wrote down a Wii, winter coat, gloves, beanie, blanket, and a big stuffed animal.
When Sarah seen his list, she said “Is that all you want, you usually have a list that’s longer than Santa’s good list?”
He replied “Yeah, I’ll write it down if I think of something else.” His parents were happy to see, that he was starting to mature, and not wanting everything in the toy catalogs.

Nick was a better boy this year, he only broke two windows, just one bad call from the school, threw a water balloon at the mailman, and let the air out of the tire on a cop car. But as with every kid this time of year, he was the best behaved angel he could be, because the old man up North always knows.

Two weeks before Christmas, Nick’s parents went shopping for their son’s unusually short list. Along with everything on his list they also got a Wal-Mart gift card. They also bought some goodies for his stocking, and four coffee mugs with a container of hot cocoa, which was his favorite drink.

Meanwhile, with his parents away shopping, Nick was busy making some presents for his Mom and Dad. This would be his first year of ever giving anything for Christmas. For his Mom, he made a hair clip made from a clothes pin and fake flowers, that he pulled off of the flower arrangement in their living room. He also made some earrings out of ornament hooks and pink buttons that he found on one of her shirts. For his Dad, he made a belt out of a fan belt he found in the garage. He then stapled a thin piece of wood to the belt and used Velcro for adjustment. He was sure they would be pleased with their gifts.

The two week wait was an antsy one for Nick. It wasn’t about what he would be getting, it was more about what he would be giving and the feeling of doing something unselfish and thoughtful.

It was finally Christmas morning, and just like every year before, Nick woke up early. Except for this year, he didn’t tear up the tree trying to get to his gifts. Instead he woke up his parents, and drug them to the tree, where he got their gifts for them to open. His Mom choked on a laugh with a tear or two, and his Dads prideful grin could be seen from a mile away as they unwrapped their treasured gifts. They then watched Nick open his gifts. He received the Wii, winter clothes, big teddy bear, and blanket, everything that his short list stated, along with the Wal-mart gift card, hot cocoa and mugs, and the usual stocking goodies.

After they ate their Christmas brunch, his parents got ready for the annual Christmas party at a friends house. They decided that Nick was mature enough this year, to let him stay home, without a sitter. He knew their cell number if he needed to get a hold of them.

Sarah and Jason got home four hours later, only to find that Nick was watching “A Christmas Story” on TV (you’ll shoot you’re eye out kid) instead of playing his new Wii.
Very confused, Jason asked “did you like everything you got this year, son?”
Nick replied “Yeah I got everything I asked for, but I gave it all to the ones that Christmas forgot.”
Still confused, Sarah pressed on “What do you mean the ones that Christmas forgot?”
“Well” Nick began “I gave my Wii and stocking stuffers to the kids in the group home, because they don’t have anyone to give them anything. The gloves, coat and beanie I gave to the man and woman that have to live under the bridge. The warm blanket that you gave me, I took to this kid at school, because his parents couldn’t afford their gas bill. Uncle Mike lost his job when the factory shut down, so I gave him the Wal-mart gift card. And the little girl across the street, that’s sick with cancer, loved the big teddy bear. I told her that if she ever gets scared, to give him a great big hug.”
“Sweetie” his Mom caringly said, but sounding concerned, “That was really sweet of you to do those things, but you can’t just change everyone’s lives by giving them things. And now all you have is your mugs and hot cocoa for Christmas.”
Nick replied “I know your right, Mom, I didn’t change any lives, but I know I changed their Christmas, and the smiles that I got today, will last a lot longer than the hot cocoa and cups.”
Feeling very proud of their maturing son, Sarah said “That is so true Nicky, I’m so proud to call you our son, and since we’re on the subject, how about I fix some cocoa, while you and your Dad make some popcorn, and we’ll watch some Christmas movies tonight!?”
“I want the blue mug!” he called out as they all raced to the kitchen.

THE END
© Copyright 2009 Rookie (rookie82 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1612799-Nicks-Gifts