*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613173-Storm-Brothers-Into-Darkness
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: · Short Story · Fanfiction · #1613173
An adventure story of the Storm Brothers space marine chapter, staring Captain Skoald.
There is nothing that comes without blood or sweat worth having" was what his father had told him as a child. Skoald remembered the home of his youth; a little cottage on one of many rolling hills overlooking the sea. His home was a farm, together with several others that formed the mainstay of the village There were the forge-smiths, the coopers, and the often gone fishermen, but it was the farmers who had lived there for generations that made the hillock home. In the winter the raiders traveled across the great waters to steal women or livestock, and old grudges grew warm. Fighting was as much a part of life as the harvest, and by his eighth year he had already killed a horse thief. It was shortly before his fifteenth year when the space marines had came to his world, great giants clad in red steel. They offered his people a chance to journey through the stars. He left with three score others from their world for space and begin the greatest challenge of their lives.
Ten years, he'd fought on many worlds against the imperium's greatest enemies; both mortal and daemonic. He was a Captain, and along with Captain Shard he lead the sixth company of the Storm Brothers. Charged with the integration of stranded and lost space marines into the chapter. It was a great duty and challenge, as a marines bond to his chapter is not easily forgotten.
He stared out from the ship's bridge into the cold darkness of space. His frigate-ship, "The Bold Deciever" was bearing toward a cluster system known as the "Andrian Quarrel". It's location was found in an ancient imperial star chart dating back 3,000 yrs. Near the system's center was recorded as an armoury world, a planetary storehouse of wartime munitions. Their database showed no information on the system after that date. Chapter Master Ra concluded that the system had become isolated somehow. This meant there was either an independent human congregation for them to build good repoire with, or it was a dead system that they would plunder. A dead collection of worlds hidden from the imperium provided a suitable base for the chapter where they could terraform into a training and storage repository.
The system appropriately termed "dead", from where he stood the planets appeared to be little more than lifeless rocks. Again his thoughts returned to his youth, when he had sailed with his uncle fishing in the ocean's deep cold water. It had happened that a storm had taken their ship off course some great distance. when it passed they came upon a strip of island unknown to any of the crew. As they stepped upon the beach every man was stricken with a dark feeling of dread knowing that the island's inhabitants had befell to a grim fate. That same dire sensation circled his thoughts cuasing him to grit his teeth in defiance. "My lord" spoke up one of the bridge's crew, "we are nearing the closest of the planet and will be in range within two hours". Skoald turned away from the despondent view, "We'll waste no time then, helmsman make way for planetfall!"
The closest of the planet's was the colour of ruddy basalt, mottled with spots of a sickly green. The details of the planet's surface became clearer as his thunderhawk and troop ship escort desended, breaking through the atmosphere. The surfac was nearly flat being broken only by steep mesas and great fissures. Stepping down from the ramp, the dry hard-packed earth cracked beneath his armoured boots. Behind him the two masses of astartes exited the dropship, the 3rd integration squad in they're various chapter marked armour and his trusted command squad. Razal platoon of the serf corp militia exited the troop ships and began to form a defensive ring around the idle vehicles, setting up autocannons and flakboard barriers. Veteran Sgt. Meike approached Skoald, "Sir the perimeter has been set up, where do we proceed from here". "Prepare the bikes. The bridge reported they found an energy signature in this vicinity, that is our best indicator here of habitation on the planet.
© Copyright 2009 Roger Barzahd (devilkin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613173-Storm-Brothers-Into-Darkness