*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613528-The-Madman-and-the-Kraken
by Spinzy
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1613528
A short story about well... a madman and a kraken.
Stuart did his best to look unimpressed. Considering that 25 tons of Poseidon minion had just erupted through the surface only a few feet away from his tiny boat, he did quite well: he screamed and fainted.
The spray of fish, water and seaweed that was hurled at the boat when the monster roared was enough to fill it up. It sunk.
    The cold salt water he was drowning in woke Stuart up. He panicked, naturally, and swallowed enough water to last him a week or more. Luckily for him, the kraken wasn't finished. One swipe of a mighty green thing, probably a tentacle, took him 10 feet above the water, where he drew in one single breath and coughed out a small fish before plunging back into the ocean.
    He cursed mentally at how wet the water was before starting to drown again.
    This went on for quite a while; slap, gasp, splash, gulp.
Suddenly there was no slap, and he just continued to drown until he realized his new friend didn't want to play anymore. That's when he started swimming. He aimed, vaguely, at the light. He reached the surface in a painful way. He smashed his skull against his boat. He managed to climb aboard, somehow. The boat was full of fish, Kraken spittle; he also found a skull with an eye patch over it and a M16 A3 with no bullets.
    He had just started wondering where the monster had gone when, for the second time on that fateful day, the ocean exploded. The great creature rose 70 feet out of it's natural habitat. Stuart had no time to warn it about catching a cold, the wall of green-brown flesh collapsed, taking him, the boat, the skull and the gun for a bumpy ride to the inner depths of the kraken's body.
    He lay on the soft, sticky surface of the creature's belly for a few minutes before realising that the "walls" were glowing red. He decided it wasn't important, he was just glad he could see. What he wasn't glad of was what he could see. He approached the first body, noticing that it wore a bracelet. On the bracelet was embossed a name: Jonah.
Stuart wondered how he would survive if even people used to this kind of thing didn't manage. He found his boat and a few other larger vessels (three masts, huge, surrounded by corpses in blue army coats). He picked up a rusty saber and set out towards the dark cave in front of him. He must have tickled the beast, for the whole thing shuddered. Ships flew, muskets went off, Stuart took off and lost consciousness. When it all settle down, he was lying in his boat, at the surface of the water, drenched and a rusty saber in hand.
    Nobody believed him when he said he had met Jonah, a pirate, an army and been spit out by a Kraken. He was declared mad and shut away in a cell with no view on the sea.
© Copyright 2009 Spinzy (spinzy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613528-The-Madman-and-the-Kraken