*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613643-Um-I-cant-think-of-a-title-yet
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by jessp
Rated: · Novel · Comedy · #1613643
A random funny story about me and my friend Sam
Story

"Welcome, young one." I searched for the one who spoke and saw nothing but darkness. "We have yet to meet but I wish you to know. A storm is coming, dear one. The world will never be the same nor has it ever been. Darkness will come and evil will rule. It will come to pass whether you will it or not. You are one of the few with the strength to stop it. Remember;

The darkest night can always give way to the brightest morning,
The blackest shade is present in all colours regardless of their lightness,
No one person is worthless; we all have a value in this world.
Never let anyone take away your hope; it is the one thing that stands between us and total destruction.
For you are the light in the darkness, lead me to my fate.



Chapter 1

"Are you ready?"
Sam and I stood on the highest buidling in the school. Children flitted around like butterflies down below.
"Ahh, but Sam! Is it not such a beautiful day that these delightful younger students deserve a ..." I trailed off, searching for the right word.
" ... soaking?" she suggested
"Exactly."

"NOW!" I shouted as soon as a teacher strolled into view. Seconds later the world below was showered in muti-coloured bubbles of water. Then the screaming started. Everyone dived undercover as we bombarded them with even more water balloons filled with dye. The last few students who were unfortunate enough to be covered in dye cowered underneath us and raised their hands in surrender.

"Victory!" We howled together.
"Jolly good show!" Sam said in an amazingly crappy english accent.
"Indeed!" I replied in an equally disgraceful one. We collapsed into laughing hysterics. "Oh I can't wait to see the the look on Mrs Cantley's face when she finds out!"
"Yeah! It'll probably be ages 'til she find out who did it though. Meanwhile we get our sorry butts out of here!"
"Oh, Miss Beever, I don't think you'll have to wait that long," said an ice cold voice as a dark shadow loomed over our smirking faces.

Chapter 2

Sam and I sat in the principal's waiting room. Waiting. I stared at the face I knew so well. Sam had natural red hair and more freckles than you'd care to count. Her eyes were the most amazingly gorgeous shade of light blue and I, like many girls at my school, envied her for those eyes.

She glanced back at me, "Take a picture. It'll last longer." I could see amusement reflected in her smile.
"I can't believe Andy though! You just wait until I get my hands on that snitch."
"I want to be around to see that. I think he would merely cower in our glory while we flatten him."
"Maybe, but I dunno if we'll last that long."
"What makes you say that?"
I smiled at her,"Well what do you think our chances are of getting out of here alive after we lavishly decorated the courts and several of our teachers and class mates at the same time? Less than zero would be my guess."
"I s'pose you're right," Sam replied glumly.
The receptionist looked over the top of her magazine,"She'll see you now."

I felt like a condemned person being led to my fate. "Fate..."
"For you are the light in the darkness, lead me to my fate," I accidentally blurted out loud.
"What?!" Sam stared at me as if I was going mad.
"Wha...? Oh, nothing."
"I hope we don't get into too much trouble."
"Samantha Rachel Beever. Are you kidding me?! How can we not get in too much trouble? Ever scince Mr Wratt left, this place has turned into a prison. There is no way in hell that we are going to get a fair hearing."

"So, ladies you thought that it would be funny to fill up a bunch of water balloons with dye and throw them at my staff, did you?!" Mrs Cantley's voice was so cold I could have sworn that the temperature had just dropped ten degrees.

I exchanged an exasperated look with Sam. "Pretty hilarious actually," I replied, matching the temperature of my voice to hers.
"I would even go so far as to say burlesque," Sam chimed in.
"HA!" I thought,"She wont even know what burlesque means!"
Sam and I glanced at each other, finding it almost unbearable to resist the urge the laugh.

"So ladies, think you're funny do you? Well we'll find out who's laughing when I send you to Braxtons.
"Braxtons!" I shouted, unable to hide my disgust, "You couldn't possibly!"
Sam had a very angry expresion on her face and seemed to be fighting the need to punch Mrs Cantley in the face.
"Yes darlings, Braxtons. Gather your things. You start on Monday."

Chapter 3

"You don't think she set us up, do you Jess?" Sam asked me as we walked sulkily towards the entrance to Braxtons, the fanciest prep school in all of Auckland.
"Nah! This is sweet Mrs Cantley we're talking about! She would never!" I replied sarcastically, "Anyway, What would she gain for sending us here?"
"Nothing. But I'll tell you what she lost. A pair of utterly gorgeous, bright and friendly students."
"You're telling me!"

"Hey blondie! Wanna go out? I got something special planned for us tonight!
"Keep on dreaming, ugly, keep on dreaming," I retorted angrily as I replied with a rather rude hand gesture. Ugly's mates began howling with laughter. His face started turning red with embarassment.
"What about you, baby?"
"Sorry, but there is no way on Earth that I would go out with the likes of you!" Sam said back tartly.

"Damn! Why do we have to wear these horrible skirts?!" I asked Sam.
"I dunno, but I think I'm starting to like this place," She replied, staring at group of hot boys as we strode up to them.
"Me too, and I definately like what I see," I answered, folowing her gaze.
"Come on!"

"Hi!" I said shyly as we walked over to them, completely shocking Sam, who almost tripped over as we padded into hot-guy-land.
"Hey," replied one of the younger ones, licking his lips and throwing a dazzling smile at me, "My name's Jake. What your's?"
I felt like singing 'halelujah' as he stepped closer. I started blushing and giggling along with Sam as she stared at another boy that had obviously taken an interest in her.
"My name's jess," I murmured as he stepped even closer," And, this is Sam."

I stared down at my feet. Unsure of what to do or say. Jake stroked my long, golden hair tentatively, and then a bit more strongly as he realised I didn't mind.
"So Jess," said Sam, clearing her throat loudly,"Why exactly did, you drag me over here?"

"Oh, um... where would we find D3?" I asked, as my face grew hot with embarassment.
"Go straight ahead, then take a left at your first chance," replied Jake, examining my deep blue eyes, then without moving his gaze from me for a second, he said," See you around, Jess."
"Bye," I said breathlessly.

Chapter 4

"Now Miss Beever and Miss Petersen, I know you are new here, but surely at most schools in Auckland you are expected to..." I opted out of the teacher's boring lecture about how we are expected to behave when we arrive at high school.

My mind was still on Jake. His gorgeous golden eyes that caressed me with every glance. His just-above-sholder-length brown hair that was amazingly scruffy and adorable at the same time. His voice that sounded like a tui's song and his face looked like it was carved by angels. I just couldn't stop thinking about him.

"Miss Petersen! I expect you to pay strict attention when I am speaking and not to let your mind wander beyond this difficult mathematics I am attempting to hammer into your skull!"
Once again I shared an exasperated glance with Sam. "Yes miss, I will drink in your every word and I will try my absolute hardest to find the correct answer to every problem you may fire at my unfortunate self."

Luckily the teacher didn't notice the sarcasim in my voice, however, the other kids did. They started cracking up laughing and several of the boys cast loving and approving looks at me. Several, I noticed, were staring at Sam and her gorgeous eyes.

"Right class, that's enough. Miss Petersen, seeing as you're new here I would like you to try this problem I have written on the board:"

Simplify
c+c+c+z+z+a+b=L+L

I stared at the question and then wrote:

c3+z2+a+b=L2

"Why, that's absolutely correct! Well done Jessica!"
I cast an I'm-not-a-baby sort of glance at Sam. She replied with a wink."Later!" She mouthed.

Chapter 5

"How was your drama lesson, Jess?"
I sighed. " Well it wasn't what you'd call magical. I got a detention."
"What?! You never get detentions."
"You weren't there to hear the way he was going on! My teacher kept on saying that I would be a perfect Juliet for Braxton's school Winter play. Remember that kid that was a bit older than us from before? The one that asked us out?"
"Yeah..."

"Well his name is Brandon. And guess what?! He has been chosen to play Romeo! He was going on about how beautiful I am, how much he was looking forward to the kissing scene and that he couldn't wait for the chance to get to know me better and spend time with me.
So I told him he could grab that idea and shove it up his..."
"What do you have to do for your detention?" Sam interrupted before I could continue.

"I was getting to that. I have now been forced to join the drama team for this year's Winter play as Juliet. And it gets worse. Brandon keeps on hinting that he has something special planned for the audience. Something concerning Romeo and Juliet. I can't help thinking that he will force me into something completely inappropriate that I don't want to do on stage."

"Oh, thats rough."
"The only good thing is that I can see Jake more often. He's on the drama team too and he thinks I am a divine actress!"
"Ohhhhh! You are so in love Jess!"
"No I'm not!"
"Oh yes you are. You just don't want to admit it."
I thought about it. Maybe I was. Maybe I wasn't. But, there's one thing I knew for sure.
"We have to get rid of Brandon."

"Jess! You can't just get rid of someone! You need a perfectly created plan and the means to carry it out."
"I wasn't expecting to do it alone."
"Ahhh, you are a crafty one. My speciality."
"So, full steam ahead?" I said as I put my hand out.
"Agreed." We shook hands. A promise never to be broken.

Chapter 6

While bright lights flashed persistently round me, I stood on centre stage.
"O, swear not by the moon, th’ inconstant moon,
That monthly changes in her circled orb,
Lest that thy love prove likewise variable."

What the...?! I had no idea whatsoever what it meant but it sounded horribly soppy nonetheless. Sam sat on one of the hard, plastic seats in front of me and tried not to laugh as Brandon gave his heartfelt reply.

"Oh great Starclan! Why me?!"
"Hey Jess! Need a kiss? You look a bit upset.''
"Piss off, Brandon."
"Make me."
"Are you sure you want me to?"
"Yup," he stepped forwards and planted his lips on mine.

Slammed him against the wall. "I am sick of you, Brandon! Go to 'Place of No Stars' for all I care! Just stay the hell away from me!" The drama teacher glared, but made no move to stop me as I stormed out of the room. Sam followed suite.

"Jess! Calm down!"
"No Samantha! I wont! You heard him! I refuse to put up with anything like that! Especially when some boy I hardly know starts kissing me in front of the whole drama team!"
Sam suddenly stepped in front of me and stared right into my eyes, barring my way through. "Jessica Elizabeth Petersen! Calm down right now!"

As I glared at her I found it strangely difficult to disagree.
"That is so weird!"
"What is?!"
"The way you made me calm down. I stared into your eyes and I just couldn't disagree with you, no matter how hard I tried."
"Great Starclan! That happened to me in my science lesson too. I told some guy to get lost because he annoying me and then he just left the classroom. I dunno where he is now but he mumbled something about 'Alaska' as he departed."

"Woah! Sam, are you sure?"
"Positive."
"Maybe we'll be able to figure it out later, but right now I need to get to the dorm."
"What's the hurry?"
"A member of the drama team pressed a note into my hand as I rushed out. I don't think it's safe to read it with so many eyes about."

I read the note. "It's from Jake! He wants to meet me under the grandstand near the running track at midnight tomorrow. Hey! He wants me to bring you too! Apparently his friend Justin was keen to see you again after yesterday's meeting. I wonder Sam, do you believe in love at first sight?!" I had to wind her up; it was too good an oppurtunity to miss.
"Jess! You know damn well I'm not in love - unlike you!''
Now it was my turn to be annoyed. "Now you just wait ...!"

I was interrupted by a knock on the door. "We will finish this later!" I opened the entrance.
"Hey baby, do my ears decieve me, or did I just hear that you are in love!? Brandon blew a kiss at me while I trembled with rage. "It's all right, darling. I understand how you feel about me. I feel the same way," he continued.
"If we feel the same way about each other, you better start running, because when I catch up I am going to claw your ear off!" I retorted.

Brandon ignored my heated comment."The principal, Mr Avolure would like to see you. Both of you. Oh and Jess, I look forward to kissing you again." I fumed silently and fired curses at him in my mind."Get lost, Brandon, I'm not in the mood."

Chapter 7

This was the second time I had been sent to the principal's office in less than a week. I was feeling pretty low.
"We are in some deep poo."
"Well, I'm not. But promise I'll send what's left of you home so you can have a proper funeral."
"Not funny, Sam."
"Sorry, I couldn't help it."

I sighed. "As long as this Mr Avolure is somewhat fair I will be happy - well as happy as you can be when you know you are going to be murdered."
"Look on the bright side! At least..."
"There is no bright side."
"Fine then. Be like that."
"I wont back down. I will tell him exactly what happened and I will not let him tell me what not to do!"
"But..."
"And that's final!"

"So I understand Miss Petersen, that you have only just been transferred from Opaheke school to Braxtons. Well, with your past report and pranks you have played I definately do not want to become your enemy. The last incident I swear brought tears of laughter to my eyes." I looked around at Sam and saw the same shocked expression on her face as I had on my own.

He continued,"I know that my school needs something spectacular. Something gorgeous and something no-one has seen before. That something is you girls. I need you to brighten up this place and make it exciting again. It needs to become somewhere young adults can go and enjoy their life. Miss Beever, I understand that you have become aware of a strange phenomena that concerns your eyes."

"Yes sir! What does it mean?!"

"Samantha, you may not be aware but our school was created for one purpose. To teach those who are abnormal or more appropriately - supernatural."
"What?!" Sam and I gasped together.
"Yes, you heard me right, this is a school that teaches those with special abilities. Your ability has merely been awakened. I would assume Jess, that your ability will awaken very soon, due to the magical tensions running high around this school."

"Samantha, you may go. You will find your new timetable beside your bed. Jessica, please stay for a few more minutes."
I blinked at the principal with new found respect in my eyes."Of course sir."

"I wish you to know that when you accept your ability there can be no going back. Young one, I urge you to make your descision with utmost thought and do not take it lightly. Remember, one's destiny is not always what you wish it to be. Samantha's ability is almost certainly hereditary, whereas your own, I could not say. It is not my place to tell you more, but you will learn as you endure all that is sent at you. And finally, always trust your heart, young one, always trust your heart."

Chapter 8

"Jess, are you sure about this?"
"Yes! Aren't you?"
"No."
"Why not?"
Sam and I sat on the stairs leading up to the entrance to Braxtons, prep school of the century."We will get in such trouble."
"Great Starclan, Sam, you're even starting to sound like them."
She didn't need to ask who I meant by them. It was pretty obvious.

"No I'm not! Besides that's not the point. Sabotaging a play is not something you'd get thanked for - it's more like something you'd get hung for."
"I know but the risk is what makes it interesting. You of all people should know that!"

"Okay Jess, but if we get in trouble..."
"Then I will take all the blame," I interrupted before she could continue. "It may not be full insurance but it's the best I can do. It's going to be pretty rough if we get caught but I am fully confident we will pull through, providing of course you can withstand everything they fire at you. I have had plenty of practice, myself, it's just mind over matter and stick to your story, whatever happens."

"Fine, but..."
"No more buts! We've had this conversation a hundred times and how many of those have we got caught?"
"Once," she answered reluctantly.
"Exactly. So, what's your verdict?"
"Innocent, until proven guilty. You didn't think I would let you do this alone would you?!"
"No. That's why I didn't have to try very hard to convince you to help me."

"Oh damn! Why can't he just... um... go away?!"
"Hey baby, I see you're practicing your lines. How about we go inside and practice a bit more? I'm not sure if i've nailed the snogging yet."
Brandon was obviously feeling confident. Sam was cracking up laughing next to me.
"How about... NO!"
"Oh come on honey, I know you need loving as much as I do."
"Again... NO!"
"Why don't we just..."
"Brandon! How many times do i have to tell you?! N-O! No!

"C'mon Jess, if we don't go now we'll be late."
"Oh too true, Sam!" My annoyance disappeared the moment I looked into her eyes. "And Brandon..."
"Yeah."
"Stay away from me. We can practice later."

Chapter 9

"Hey Jess."
"What's up?"
'' I was thinking..."
"Spit it out!"
"Since Brandon really likes you..."
"Understatement of the century award goes to, Samantha Beever!"
"Anyway, I was thinking that since he is in love with you, we could use it to our advantage."
"Wait... you think I should try and make him even more in love with me?! Nah uh! Nooo way! You know what happened last time we tried that!"

Sam and I were both remembering David. Dave had fallen in love with me earlier that year. I forced him away but he just kept holding on. In the end he became so depressed that he was sent to a foster home. We never saw him again.

"But this is different!" Argued Sam.
"Different? How?!" I challenged her fiercely, she recoiled.
"Look, Jess, this isn't going to go anywhere if you don't play your part. I know it must be hard for you, but we have to do it! It's our only way out of here and back to Opaheke."
"I don't know if I want to go back," I whispered darkly, but I had to admit, she definately had a point. "Mrs Cantley was pretty angry when we left so I'm not sure that she'll be welcoming us."

"Look at the bright side! We get to have a nice break at a fancy English prep school. What's not to like?"
"The fancy bit, the prep bit and the English bit don't sound all that wonderful to me."
"Fine, but I am going to enjoy while I can Jessica, and I expect you to do the same."
"Alright,"I agreed reluctantly. "But if your pathetic 'plan' requires me to do anything more than kiss Brandon I-am-the-awesomest-in-the-world I am out of here. Deal?"
"Deal."
"Okay. Whats the plan?" Sam leant over and whispered urgently in my ear.
© Copyright 2009 jessp (jessp at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613643-Um-I-cant-think-of-a-title-yet