*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613766-The-Dying-of-Light
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Prose · Personal · #1613766
Candles burn out one by one.
I remembered a time when there were a hundred candles on my birthday cake. I remembered a time when boxes of beautifully wrapped presents colored the brightness of the day. I remembered when laughter was a friend and grief seemed so far away. I remembered warmth so gentle that kissed my pain goodbye. I remembered the days that had gone by.

The candles on my birthday cake flickered and died. Another year, another candle burnt out. The colors on my beautifully wrapped presents faded little by little. Even laughter seemed so fickle.

I grieved the dying of my candles. I feared the coming darkness and the loss of warmth. Then my pain would be real and despair would be the only one I could feel.

Another candle died. Only one sparked with fire. But it would yield to the test of time.
Darkness crept in and I shivered. The last candle failed.

I wept as I grieved the dying of light. All my dreams were swept away, clearing the path to the choice that was made for me.

Trailing pieces of my broken heart, I began treading the road to reality.

© Copyright 2009 Gabrielle Marle (charma13 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1613766-The-Dying-of-Light