*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614255-Better-Than-A-Brother
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by K Shea
Rated: E · Assignment · Family · #1614255
English assignment. The name has been changed and things concealled for identity purposes.
I walked up to my parent’s bathroom looking for my brush. I noticed something small sitting on the counter. Me, being the curious little kid that I was, I had to know what that something was. As soon as I got close to it, I knew what it was- a pregnancy test. It was marked with two lines. “What does this mean?” I thought to myself. Frantically, I started looking for a box, papers, or anything that told me what two lines meant. I heard somebody making their way up the stairs. I crept out still not knowing what two lines meant.

A few weeks later, my parents called me and my younger sister Jamie, to the family room. My mom sat a white box on the table. I was confused. Why was she giving us a present? She let us open it and inside was a little stocking, a folded note and two pieces of candy. Jamie, who was only six at the time, asked if the stocking was for our dog. My parents laughed and told me to read the note. I unfolded it and read aloud: “Please hang this stocking for me. I can’t wait to meet my new big sisters! Here’s a treat for each of you. Have a Merry Christmas. I love you both. Love, Your new baby brother or sister.” I looked up in shock. I was going to be a big sister again!

Was it a boy? What would his name be? Would he look just like my dad? I sat in the waiting room pondering all of this. In a few minutes I would find out if I was getting the baby brother I wanted. A friendly looking nurse stepped out and called our name. We walked down the hall to a small room. I sat in a chair in the corner. I looked at the fuzzy black and white screen that showed the baby, still wondering if it was a boy. After what seemed like hours, the doctor smiled. “It’s a girl!” My stomach sank. The room was quiet enough to hear a pin drop. My mom had a huge grin on her face though. She had wanted a third daughter. I left the office dead silent. What happened to the brother I wanted?

More months passed. I had gotten used to the fact that I was going to have another little sister. The spare room had been painted soft pink and light green. Impossibly small shoes and pink ruffles filled the closet. A crib moved in and a rocking chair was placed in the corner. I was excited to tell people I was going to be a big sister again. It was March, my new little sister was almost here. A few more weeks and my life would change. I was ready for a new sister to play with, a new friend to laugh with.

I was at my grandparent’s house when the baby came. My dad had called telling us to come to the hospital to see her. I hurriedly got into the car and couldn’t wait to see the newest addition to our family. We quickly walked into the hospital, heading directly for my mom’s room. I opened the door louder than necessary, staring around looking for the baby. She was in the NICU and wouldn’t be here for awhile. I waited beside a fidgeting Jamie. Finally, I could see the baby. A nurse quietly opened the door and pushed in a cart carrying a small baby engulfed in blankets. My dad picked her up and placed the tiny bundle into my outstretched arms.

I stared at her small, perfectly almond shaped eyes. Her light brown hair sat messily atop her head. She wrapped a tiny fist around my finger. Her light weight of only seven pounds and eight ounces felt like a feather in my lap. Kasey **** ****** , (named after my two grandmothers) was finally here. I took another good look at her. Did she look like my dad like I thought she would? No, an extra special tiny replica of me rested in my arms.

It’s now been three years since Kasey was born. I’m happy to have another sister to spend time with. I now know that I would rather have extra Barbies thrown around then having a rough, football playing boy in the house. She makes every moment of my life something to remember and I couldn’t have asked for a better sister.
© Copyright 2009 K Shea (shockey_24 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614255-Better-Than-A-Brother