*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614301-Gentleman-Jim
by CarolK
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1614301
companionship
Sue named him Jim - the elegant figure who strolled into her house - Gentleman Jim.

It happened one afternoon in late August. He walked straight in and made himself comfortable on the couch. She approached him and he looked at her with piercing, green eyes, and a hypnotic stare.

'Who are you?' she asked, but he didn't answer.

Sue was an artist, working from home. She didn't see many people and looked forward to Jim's visits. She chatted to him, but he never answered. Arrogantly sat with closed eyelids. She wasn't intending to share her life. She wanted no ties. Living alone had it's advantages, but although he had not actually moved in, she missed him when he wasn't there.

He should be here soon, she thought as she left the canvas to make lunch. She prepared Jim's food, and put it on the counter ready for him.

He never appeared.

Disappointment enveloped her, and she made an enormous effort to continue her painting. She couldn't concentrate. Her eyes kept drifting towards the window, but no sign of him. Where was he? This is why she'd wanted no ties!

A few days later Sue heard a soft cry out the back. Opening the door, she came across a bedraggled and bloodied creature, scratches in his ears and patches of coat missing, not elegant like her Jim. Suddenly,it occurred to her, maybe Jim had been fighting and had lost to this fellow in the back. Surely not. He's a gentleman.

She brought the creature in and cleaned him up. The scratches were not fatal and the fur would grow back. Sue tended the new guest, and watched his familiar fur grow. He stayed, and she named him Jim.

Gentleman Jim had come home.


292 words




© Copyright 2009 CarolK (cuddlycaz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614301-Gentleman-Jim