*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614934-Two-Boys-and-a-Dog
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1614934
A story about the peace and love that the Holiday season brings us
Two Boys and a Dog
Cole rush

It was Christmas of 2000. Cole Rush woke up to his dog Bobbi barking. Santa had probably brought her a bag of treats or a bone, maybe both.
“Morning Bobbi.” He groaned, even though she was a floor below and couldn’t hear him. He and Bobbi were best friends; they had been together for about 2 years now. She had grown from a little chocolate lab puppy to a beautiful dog with a shimmering coat.
Cole ran downstairs to explore the pile of presents awaiting him under the tree. He opened the first- some sort of tuning device. The second- a chord book. And the third was the biggest, he
knew what was coming. The sound of paper tearing filled the room, and Bobbi jumped in to help him open the gift. She loved wrapping paper. Sure enough, he found beneath the layers of wrap a
Ukulele.
“Wow, you guys rock ” he said to his parents, and he
meant it.
“Haha, we know.” They replied in unison. The rest of Christmas day continued like all the others before it. The family went to the movies, ate leftovers, and listened to Christmas music.
The next day, his father, mother, and sister invited him to go out shopping with all his money received from relatives.
“No thanks.” He said, “Bobbi and I will go for a walk in the snow.” He always liked to wait awhile before spending fresh money anyway.
“Whatever, you’re loss.” Retorted his father.
“Losing isn’t always so bad, then. Goodbye, I love you guys ” Bobbi barked after the door slammed.
The years passed quickly, and Cole learned to play the ukulele better than anyone he had ever seen. He played throughout his college years and even after he graduated.
At age 20, Cole’s Grandma passed away. At the funeral, he played a beautiful song and sang a high, sweet melody to remember her by. He decided never to play again.
It was December, 2010. Cole was now 25, living in a New York penthouse apartment with Bobbi. He had dreams every night about his grandma, and he wanted more than anything to stop grieving.
He stood at his window and looked down at all the kids playing with the snow in central park. “It’s time for some sleep, Bobbi.”The second his head hit the pillow, his phone began
vibrating on the nightstand. It was a really ugly sound, so he was eager to answer and make the noise cease.
“COLE RUSH HOW’S IT GOIN’? ” It was his good friend and colleague, Cameron Petit. Cam was a classmate of Cole’s back in high school, and he had been the most helpful after his grandma passed. They had grown up to be the closest of comrades, and they co-owned a very successful business.
“I’m alright. Just remembering the old uke days. Why don’t you stroll
on over here?”
“Ha I knew you’d say that, so I took the liberty of calling a cab, and I’m already here ” Cam had a way with knowing when he was needed. Seconds later, Cole and Cam were having a
conversation about the old days, and all the adventures they had, and
how stupid they were. They had a great conversation that lasted till one in the morning, so Cole invited Cam to stay the night in one of his three guest rooms.
“Just like the old manovers?” Cam asked
“Yeah dawg ” It felt weird to Cole talking like he did when he was a teenager, but he and Cam always did this. They both woke up around nine o’clock and slouched into the kitchen for breakfast with Bobbi trotting along behind. The eggs and toast tasted great after their long sleep, and the smell filled the entire apartment.
They walked over to the picture window overlooking central park and stiffened.
“What’s going on?” Cam questioned as he turned to Cole.
“Search me.” Cole replied with a confused look. The city was different. Everything was black and white. No lights were on, and nobody was outside. The most shocking detail, however, was not part of the actual city. The snow had grown bored with falling. It was frozen in midair.
They walked down the ten flights of stairs to ground
level, because all electricity was failing, including the elevator. The frigid air did not rush into the building after they opened the door like one would have expected. Instead everything was still. Nothing was moving, not a sound could be heard. Every step they took was cautious, they had no idea what to expect. Every time they touched a snowflake, it would curve around them and then return to its original spot, immobile as ever.
“Really, this is not right.” Cam said.
“Nice one, Captain Obvious. How long did it take you to think of that?” Cole’s fuse always shortened when he was stressed or afraid. Bobbi let out a little yelp and continued licking
snowflakes out of the sky. “That’s right, Bobbi, you show those snowflakes who’s boss ”
A deafening whirring noise filled the air. The three looked around for the source until their gaze settled on the sun. It was spinning rapidly, and gaining speed with every second.A boom tore through the air. Cole, Cam, and Bobbi were encased in an orb of light, and they heard a voice.
“Ha ha ha, I knew it was only a matter of time till I’d be seeing you guys ” It was a deep roar of a voice, but it had just enough jolly concealed within its depths to keep them interested. “All the spirit has left the world, especially around this most exciting time of year.”
“Who is this?” Cam interrogated. It seemed rude, but he didn’t know what else to say.
“Oh, boy are you brave, Cam. I’m the one who gives to all, but is forgotten all too soon. People lose their interest in receiving guidance, but you three are the divine exception.”
“So you need to use us to do something, right? Something that is out of your control? That’s what all the stories I read are about.” Cole had been waiting for a fantastic adventure all his life, and this may be it.
“Yes and no.” Said the voice. “You won’t be searching for some lost sword or relic, but I need the good restored in the world. Your lost passion will restore the peace. I know you two can bring back humanity. And you know what will do it. It may be something you’ve given up on, but it’s been in you all along. The bitterness and arguing outweigh everything that brings us together. I know you guys can do it, and I wish you the best of luck. All I can promise for reward is satisfaction. You three know the world can’t stay like this. The second you fix it, the color will return to normal, and all will be well.”
The light receded while Cole and Cam fell to their knees. They knew exactly what he meant. It dawned on them the second he mentioned their lost passion.
“We haven’t stretched our pipes in a long time.” Cole stated as he looked over to his friend. “And I really don’t want to. That part of my life ended five years ago.”
“I don’t want to either, but it looks like there’s no other way. I mean, it’s pretty obvious what that dude meant. What do you think, Bobbi?” Cam said jokingly. “Bark. Woof. Grrrr.” Somehow they both knew that she actually had something to say.
“I’m not completely sure, Bobbi, but I think that was the very person who gave me the gift in the first place.” Cole said as he scratched behind her ears.
“Well what should we do?” Cam asked. “Our options are limited.”
“Yeah, limited to one. Looks like we’ll be singing, and I know just the place to do it.” Cole ran to his apartment and grabbed his Ukulele. Dust fell off the case with every step he took. “Follow me.” Bobbi and Cam exchanged skeptical looks but did what their friend asked.
Within fifteen minutes, they arrived at Rockefeller Center. “Here we go ” Cole shouted. “No place better ”
“I don’t understand.” Cam said. “Why are we here?”
“There is no better way to spread joy, my friend, than with CHRISTMAS ” Bobbi barked and woofed in gleeful reply. She shared Cole’s love of the Holiday season as well.
“I guess I’ll just have to trust you on this one.”
“That you will, Cameron, that you will.” He began to strum and fingerstyle on his uke. “Like riding a bike.” He whispered to himself.
Cam’s look of realization was a sight to behold. He never expected Cole to break out an old Varsity Choir classic.
He began to sing along with his friend:
“Angels we have heard on high,
Sweetly singing o’er the plains.
And the mountains in reply,
Echoing their joyous strains.
Gloria in excelsis deo
Gloria in excelsis deo ”
As they sang, the most amazing thing happened. The color oozed back into the world and snow began to fall. Cole, Cam and Bobbi had a warm feeling in their hearts, and it was spreading.
Around every corner there came a flood of people from every walk of life: young, old, Christian, Jewish, Hindu, rich, poor, tall, short. Every type of person imaginable was running to the center, holding hands.
Tears streamed down Cole’s face. He knew his grandma was now at peace, and this was better than any adventure he could have ever dreamed of. The whole world was hand in hand, mouths open in song, in celebration, in jubilation. Everybody was one.
As they repeated the chorus one final time, Cam got goosebumps. The song was over, but the love was just beginning. And nobody would ever remember what happened that day. Nobody, that is, except for two boys and a dog.
© Copyright 2009 C. Rush (crush0359 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1614934-Two-Boys-and-a-Dog