*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1615146-Jasonboat-and-the-broken-brdige
Rated: E · Short Story · Children's · #1615146
Jasonboat helps the harbour master with a building project but something goes wrong
Jason Boat was enjoying the lovely sunny day, and particularly enjoying not having to ferry people to and fro across the river. He sat by the harbour side watching some workmen build the Harbour Master's new offices. But after a while he began to get bored.

The Harbour Master came to have a chat with him. "It's seems like one of those days." he said to Jason. "Don't think we'll be needing you for the rest of the day."


Jason Boat slipped his moorings and decided to take a trip up river to do some exploring. He had never been this far inland before. As he sailed up the river the channel got narrower and the water got shallower. He passed a family of ducks and ducklings who were playing in the reeds by the river bank.

"Well, they're having fun." said Jason to himself.

Jason continued up stream until he came to the wooden road bridge that crossed the river. Now Jason was a very curious little boat and so he sailed underneath it to find out what was on the other side. There was nothing of any great interest so he decided to turn back and head for home.


Jason was swishing about idly trying to make his day a little more exciting, and as he passed under the bridge he came grinding to a halt.

"What's happening?" he thought. He realised that his bow line had dropped into the water and had become tangled around a part of the bridge.

"Help!" Jason called, but no one came to help him. Then he saw one of the ducks.

"Excuse me!" he yelled. The duck turned round to see what was going on. "Can you untie me please, I seem to be stuck."

"Serves you right for being so nosey and clumsy." said the duck, and she swam off with her family leaving Jason Boat on his own.




Jason Boat started his little outboard engine and pulled and pulled and pulled. He could feel his timbers creaking and his engine straining. Then after one big jerk Jason shot off down river as his bowline came flying over and ahead of him.

He was free of the bridge.


Jason gathered his bowline and carried on gently down river back to the harbour.

"That's the last time I go that far from home again." he said.

When he arrived back at the harbour side, he found the Harbour Master stood scratching his head. He looked very puzzled indeed.

"What's the matter?" asked Jason.

"The tiles for the roof of my new offices should have arrived here by now but there isn't any sign of them." he said. "I do hope they arrive soon because I think it's going to start raining at any time."

Jason looked up to the sky and agreed with the Harbour Master.


Just then the Harbour Master could here his phone ringing.
"Who could that be?" he said.
"It might be your roof tiles." said Jason helpfully.

The Harbour Master rushed off to his old office and answered the phone. Jason watched as he ranted and raged on the phone.
After a rather long conversation the Harbour Master came rushing out.




"Your lazy day has just come to an end Jason. You'll be needed on the other side of the river shortly." said the Harbour Master.

"What for?" asked Jason.

"To transport my tiles across the river to the building site. It seems the bridge over the river has been damaged and the police have closed it off."

Jason fell silent. "Oh dear." he thought.

"Erm, okey I'll do everything I can to help." Jason said.

"I can always rely on you Jason in the case of an emergency." the Harbour Master said.

Jason blushed a little. He felt very embarrassed.


After a short while a lorry appeared on the other side of the river loaded with lots of roof tiles. Jason motored across and the men began to load Jason up with the tiles.

Jason sped across the river as quickly as he could. He had to be very careful. He was so heavily loaded that the water was very nearly coming over the sides. He managed to get the first load across and the builders began to fix them on the roof.



As Jason was halfway across the river to pick up the second load he could see spots of rain falling on the river. They got steadily heavier. Jason speeded up, was loaded with the second lot of tiles and was frantically making his way back across when the rain began to get steadily worse.

"Oh no. The Harbour Master is going to be very disappointed if his office gets wet." Jason thought.


Jason made a third and final trip. His engine began to smoke and Jason looked exhausted. He had never worked so hard in all his life. Even some of his paintwork had been scratched.

As the rain came down ever harder the builders finally put the last tiles up.
Jason breathed a sigh of relief.

The Harbour Master stood outside with his umbrella and watched as the last tile was put on. He was very relieved indeed.



Jason was coling down after all the hard work when the Harbour Master came to the harbour's edge.

"I dont know how to thank you Jason." he said. "Without your help my new office would have been ruined. Thankfully only a little damage has been done."

Jason gave a nervous smile, then the Harbour Master walked back to his office. Just then the ducks came by.

"We know why the truck was late." the mother duck said sneeringly. "You should tell the truth. They'll only find out sooner or later."

"But I daren't." said Jason.

But the ducks left Jason shaking their heads in disapproval.


It continued raining for over an hour, and it gave Jason time to think about what he had done.

when the rain stopped the Harbour Master came out to check that everything was alright.

"Excuse me." said Jason sheepishly.

"Yes Jason. What is it?"

"I have to confess that it was my fault the tiles never arrived on time. I'm very sorry Harbour Master."

The Harbour Master listened to Jason and how he went off because he was bored but didn’t realise the damage he had caused.

"Well Jason, it's very brave and noble of you to admit it. But you must make sure that in future you take great care in what you do. But at least you were around to help me out. Well done.”
© Copyright 2009 bickerstaffe (bickerstaffe at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1615146-Jasonboat-and-the-broken-brdige