*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616386-My-Dearest-Son
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Military · #1616386
A mother's reply to her son's letter who is fighting overseas.
This is a response to
The Letter  (18+)
A soldier's letter home.
#1519025 by audra_branson







October 22, 2009

My Dearest Son Nathan:

I reread your letters every morning while I have my cup of tea.  Sort of my ritual of spending time with you while you are away.  Even with all the devastation happening, somehow it gives me a sort of peace. I hear your voice softly talking to me, and see the way your eyebrow raises slightly when you say something you aren’t sure I’ll approve of.

Nathan, there is nothing you could do that I wouldn’t approve of.  You are fighting for our country and the lives of others.  The lives of people you don’t speak the language of or understand their culture.  And you are doing it bravely.  I know sometimes you don’t feel brave, but, Son, bravery does not come from being able to shoot the enemy down without a second thought.  Bravery comes from knowing what you are doing isn’t necessarily the choice you would make, but it is the right one at the time - for the greater good - and doing it with your head held high.

You spoke of “Old Man Wilkerson” in your last letter.  It’s funny that he seemed old to you as a boy, because decades later he’s alive and kicking.  He volunteers at the Senior Center and he’s older than most of them there.  That’s irony for you.  Anyway, he remembers you and Johnny playing soldiers.  We talked about it yesterday as we took our morning walk.  He mentioned that watching you two had always been bittersweet to him.  It reminded him of his time served.  At first, he was disturbed that playing war brought joy to children, but he says upon reflection he realized it was a child’s tribute to the heroes they would never know.

Son, I wish I could promise you that everything will be fine, but those promises come from our good Lord, not mankind.  I do promise you the chicken and dumplings will be waiting for you and I pray that soon my morning tea time is spent looking at your handsome face instead of just reading your cherished letters.

All my love,
Mom
© Copyright 2009 audra_branson (abranson at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616386-My-Dearest-Son