*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616569-It-was-a-caprice-classic
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Contest · #1616569
Grandma leaves her car, her only possession to me in her will.
The phone rang at precisely 4:10. I knew it, because that is the exact time my daughter walks in the door from school. Eager to speak to her about her day, I felt irritated to hear the phone ringing. "hi baby, dont go anywhere yet, let me answer that, i want to talk to you" I said with a one minute finger gesture as I walked towards the high pitched ringing.
"hello" I said in my professional tone.
"Cathy, Cathy Moore, this is your great uncle Bill" said an unfamiliar voice on the other end. I did not respond. "Cathy, your grandma Pearl has passed. She has left you her only possession, her car"
Dumbstruck, I just said a simple and emotionless "Okay".
"You can pick it up anytime, its at the Saint Francis Memorial Hospital, in Indianapolis" "The keys are under the mat" he said.
Again, I still didnt know what to say, I felt as though I had heard a ghost. I mumbled another barely eligible "um, Okay". I had not seen or heard from my grandmother since I was a child. When she divorced my Grandfather, she simply packed her bags in her car and drove away. I did not know where she went, My mother and her brother Bill, also did not know her whereabouts for nearly 22 years. Of course my completely distraught Grandfather whom had been married to this woman for 39 years was completely heartbroken. Her choice to abandon him in their golden years came as more than a surprise.
I had my daughter drive me to the hospital garage. I asked the garage attendant if he knew where pearl Sparks had parked her car? He did, to my surprise. I was not thinking when I spoke with uncle bill, where I would find her car, or even what kind of car it was. He handed me a piece of paper with Pearls name on it as well as a location. Level B Lot 89. We proceeded into the garage, Level B was below where the long term patients could park. It was not public parking. There in Lot 89 was Grandma Pearls Chevy Caprice Classic. Funny, it was the same car she drove off in all those years ago.
© Copyright 2009 Christy (cheiro at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616569-It-was-a-caprice-classic