*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616602-Zombie-Dream
by AaronT
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #1616602
I often dream of zombies. This is one of them that I stretched out a little...
There was a high school pep rally going on, for some reason I was in band. There was food served. Don’t remember what kind. People ate, yay…Then we started unloading instruments and whatnot from the bus. That’s when things got weird.
         People stopped in their tracks, took a bear-crawl stance and started throwing up like no other. First it was only one person, and then two and then it seemed as if half the crowd was on the ground spewing their guts; myself included.
         Then it got worse. The thrown up food was soon replaced by blood, and people started falling down, covering themselves in their own blood and filth. Their bodies were twisting violently. Those who weren’t throwing up were freaking out. Not the most helpful, but what is to be expected of high school students.
         Except for me of course, because I’m damn awesome. I repeat that while I did throw up, it stopped there. My waste was not replaced by blood and I did not fall to the ground in pain. I wiped my mouth and stood back up; aching. I looked around and things were really crazy.
         There was blood and throw-up everywhere. All those who fell victim to whatever was in the food stopped moving, which meant about seventy-five percent of the students were on the ground; silent. Hopefully they weren’t dead. The other twenty-five percent of the students were running towards the exits. But it was a slippery floor, and people tripped over silent bodies and fell, which stained them with the floor’s filth, too.
         Well I was in the very back, so I just watched. Apparently some Carrie-like shit was going on and the exits were locked. There were no windows; just a  typical indoor gym.  While the others freaked out, I kept my cool. In difficult and stressful situations, it is most wise to keep your emotions in check, or else you fall victim to them. It seemed I was the only one thinking rationally, and I searched the gym for another possible exit.
         As I scanned over the gym and told myself what I saw.
         “Let’s see….bleachers, locked doors, nasty nasty people on the ground, more locked doors…more bleachers.” I sighed. “More bleachers….a vent.” My eyes focused there. “A vent!” I exclaimed. “There we go” I smiled. Of course there would be a vent as means of escape, so fucking cliché. It was after all, a dream.
         I walked carefully to the vent, stepping over pools of blood and motionless bodies. I got to the vent and studied it.
“Kay, so it’s screwed into the wall” I said to myself. “Greaat”. I had no tools on me, so I thought rationally.Then I had an epiphany.
              “Of course!” There was a toolbox near the instruments. I knew that, because I had brought them into the gym.  I twitched. My emotions were under control, but something was bugging me. Something bad was about to happen; something really really bad. The feeling in my gut was saying “Get the fuck outta here!!!”
         So I made haste. I jogged to the toolbox and picked it up. As I turned around my gut feeling magnified so that it encompassed my whole body. Fear and adrenaline pumped through me, and I sprinted back to the vent. However in my haste, I slipped on a pool of blood which took my feet from under me. I fell backwards, and my head made a beautiful sounding thud as it hit the hard gym floor. I was dazed for about three seconds.
         “Well that hurt” I muttered.
I staggered back to my feet and quickly, but carfefully, made my way to the vent. I searched the toolbox and found the one tool that matched the screw and got to work. It took me about ten seconds, but I had the first screw off.
         “Only three more to go” I said to myself with a rueful little smile. I was about halfway done with the second screw when a freakishly hellish scream filled the gym. I turned around to see what made such a horrifying sound. It was a girl who had fallen victim to the food. She was now standing, twitching her body violently. It was like she was having a seizure while standing up. She screamed again, and I shivered me timbers like no other.
         “Janet!” said some white girl. I didn’t know any of these people; I was just there.
         “Hey girl are you ok?” said the white girl as she made her way across the gym. She stood within ten feet of Janet, apparently frightened. My gut feeling was nagging me to get out of there, but I had to see what happened next. My sick mind knew something not-very-attractive was about to happen. I had to see what would ensue. I curse my morbid-ness.
         “J-Janet” stammered the girl as she got even closer. Janet just stared. I twitched some more. Then suddenly, Janet screamed with anger, and charged the white girl. The girl put her hands up defensively, but was no match for Janet’s rage. Janet tackled her down and bit the girl’s neck. Her screams became muffled as blood filled her throat.
         “Well, I totally didn’t see that one coming” I said sarcastically. I lied; I totally did see that one coming. I turned around and finished the second screw. Then more unholy screams came from behind me. I already knew what was happening, but I figured this. The food was tainted with something, and all those who ate were now infected with that something.  The once motionless bodies were now standing up in the same manner Janet had.
         “Ok so their zombies now” I sighed to myself. “Great”.
         My logic was this: Seventy-five percent of the students were now dead and wanted blood. I myself had eaten the poisonous food, but had not turned into a zombie, because I am much too beast for that. There were now twenty-five percent of students who were still alive, but would soon become victims of their fallen friends. I knew without looking that all those zombies would choose the bounty at the locked doors, so I was ignored. I had two screws to take out, which would take me about twenty seconds, assuming I was not interrupted. I needed to get to work, and fast. I thought all this in about a second. I am very smart you see.
         I heard the charging of clumsy feet as they made their way towards the life-filled students at the locked doors. I did not want to look behind me; I already knew that those students were fucked with a capital “F”. However, I was working on my salvation. The third screw fell.
         “Only one more!” I whispered violently. Then my ear twitched. Someone was behind me, unmoving. I turned around and met a pair of hungry eyes. My logic kicked in again. Janet stared at the girl before she charged, and zombies are very similar, which meant I was about to get charged at. I decided to take the pre-emptive.  I grabbed a hammer from the toolbox.
         The zombie screamed.
         “rawww—“ . His scream cut off as I crushed his skull with the hammer. I didn’t need any extra attention you see. However I was too slow, and I looked up to see three hungry zombies making their way toward me.
         “You jerk!” I said to the zombie that I just killed. The hammer I held was heavy, which would make me clumsy. I would not be able to fight off three zombies with it alone. I returned to the toolbox and found a six-inch screw driver. Unnecessarily large tools have their uses too. I turned around to have a hungry zombie jump at me. However, the stupid zombie slipped on the same blood-pool that I did, and fell in the same way as I had. I took the opportunity and crushed his skull with the hammer. I am good at crushing skulls, you see.
         The second and third zombies were coming at me simultaneously. I would not be able to fend them off if they reached me at the same time, and they would; I knew they would. I arched my arm back and threw the hammer at the zombie on the left. I am not adept at throwing hammers, so I assume I got lucky. The hammer crashed into the zombie’s nose and made a sickening crunch. Ten points for me.
         The third zombie was suddenly in my face. It was a female. She attempted to bite my throat, but I was stronger. I held her gnashing teeth away with my right arm as I stabbed her right eye with the screw driver in my left arm. I shoved all six inches of that screw driver until the handle was firmly placed in her eye socket. She stopped moving and fell to the floor. I shivered; it was an unpleasant thing to do, but necessary.
         I returned to the vent and started working on the last screw. I ignored the screams of dying teenagers and finished the job just in time. I quickly glanced behind me and saw ten charging zombies. They were ten feet away from me.
         “Oh shit oh shit oh shit” I repeated as I crouched and stepped into the vent. The inside of the vent was about four feet high and three feet wide. Unnecessarily large vents are helpful for zombie survival. I wasted no time in navigating through the vents; I knew the zombies would fit in there as well. I reached the vent exit and kicked it open. As soon as I stepped out a bloody hand reached from the vent and grabbed my ankle. I hadn’t realized the zombies were so close; why did I let that happen? I would scold myself for that later. I stepped on the hand mercilessly and broke the bone. I shook it off and ran to my sexy 07’ Pontiac Grand Pree. I stepped inside my car and sped away. I had survived.
         
© Copyright 2009 AaronT (ted083561 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616602-Zombie-Dream