*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616920-The-Game
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Sports · #1616920
Game seven of the World Series. What happens in "The Game"?
         
                                                                            The Game

                                                                              by Aaron




              Marvin Anders stood behind home plate watching as the pitcher went through his pre pitch routine. Carl Stewart, a rookie relief pitcher with the Milwaukee Brewers, removed his glove and clutched it under his arm as he rubbed the surface of the baseball, his eyes peered down as he kicked the pitcher's rubber to knock the dirt from his cleats. He bent down to pick up the rosin bag that had been resting on the back side of the mound. He popped it up in the air letting it settle on the back of his hand, popping it up a second time and catching it in the palm of his hand. Satisfied that the rosin had done it's job, he let the bag drop back to the ground. Turning to face home plate, Carl put his glove back on, pushing the baseball deep into it. Leaning over with his pitching hand resting on his back, Carl peered in at the catcher looking for the pitch sign. He shook off the first two signs before settling on one he liked.
         As Carl stood up going into his windup, Marvin crouched down behind the catcher. His eyes level with the strike zone. He waited as the pitcher went into his kick. He watched as the pitcher's arm cocked back then catapulted forward.
         There was a loud smack as the baseball passed the batter and struck the catcher's mitt.
         Marvin signaled ball one.
         The crowd erupted. The sound was deafening. Marvin's heart pounded with adrenaline.
         The catcher tossed the ball back to Carl and he started his pre pitch routine all over again as the  batter went into his routine.
         Marvin glanced around the ballpark taking in the excitement surrounding him. This is what he had dreamed of twelve years ago when he called his first baseball game. He still didn't believe it but here he was. It is game seven of the 2029 World Series, pitting the Milwaukee Brewers against the Baltimore Orioles. The series is tied three games to three games.
         Carl and Marvin had something in common, this was the first ever World Series for both of them. Marvin had umpired in a couple of divisional playoff series but had never made it to the big one until now. Umpires were chosen based on their performance during the regular season. This had been a particularly good season for Marvin. The umpire rotation had put him in the middle of the deciding game.
         It had come down to this. Ninth inning, tie game 6-6, two outs, bases loaded. Carl needed to get this batter out to send the game to extra innings and give his team another chance at winning the World Series.
         Carl went into his wind up and delivered the next pitch.
         Marvin signaled ball two. The crowd roared even louder. If Carl walks this batter the game would be over. A walk would force in the winning run. The pressure had to be unbearable for the rookie pitcher.
         Marvin adjusted his mask as he got into position for the third pitch.
         The ball sailed toward home plate. The batters muscles twitched as he swung at it. There was a loud crack as the ball struck the bat.
         Marvin, Carl and everyone else watched as the ball soared into the air. The fans came to their feet preparing to cheer their teams game seven victory. The Orioles team came off the bench to the dugout stairs to watch. The Brewers shoulders slumped as they watched. As the ball landed, the crowd remained silent, disappointed. The Orioles players went back to their original positions. The Brewers breathed in relief. The ball had drifted into foul territory. Strike one.
         Most of the fans returned to their seats. Some remained standing, discussing and imagining what could have been if the ball had stayed fair.
         Carl had inherited the situation from the Brewers normally automatic closer. When the closer came in in the ninth inning the Brewers had a one run lead. The closer was able to strike out the first batter. The second batter, however; had hit a towering home run to center field, tieing the game and sending the fans into a frenzy. The third batter sent the ball into the right field gap for a double. The fourth batter popped up to the short stop. The next two batters had been walked loading the bases.
         Unable to wait any longer, the Brewer's manager signaled to the bullpen for a right hander on his way to the mound. Carl Stewart the rookie phenom was going to be pitching in what might be the biggest game of his life and he was only a rookie. The Brewer's manager was putting a lot of faith in the young pitcher out of Texas University. He was also likely putting his job on the line as well.
         Carl prepared for the fourth pitch. The batter dug in at the batter's box.
         The pitch was delivered. The batter checked his swing. Marvin indicated ball three. The catcher appealed to the first base umpire. The first base umpire indicated that the batter had indeed checked his swing. The call would remain ball three.
         The crowd erupted with cheers as they agreed with the call.
         The next pitch would be crucial to the Brewers. If it is a ball or hit the game would end with the Orioles winning the World Series.
         Carl peered in for the catcher's sign. He shook off the first sign. Nodding his head in agreement with the second sign, Carl prepared for the next pitch.
         As the ball neared the plate, Marvin could see the batter tense in anticipating of swinging, but there was no swing. Instead the batter's eyes followed  the ball as it crossed over home plate and settled into the catcher's mitt with a dull thud.
         “Striiiiikkkkeeee twooooo!” Marvin bellowed over the crowd noise.
         The boos rained down on him from the crowd, along with a number of unflattering insults about his eyesight and his parentage. The batter eyed him and shook his head in disgust as he backed out of the batter's box.
        The count was full three balls and two strikes.
         Carl wiped the sweat from his forehead on his sleeve. He took a few extra seconds to gather himself. He took a deep breath to calm his nerves. He stepped back on the mound.
         The batter looked to the first base coach for his sign. He stepped into the batter's box and got his feet set. Taking a couple of practice swings, he prepared for the next pitch.
         Carl nodded his head indicating to the catcher that he liked the pitch that was called. Going into his wind up, Carl peered at the runner on first base. He turned his head back to the batter just as he delivered the pitch.
         Marvin looked over to the Brewers dugout as they all stood up to watch the final pitch. There was a loud smack as the ball struck the catcher's mitt.
         Everyone was waiting for Marvin's call. What did he do?  Oh my god he thought, I missed the pitch! I don't know what to call! What do I do? Everyone is waiting.
         If I call a strike the game goes into extra innings. If I call a ball the Brewers lose and the Orioles win. I could request assistance from the first base umpire, but then everyone will know I missed the pitch and I'll be ridiculed for life.
         All this taking place in a few seconds, but it felt like days. The only fair thing to do was request assistance. With his head hung low Marvin motioned to the first base ump who indicated it was a ball.
         The Brewers lose the World Series on a missed pitch by Marvin. Marvin Stewart never called another game in the major league, too embarrassed to continue with his career. The replay of that fateful call continues to be replayed over and over, even after fifteen years.
© Copyright 2009 genmit02 (genmit02 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1616920-The-Game