*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1617506-Hiruma-Ameno-ooi---Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Romance/Love · #1617506
It's a story about a man who finds love in the right place at the wrong time in his life.
Hiruma Ameno ooi

Chapter 2: “Okashi”
Katsu walked his way back into the main street, as all the shops started to fill up with early customers, coins clinging and delicious smells. The morning mist had completely disappeared at that point, and it was definitely a beautiful sunny morning for touring the village on foot. He decided to turn right on the first alley he saw, to get away from the crowded main street for a while. This alley was filled with houses and small stores, and as he went on forward, he found a great construction site on the left side of the houses. It looked as if the building that stood there had been turned into ashes, many men were removing piles and piles of rubble, and the constructors were checking the bases for the new structure. He continued his way down the alley, lost in thought on how would the building had caught on fire; when a loud group of children passed by him by, making him stumble. Regaining his balance, he saw how the excited group ran to another alley on the left, screaming about a race to a place called “Okashi” and something about a new flavor. Following them further down that alley, the group of children threw themselves into the showcase of a small store, and then he saw Yukari Momonari coming from behind the showcase, smiling gladly at the sight of the children.

Yukari: Good morning. Isn’t it too early for you to be here buying sweets?
Kid 1: But today you have a new flavor Momonari-san! 
Kid 2: Yes, and we want to know what it is!
Kid 3: And try it!
Yukari: It’s barely been 15 minutes after breakfast, you can’t have sweets this early. 
Kid 1: Please Momonari-san, please!
Kid 3: Just a bit, at least to know what it is!
Yukari: Ok, I will give you a small sample. But you’ll have to find out what the new flavor is by yourselves, alright?
Kid 1: Thank you Momonari-san!

Yukari pulled a small tray from the showcase, filled with bite-size cookies. She offered one to each child; and then putting them away she watched their reactions.

Kid 2: It’s delicious Momonari-san!
Yukari: Have you figured it our yet?
Kid 3: It tastes like… like butter.
Kid 1: And sugar, lots of it!
Yukari: And? Anything else?
Kid 2: Like milk too…
Yukari: Those are the ingredients I used! Now tell me what flavor could it be?
Kid 4: Oh, I know! I know!
Yukari: Yes?
Kid 4: Condenmsed milk! Right?
Yukari: You got it right! Those samples you tasted are from my new condemsed milk cookies!
Kid 1: They’re delicious! I want more!
Kid 2: Yeah, me too Momonari-san!
Yukari: But only after lunch, okay?
Kid 1: Yes Momonari-san!
Yukari: So I’ll see you then?
Kid 2: Yes you will! And please make tons of those cookies!

The group of children waved goodbye, with shining smiles on their faces, and ran away in separate directions. Yukari waved back smiling too, and she continued storing pastries behind the showcase. Katsu stood for a few moments, deciding whether he’d say hello and buy something from the beautiful Yukari, when a small group of young man walked into the showcase. They looked like a gang, especially because of the pompous leader heading the posy.

Gang Leader: Good morning Yukari-san!
Yukari: Good morning Watanabe–san. May I help you?
Shou: I told you; you can call me Shou-kun, my dear Yukari-san. And yes, you could help me with something.

Yukari finished storing the fresh pastries, raising her head and looking at the young man with polite interest.

Shou: Would you make me the honor of being my sweetheart?
Yukari: Watanabe-san, you’ve already asked me…
Shou: Third time’s a charm, right boys?

The posy behind him nodded, and the leader gave his most charming smile in hopes to convince Yukari; but she only looked disappointed.

Yukari: Watanabe-san, I really appreciate your… offer… but as I told you before I’m not interested in a relationship right now…

As she was speaking, Shou held Yukari’s hands softly; but then with a rough gesture he pulled her from behind the showcase closer to his face. Looking into Yukari’s frightened eyes, Shou whispered to her in a very dangerous tone. 

Shou: Listen to me. You can’t embarrass me again in front of them, understood?
Yukari: Watanabe-san, let go! Please, let go!
Shou: Not until you kiss me in front of them.

Shou’s face was getting closer and Yukari couldn’t help closing her eyes. But instead of feeling Shou’s lips pressing on top of hers against her will; she only felt a quick gust of wind and then a groan. Opening her eyes she found the familiar shape of Katsu Togakuchi standing in front of her, holding Shou high in the air by the neck of his clothes.

Shou: What the? Put me down!
Katsu: If you act like you’re the man in charge, then get yourself down.

Shou struggled, trying to kick and punch Katsu. But Katsu simply smiled at the teenager, numb to his silly attempts to hurt him in the ribs or the crotch.
 
Shou: Put me down, now!

The gang members looked confused at each other, seeing how their debonair leader was stuck in the strong clench of a stranger. They reacted abruptly, throwing themselves over Katsu in order to release their leader. But with amazing skill he dodged away all the attackers; still holding Shou from his collar. The gangsters dived again to attack him, but a very frightened Shou made a gesture so they would stop.

Shou: Please, put me down and we’ll go at once. We won’t mess with you, or Yukari-san. I promise.

Without saying a word Katsu simply released his hand from the teenager’s collar, and Shou fell to the floor with a loud thud. He immediately stood up and ran away with his posy behind him. Yukari was still behind the showcase, blushing at the sight of Katsu smiling handsomely at her.

Yukari: It’s the second time you’ve saved me Togakuchi-san. I’m so sorry you had to witness that…
Katsu: I’m sorry I had to intervene like that. But he was crossing the line with you.

Yukari smiled at Katsu, both relieved and glad, then bowed down respectfully before him.

Yukari: Thank you so much Togakuchi-san.
Katsu: It’s alright. I’m just glad you’re okay Momonari-san.

Before she stood straight again, Yukari pulled something out from the showcase, and with her pretty smile she offered it to Katsu. Taken by surprise, he held the pack of cookies inside his hands, and bowed down to her in gratitude.

Katsu: Thank you Momonari-san. The popularity of your pastries already reached me, and I was looking forward to coming to your shop. How much are these cookies?
Yukari: They’re on the house. I know it will never be enough to demonstrate how grateful I am to you.
Katsu: I have a very sweet tooth, so this will be more than enough for me. If that’s all I can help you today then, I’ll see you around Momonari-san…

Katsu smiled and putting the pack of cookies inside his pocket he turned away to leave, but stopped and turned back to Yukari, who was still looking at him attentively.
Katsu: Do you by any chance know if they’re receiving any workers at that construction site nearby?

Katsu put his elbows on top of the showcase, as Yukari went back and forth from inside the shop to where he was, still accommodating pastries and prices signs.

Yukari: Oh sure, Shin-sama is always recruiting anyone who can help dig out and move rubble away.
Katsu: And where can I find Shin-sama to apply for the job?
Yukari: You can ask at the construction site for him directly.
Katsu: Okay, thank you very much.

Katsu removed his elbows from the showcase, standing up straight to continue down his path. 

Yukari: Oh, before you leave… Togakuchi-san might I ask something?
Katsu: Please do, Momonari-san.

Katsu remained in front of the showcase, smiling at the young woman’s sudden curiosity.

Yukari: You’re not from around here and you’re planning to stay for a while, right?
Katsu: Yes, you’re right.
Yukari: So how long are you planning to stay here at Tottori?
Katsu: Um, I’m not sure. About a month or two.
Yukari: Oh, then I might be of assistance to you. You see, I’m renting a room… and I think it might turn out cheaper than living in a hotel. I was just wondering if you’d be interested…

Her green eyes locked with his, mesmerizing him again. Katsu got lost in his own thoughts, remembering the first time she saw Yukari in the graveyard. Completely soaked and beautiful. But he escaped from the bliss this time, listening clearly to her proposal.

Katsu: Really? Would you rent a room just like that, to a perfect stranger?

Yukari was taken aback by Katsu’s question, and mumbled her answer trying to act more calmly, still blushing.

Yukari: Well, you’re not such a stranger to me. I’m only trying to repay your kindness Togakuchi-san. What do you say? You take the room?
Katsu: I think… I will. I hope I’m not a burden to you and your son.
Yukari: No, not at all. I’m sorry for insisting so much, but I really need the money for the upcoming festivals.
Katsu: Sure, is it okay if I bring my things back here later? I’ll go talk to Shin-sama first.
Yukari: Of course, I’ll be waiting for you then.
Katsu: See you then Momonari-san.

Finally Katsu turned away to follow his path, now turning back his steps towards the construction site he passed by earlier. He quickly found the Shin-sama Yukari talked about; a tall and slim aged man, who was the most polite and easy-going elder Katsu had ever met. He immediately got the job to start cleaning the rubble that was still left. Katsu found out that the reason of the fire was during the demolition of the building, when someone accidentally hit the electric cables, causing a spark to spread through the freshly demolished wood. In some way,  Shin told him, it had made the demolition easier; but putting out the fire wasn’t an easy task. Neither the rubble cleaning, thought Katsu to himself, as he went back and forth from the construction to the trash bins. He pretty much cleaned a quarter of the construction site all afternoon, and Shin was pleased at the evident strength this new worker had. He paid Katsu his day fee and patted him on the back for the good job. Katsu couldn’t believe such stroke of luck he had. He had found a wonderful village, with great food, a good job with good pay; and now, a comfortable place to sleep. Tottori village had definetly been written on Katsu’s destiny since that rainy morning when he ran to it unknowingly.

He walked back to the inn to get his things, counting the money Shin-sama had paid him, and wondering how much would Yukari charge for renting the room. Lost in his mental accounts, he didn’t notice the two moving shades that went from roof to roof behind him. The shades waited for him to come out of the inn, and continued following him to Yukari’s house. As soon as the door opened, the shades disappeared, fading into the darkness of the rooftops. Katsu was welcomed in by Kenta, who was very excited to see him again. Yukari came out of the kitchen wearing an apron, smiling at the sight of Kenta taking some of Katsu’s things and taking them upstairs.

Katsu: Thanks little guy. Good evening Momonari-san.
Yukari: Good evening, how did everything go with Shin-sama?
Katsu: Great, I got a job cleaning rubble. But the pay is good, so don’t worry about the rent.

Yukari giggled, grazing her little boy’s head as he past by her coming from upstairs into the kitchen.

Yukari: About that, the rent fee is 100 a week, or if you prefer its 400 a month.
Katsu: That’s perfect for me. The hotel fee would’ve been double.
Yukari: I’m glad it suits you. Dinner will be ready soon, I hope you like ramen.

And with a smile she went back into the kitchen, and Kenta came out with a couple of cookies, handing one to Katsu.

Katsu: You’re allowed to have dessert before dinner?

He asked, taking a mouthful of the chocolate-chip cookie Kenta had already finished.

Kenta: Yeah, my mom let’s me have one once a week. Come with me, I’ll show you your room. 

And they both went up the wooden stairs into the second floor. They walked along the hall with two doors on the right and one of the left.  Katsu assumed that would be his room. Kenta pushed open the sliding door, revealing a small room with tatami carpets and a shoji window; with a tea table and a futon.

Kenta: Your bags are already in here Katsu-kun

Said the child, pointing him to the closet at their right. Katsu entered the room looking at it with a broad smile on his face, and then turned back to look at Kenta.

Katsu: Thank you very much.
Kenta: Thank you for helping us Katsu-kun.
Katsu: Let’s go back downstairs and help your mother with dinner.

The boy nodded and they both went downstairs. Yukari was already serving dinner, and the three of them sat down to eat.
© Copyright 2009 Paibon09 (paibon09 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1617506-Hiruma-Ameno-ooi---Chapter-2