*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1617768-The-Warning
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Dark · #1617768
A strange messenger brings a warning. (Flash Fiction)
Written for the Daily Flash Fiction Challenge with a word limit of 300.


The prompts: This story must contain the words: wagon, thunderstorm, money


The Warning

The worn old wagon rocked back and forth on the cobblestoned road that led to the center of the village. There was nothing particularly interesting about the wagon itself, nor the old man that drove it.

The beast that pulled it along was another matter altogether.

It was a giant creature that stood nearly eight feet tall - hard to tell exactly as it leaned forward into its yoke. There were two large horns coming out of the sides of its head which was the size and shape of that of a large ox. Its blue skin could be seen beneath the patches of black curly fur that covered most of its body. One might think it was a giant ogre until close examination revealed hoof-like feet at the base of its two hugely muscled legs; the tell-tale sign of a messenger from the Underworld.

As the wagon approached the town center, there was a crowd following along, curiously reluctant. They found the spectacle at once terrifying and captivating.

The wagon stopped. The old man got down and walked to the communal fountain and filled a bucket. He gave it to the beast that drank as if it had been a long time between drinks.

The town elder was pushed forward. Shakily, he approached the old man.

“We, we don’t know what you want. If its money you’re after, we can give you what we have which is very little.”

It was the beast that spoke. He raised a finger and pointed towards the dark thunderstorm clouds that appeared to have followed him in from the south.

He roared.

“Run! The gates have been breached and evil this way cometh!”

The old man jumped onto the wagon. They left the village heading north as fast as the beast could go.

Word count 300

http://www.jimdillingham.blogspot.com
© Copyright 2009 Hyperiongate (hyperiongate at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1617768-The-Warning