*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1618523-The-Long-Way-Home
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1618523
A fairy's homecoming
The Long Way Home


She woke up in a glen where the stars were shining brightly overhead. It was so quiet that the lack of sound must have been what had awakened her.

“Where am I?” she whispered to herself. She glanced down to see what she was wearing and realized she had on her favorite pink pajamas and her bunny slippers.

“This has got to be a dream,” she thought. I’ve got to wake up, taking a few moments to pinch herself but to no avail, she was still in the glen, by herself and all she wanted was to be home in her bed. Tears began to well in her eyes. This couldn’t be happening to her, yet it was. “I want to go home,” she cried out.

“You will, very soon,” answered a melodic voice from somewhere above her.
Looking up she saw this beautiful glowing creature.

Shaking her head, trying to clear it she said “this can’t be happening.”

“But it is,” said the fairy. “Welcome back, Moira. It has been a long time since you visited on your own, so I brought you back to help you remember.”

“Remember what?” she said indignantly.

“That we are real, not just something you imagined. You began to forget about your true home. You’ve spent too much time in the world of human’s,” the fairy answered. “Don’t you remember? You went into their realm to find out why young ones left behind their dreams and no longer came to visit our land on the other side of their dreams. “You said, ‘there has to be a reason and I’m going to find out the answer no matter how long it takes.’ “Remembering anything yet?”

Ignoring her question Moira said, “If that’s so, why am I still… human?” She thought she had the little creature with that answer.

“Because your heart only sees what you have become, a human adolescent that doesn’t believe in the land of enchantment, so before you lost anymore of yourself, I brought you home, as per our agreement.”

“This can’t be true,” Moira continued. “I see the sky above us. I’m in some kind of glen. Nothing looks magical here, except you.”

“That’s because we are not in the land of the Fae. We’re just outside the doorway. I wanted this time together to let you know you shouldn’t be ashamed of having failed. We have always lived on the edge of human childhood memories and that is the way it was meant to be. So daughter, it’s time now to shed your human form and to return home where you belong.”

In less than a twinkling, Moira was once again a beautiful golden fairy.

“Mother?” Moira asked. “I’m so sorry.”

“There is no reason to feel that way. This was your adventure that you needed to take before you came into your responsibilities. A fairy princess should always know the people who live outside her world to better understand them when they are allowed to visit. Is that not so?”

“Yes mother, it is,” Moira answered. The enchanted doorway opened and they flew into their realm together.

Word Count: 520


sig created by Kiya
© Copyright 2009 ShelleyA~13 years at WDC (shelleya at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1618523-The-Long-Way-Home