*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1619570-Deadly-Romantic
by Basia
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Gothic · #1619570
A dead romance - first short story I have written for many moons :)
I opened the door. The floors were of the same stone the walls were built in. It was so dark, and I had no means of light. But, I knew I was close. Had to keep going. He would protect me if he was here. If he wasn't then I couldn't care less what happened. So close. I just have to keep walking.

I reached out to feel the other side of hallway. Found it. "Now just move forward Keely", I said to myself. Your so close to his touch. A breeze touched my hand. I knew if I headed straight up the hallway it would be just like my dreams. This was the same house. I'd been here all along. For weeks now. How could I have not known.

I moved forward with one hand on the cold stone, the smell of damp cooling my nose. Inch by inch I moved  down the hall. Suddenly I felt a dip in the wall. I stopped to investigate. Reaching up to feel out a door, I was let down at the continuation of the wall. I fell to the floor and just sat there. Am I losing it? I felt around me in the total darkness. I felt something crawl across my hand. My blood ran cold. I'm not the only living thing between these walls. I fell backwards and let out a silent scream. There was that dip in the wall again. I felt around with renewed vigour. There is something here. I touched every inch of that area - there was a door. So small. Barely 2 feet square. I pushed at it. It felt like it would never move. "Please!" I whispered. The door relinquished. It opened.

Pushing the door as far as it would go, I put my hand through to the other side. I couldn't see a damn thing. I stuck my head through the door and looked around for any hint of light. I could smell water. Placing my hands on the doorway I began to climb through. Something caught my jacket and I gasped. Echoes abounded. This was not a room. There was light above me, that barely let me see where I was. This place was long & narrow, like a well. Trying to undo my jacket I realized I was caught on an exposed beam or something. Reaching out I discovered it was an old ladder. I now knew  what my next move was. I went back into the stone hallway, turned around and prepared myself to descend down the ladder. I knew he was here. He is here, I'm going to find him...

I climbed onto the ladder and made my way down. With each step praying I wouldn't lose my footing. It was cold, the walls were wet. The ladder was wet. My shoes were getting damp. I grabbed hold of the next rung on the ladder, but something gave way. I could feel myself falling. I could hear myself screaming and feel my hands scraping the sides of the walls. With hot blood running down my hand, my head hit the wall. The feeling of terror as I kept falling. Hot tears streamed down my face when suddenly, I felt warm. Arms wrapped around me, the softness of velvet encircled my being. So beautiful. I could feel his warmth, his face so close to mine. I hit the floor. I was alone.

***

Looking around I could see a doorway. An old decaying door with a huge bolt locking it. The door didn't match anything else in the house - it seemed bigger, more substantial. I got up and moved across to the door and pushed with everything I had. It moved. I pushed again. A little more movement. One more time I said to myself. I ran at it and threw myself at the door and success! With a resounding creak and sound of splitting wood the door cracked open. Its bolt would never move from its resting place but the hinges will. I took a deep breath to quieten myself and slowly but surely, broke down the door. With a final blow of my throbbing & bleeding hands, there was a space big enough for me to get through.

I stared at the hole I had made. I began to doubt myself. I looked a mess. Covered in blood & torn clothes - God only knows I  looked like. I knew I was going to find him when I stepped through this door. With one last breath to quieten my soul I walked through. The room was so dark. The light from the where I had just been let me see only a few feet in front of me. Closing my eyes a few moments to adjust to the available light, I opened my eyes. I made out a few items of antique furniture. Accumulated dust and dirt, dampness and rot had made firm friends of them. There was a bed in the corner. A four poster with the curtains drawn. I dared not move. I have found him. He is right here. Is he watching me, can he hear me? I ran across to the bed and threw back the rotting fabric.

I jumped onto the bed, drew down the sheet that had long been shrouding his face. My heart stopped, I felt so nauseated. I wanted to kiss him - this man, sleeping dead for so long. Lying here in this windowless chamber. I brushed the cobwebs from his face. He was so very cold. Still so beautiful. I pressed my lips to his. So cold. So hard. I moved to place my temples against his, my warm tears trickling onto his cheeks. 'My love..my pure bliss" I whispered into his ear. I lay down beside him with my arm holding him tightly, willing myself to sleep, knowing I would never again wake up.
© Copyright 2009 Basia (basia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1619570-Deadly-Romantic