*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1619838-Kiss-of-Sacrifice-The-Proposal
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Other · #1619838
Prologue one of the book, Kiss of Sacrifice

The smog clouds rolled across the dim lit sky as Jack outstretched a plaid blanket upon the crackled Earth. His stark hazel eyes gazed towards the horizon, where the towers of Newsburg towered above the thick dusk like awaiting vultures.

Jack Cullingway knew the city well. Newsburg, after all, is where he lived and worked. The lull of an easy living can thrust even the most sincerest of individuals into the dump of corruption. A city that you either learn to love, or despise full heartedly. Of course Jack had other reasons to be attracted to the overcast shadows, namely her.

The car door slammed shut. “Jack, can you help me out with this?” Jack turned to face her, Sara Blanke. Her ash blonde air bouncing with each precious step she took.
Arising he reached for the basket she carried, his eyes fixated upon her simple figure. “I’m glad you decided to come.”

She nudged him playfully. “Of course. What could possibly be more romantic than a picnic at night overlooking a dump?”

Jack shrugged, “I work in that dump, thank you very much.”

“You could always move in with me in the suburbs”

“And you could always move in to the city with me… but we both know that isn’t
going to happen.”

“It’s not my fault your so damn stubborn Jack.”

Jack shrugged as he began unpacking the basket. “It’s not my fault you haven’t
changed me yet.”
“What is that supposed to mean?”

Winking he tossed her a Tuna Sandwich. “I’ll let you figure that one out on your own.”

Together they ate in silence as the sun finished its decent behind the iron curtain. The moon arose to take its rightful, illuminating the city in ghostly shadows of black and white. Savoring the moment, Jack leaned forward kissing Sara lightly upon the cheek. “I love you.”

Minutes passed into hours as the moon continued its assent across the blackened sky. Soon the picnic basket emptied, leaving only a half-lit candle and the smell of enticing fragrance as a remembrance of the occasion. The chilly night air sent shivers down both Sara and Jacks spine, forcing the couple closer together as the night progressed. At last their separate figures where unrecognizable, distorted by the silhouette of darkness.

Jack reached clumsily for the picnic basket, unwilling to leave Sara’s side. Stirring, Sara responded in a sleepy tone “is it time go get going?”

Jack smiled to no one but himself. “Not quite yet. I have something to give you.” Nudging Sara slightly, he handed her a black box. The box was sealed with the stub of a lilac flower.

Slowly she removed the lilac, opening the box to reveal stainless steel, diamond embroidered ring. “Will you marry me?” Sara didn’t give a verbal response; rather, she kissed him firmly upon the lips as they both embraced in the darkness of the night.

************************************************************************
The glaring lights, blaring sirens, and siring pain pulsating through my body brought me back to reality. I was alive, yet survival was the farthest thing from my mind. Only one thought remained in my shattered mind, and that person remained silent in the seat next to mine…Sara Blanke,






© Copyright 2009 Xavier Gosser (axgosser at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1619838-Kiss-of-Sacrifice-The-Proposal