*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621260-Come-Back-to-Haunt-Me
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Death · #1621260
A girl kills her boyfriend so he comes back to "haunt her".
                Jason’s dead body feels icy in my gloved hands as I abscond through the soft snow in the nipping cold. I look down at Jason. His face is pale and his body looks scrawny. Not that I could expect anything more, since he is but a lifeless figure. But, he looks nothing like the boy I once fancied.
         Hours ago he was my love. Now he is my secret.
         How could I have done such a horrid thing? Kill my own boyfriend? What kind of a person would do that? A lunatic, that’s who. I am nothing more than pretty on the outside and a lunatic on the inside. Not that I wanted to. I was just overcome with so much rage that I couldn’t control myself.
         I glance at the knife in Jason’s stomach. His gray shirt is now stained a deep crimson red in the middle.
         I run through the woods, trying to get as far away from town as possible, where they will never find me. Hopefully. After scurrying through the woods for a while, I place Jason’s body down carefully on the floor. Then, using the shovel I brought along, I begin to dig a hole, so deep that I’m sure they will never find him. Poor Jason. He won’t even get to have a proper funeral. I place his body in the hole and place the dirt back into the hole and place some snow on the spot where the hole had been, so that it won’t look obvious. If they ever find the body, I’ll attend the funeral. But they won’t.
         “Goodbye, Jason. I will always love you,” I whisper before I turn and head back towards town. But as I turn, I feel an eerie extra-cold breeze against the back of my neck, sending shivers down my spine.

         “Hey, Rebecca,” someone whispers my name. I turn around. It’s Alyssa.
         “Yeah?” I whisper back.
         “Did you hear?”
         “About what, Alyssa? You have to be more specific than that.”
         “They found a body in the woods yesterday and they think it’s Jason’s.”
         Immediately, I stop breathing. The world stops spinning. All I feel is that strange cool breeze that I felt back in the woods. Except this time, it was even colder, so cold, that I shiver aloud. What? How? Didn’t I conceal well enough. Then I remember. The shovel! That stupid shovel! I left it there!
         “Really,” I ask, frightened.
         “That’s what I heard. He was stabbed. There was a huge knife in his stomach and he looked disgusting.”
         “I…I…” I then ask to go the nurse because of a “stomachache.” But instead, I go outside and sit in the bitter freezing cold. No. No. No! NO! This can’t be happening. NO! They can’t have found it. That body will ruin my life. I sink down and all I hear and feel is that uncanny frosty, chilly breeze. Even my huge sweater couldn’t keep me warm. Could it be…Jason’s ghost coming back to haunt me? It is. I know it is. I swear I can hear it whisper my name over and over and over and… Before my mind can tell me otherwise, I run to our local police station, into the chief’s office, and holler at the top of my lungs for everyone to hear, “I did it! I killed Jason Abdul!!!!”
© Copyright 2009 littlemissauthor123 (youngwriter101 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621260-Come-Back-to-Haunt-Me