*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621542-Even-At-the-End-of-the-World
by Doom
Rated: E · Short Story · Fantasy · #1621542
A short story about two old friends who thought they would never meet again.
The moon was high in the sky, illuminating the moor with an eerie glow.
"You came back for me..." Words alone could not express the joy.

The shadowy one turned away. He cast aside the emotional remark, but in his soul, the fire still burned.
"I thought you were dead. I thought we would never see each other again." The thought alone brought tears to the small one's eyes.

Still, the other remained silent. Always an introvert, even as the planet died...
"I thought I wouldn't get to say goodbye."
Neither one of them spoke. There was pure, clear silence characteristic of only the most desolate places.

Finally, the silence was shattered by a quiet voice.
"You know, you never had to leave."

They both reflected on this for a while, staring at the infinite night sky.
The small one finally spoke again, still not making eye contact with his long-lost comrade.
"I can't even remember how many times I stared longingly at those stars... Wondering if maybe, just once, you were looking at them too."

"I was."

The old magic of Ryuuxalar had come alive again, if only for a moment. So the legends were true... Two souls from different galaxies, united again under the cold moon of a demon star.
"You know what they say about this place?"

The redheaded introvert shook his head.

"They say that once you've seen the monolithic tombs of long-dead demon kings... When you see the mountains rising up over lakes as deep as oceans... When the stars guide you across a lonely moor, and you hear nothing but the beating of your heart because the nearest city is a thousand miles away..."

The small one tried to build up the suspense, but the redhead looked rather bored.

"...That you'll long to return here until the day you die."

A grin crept across the pale, ghastly face. Fangs gleamed in the moonlight.

The small one's laugh resounded throughout the dark plain, bouncing off the rocky foothills in the distance.
It echoed maniacally through their ears for a moment, until it died and gave way to silence at last.

Ravenwolf finally spoke again. Amazement was in his voice this time.
"You came back for me..."

Crono looked towards the moon, dreaming of all the secrets it had witnessed throughout the centuries. He was hesitant to respond, but finally, he choked out his words.
"Even at the end of the world."
© Copyright 2009 Doom (adastra at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1621542-Even-At-the-End-of-the-World